Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Mike Grell
This topic is about Mike Grell
Book Issues > Individual Books vs Omnibus

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Waldo (last edited Apr 24, 2019 02:06AM) (new)

Waldo Varjak | 36 comments What shall I do? How shall I represent the book I have read?

I am reading individual issues in their originally presented format, which were later collected into omnibus anthologies. I can only find the anthologies listed, which differ from content adding remarks and even whole new illustrations. A big difference from the original individual books, particularly with regards this author's omnibus editions since he is often the illustrator, is the absence of colour.

Anyway.... other authors such as Ian Fleming do not suffer from this situation as both their individual books and omnibus collections are represented on Good reads. However the individual books of this author (and others like him I suspect) does suffer.

These are books that do not have individual ISBNs. Moreover, these are books that were published in periodical format, on a bi-monthly and monthly basis over the course of many years, long prior to their being collected into their omnibus format.

What shall I do?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
Waldo wrote: "Moreover, these are books that were published in periodical format, on a bi-monthly and monthly basis"

Which means they do not meet Goodreads criteria to be added to the database as books. How you handle shelving and reviewing the anthologies is entirely up to you, not to mention outside the scope of this group.

message 3: by Waldo (new)

Waldo Varjak | 36 comments rivka wrote: "Which means they do not meet Goodreads criteria to be added to the database as books."

Fair enough. I see a number of periodicals listed on GR such as Heavy Metal Magazine in perfect bound format as well as BD in hardcover format. There are also saddle stitched periodicals like Classics Illustrated that cover stories, and even Playboy Magazine features short stories, like Heavy Metal, often by acclaimed writers from a broad spectrum.

Should not graphic novels, that collect periodicals under one wrapper, also be considered periodicals?

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 18480 comments Waldo wrote: "Should not graphic novels, that collect periodicals under one wrapper, also be considered periodicals? "

No, because periodical means a series published periodically (monthly, bi-monthly, weekly, etc.) A collection of comics (or "graphic novel") is a singular work.

message 5: by Waldo (new)

Waldo Varjak | 36 comments Thanks for the clarification. Scott wrote: "No, because periodical means a series published periodically (monthly, bi-monthly, weekly, etc.) "

And in the case of periodically published graphic novels/anthologies (128 pps)? I can think of a few off hand. Neil Gaiman comes to mind first for original contributions to such a periodical. These may present first publication as well as reprints.

These "book" lookalikes would also be considered periodicals, no?

message 6: by Emily (last edited Apr 26, 2019 06:41PM) (new)

Emily | 13538 comments Waldo wrote: "These "book" lookalikes would also be considered periodicals, no? "

If you wanted to post links to some examples, someone would be happy to take a look at them. If they have ISBNs or are perfectbound, they are usually books on Goodreads.
Books might be periodically published, but not the other way around, i.e., periodicals don't count as books.

message 7: by Waldo (last edited Apr 27, 2019 02:55AM) (new)

Waldo Varjak | 36 comments Emily wrote: "If you wanted to post links to some examples, someone would be happy to take a look at them. If they have ISBNs or..."

Ok. Vertigo, The publisher imprint of Gaiman's Sandman. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I also note that not all books have ISBNs. I think this came into vogue in the 1980s.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13538 comments Some of these would be books because they are Kindle editions. Some are not because single-issue comics without ASIN or ISBN do not count as books on Goodreads.