The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie **Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentubbs) | 48 comments Ok, so, i'm reading this right now, i'm about half-way through it and I love it!! Haven't really heard a whole lot of other people talking about it, but just wondering if anyone else here has read it. Anybody??

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Uhh, is this the "House" Hugh Laurie? The actor?

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I see that it is. Hmm. I like him. I may have to pick this up.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Well, uhh, I FIRST thought of him as one of the characters from the BBC S&S, but the name escaped me so I used another example. LOL

We don't get a lot of British tv here you know. ...Not that I watch TV anymore anyway.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yes he was. Mr. Perkins, was it? I can't remember the character. It was a small one.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Oh, you're right. It was the movie. *sigh* Why do you ALWAYS have to be right? :P

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) (And it was Palmer.)

message 8: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments House wrote a book? I may have to check this out!

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Fiona wrote: "he probably has been a Perkins before.."

Maybe it was a skit or something. I dunno. We've just taken over this thread.

Sorry about that. =\

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10025 comments Mod
So I will totally have to get this one! I read the first page and love his conversational tone.
Not to mention I think he is sexy as all hell in House!

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) Lori wrote: "So I will totally have to get this one! I read the first page and love his conversational tone.
Not to mention I think he is sexy as all hell in House!"

Oh....I think he is VERY sexy....let us know how the book progresses...never knew he had written a book.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Lori wrote: "So I will totally have to get this one! I read the first page and love his conversational tone.
Not to mention I think he is sexy as all hell in House!"

Ditto that.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentubbs) | 48 comments yeah...love that people are talking about it!! yeah, this is the guy from house...which is why i picked it up...he's SOOO funny in that show and i thought that this should be pretty good too!! so far, it's great!! i'm loving the way he writes...the story it's self is kinda 007, but in a different, not quite so cool way, but his tone is amazing! he points out things that have literally made me laugh out loud. fortunately (unfortunately...depending on how you look at it), i've been sick the past couple of days, so lots of reading time!! i'll let you all know what i think when i'm done, but if it stays the way it started, it'll be great!!

message 14: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10025 comments Mod
I love that... "Fortunately..Ive been sick".... Thats how I felt when I had to get my wisdom teeth pulled :)

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentubbs) | 48 comments hey...just wanted to give you a little taste of this book...i just found this quote and loved it. it's right in the middle of a hostage situation, but his tone is so light, you wouldn't know it! it's just so funny. here goes:

"I was shown into a room. A red room. Red wallpaper, red curtains, red carpet. They said it was a sitting-room, but I don't know why they'd decided to confine its purpose just to sitting. Obviously, sitting was one of the things you could do in a room this size; but you could also stage operas, hold cycling races, and have an absolutely cracking game of frisbee, all at the same time, without having to move any of the furniture. It could rain in room this size."

love it!!

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) LOL! That's great! I'm going to have to get that one.

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) Thanks for the "taste" of the book.

Looks great.

message 18: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 332 comments I had no idea he published a novel! Love, love, love him...and now must add to my ever-growing TBR pile.

message 19: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (mamallama) | 130 comments I have had this on my TBR list for a while. I just love Hugh Laurie! My hometown library doesn't have it, but I need to check with the library by my work. I'm looking forward to it.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (rsnm) I have this book at home ready to be read. I'm not there now but I plan on starting when I get back next week. Has anyone finished it yet?

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentubbs) | 48 comments yes...i finished it last night. ok, in my opinion, the first 3/4 of the books were great...super funny and interesting story. but the last part of the book lost most of it's humor, simply because it was mostly just the story. and the story got kinda confusing. but since i was mainly reading it to get a laugh, it def served it's purpose. hope other people read it and tell me what they think!!

message 22: by PDXReader (new)

PDXReader Becky wrote: "Well, uhh, I FIRST thought of him as one of the characters from the BBC S&S, but the name escaped me so I used another example. LOL

We don't get a lot of British tv here you know. ...Not that I w..."

What's "S&S"? I was a fan of Hugh Laurie's when he was in Blackadder & in Bernie & Wooster, but I hadn't heard of S&S.

I'll definitely have to pick up the book. He's certainly multi-talented! He's a fantastic musician as well.