Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly > 2019-05 - Stand Alone - What's on your TBR?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PAS, Moderator AC (new)

PAS (Mods) (pasmods) | 582 comments Mod
The Shelf for May 2019 is stand-alone

I think the name of the shelf speaks for itself and I'm sure all of you have plenty of books read and to-be-read on this shelf so let's see:
1. How many have you read on page 1 alone
2. How many of (1) above did you rate 5 stars
3. How many have you got to-be-read on page 1 alone
4. Finally, what would you actually pick up to read in May?

message 2: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8476 comments Mod
1. 26 books
2. 4 books
3. only 1 ?!?! :O
4. The Shifting Fog and/or Wild Awake and/or The Bone Sparrow ~ I really have too many to choose from!

The Shifting Fog by Kate Morton Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith The Bone Sparrow by Zana Fraillon

message 3: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4428 comments Mod
1. 24 on page 1
2. 4 on page 1, although I have more 5* on other pages of this list
3. 3 on page 1
4. Everything I Never Told You because it is both on my Wheel 3 plan as well as needed for Bookopoly

message 4: by Lusie (last edited Apr 24, 2019 09:50PM) (new)

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 87 comments 1. I've read 9 books on page one.
2. I gave 5 stars to The Princess Bride, pride and Prejudice and Ready Player One.
3. I have 6 TBR on pg 1.
4. I'm going with something else though not sure what.

message 6: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1590 comments 1. I have read 16 on page 1.
2. I gave 2 of them 5 stars (a high percentage for me)
3. 0 are on my TBR
4. I am currently reading Spinning Silver. Apart from that I have no idea.

message 7: by Tien (new)

Lusie wrote: "4. I've got no idea yet. I'll probably pick one of these:

Cruel Beauty
Beastly
[book:What Happened to G..."

Ooh! Read McKinley's Beauty!! One of the best retelling- one I'd read & reread and will probably reread again one day :)

message 8: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Apr 24, 2019 05:47PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1007 comments I have Dear John and The Last Song. I will probably read "Dear John" I can use it for one of the stages. I have read 20 on page 1.

message 9: by Lusie (last edited Apr 24, 2019 09:53PM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2956 comments Thank you very much Tien! I was already thinking about reading one of the retellings on my list, since I haven't read one in a while and I enjoy that genre. I think I'll read Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley then!

Is it even better than The Beast's Heart? I really liked that one (it's also one you recommended me)

message 10: by Tien (last edited Apr 24, 2019 11:13PM) (new)

Lusie wrote: "Thank you very much Tien! I was already thinking about reading one of the retellings on my list, since I haven't read one in a while and I enjoy that genre. I think I'll read Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley.

Ach, please don't ask me to pick! They're both Faves of mine. Beauty is definitely more traditional and beautifully simple.

And speaking of retelling, I've just finished Vasilisa the Wise and Other Tales of Brave Young Women. I've loved this one so very much too! Kate Forsyth is a must-read for me... She has a doctorate in fairytale studies!!! This book has 7 fairy tales; all strong & wise women. And illustrations were gorgeous! Each illustration is a montage of photographs -avg 70 each except for one that has hundreds. Amazing...

Kate Forsyth also has a Beauty & The Beast inspired story: The Beast's Garden which is historical fiction set in WWII. Note the 'inspired' rather than a retelling ;)

message 11: by Tien (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I have Dear John and The Last Song. I will probably read "Dear John" I can use it for one of the stages. I have read 20 on page 1."

You seem to be a Sparks fan, Jayme?

message 12: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1344 comments 1. I've read 13 on page 1
2. 5 books
3. 2
4. I'll be reading Coraline for sure as I also need to read it for Bookopoly. I might squeeze in something else as well

message 13: by Tien (new)

oh, I loved Coraline, Marina! Both movies & book! I hope you love it too :)

message 14: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1344 comments Tien wrote: "oh, I loved Coraline, Marina! Both movies & book! I hope you love it too :)"

I'm sure I will! The movie was lovely, although I know I should have read the book before watching the movie.

message 15: by Tien (last edited Apr 25, 2019 01:21AM) (new)

I don't know if you remember the movie but there are a number of differences...

message 16: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4428 comments Mod
Tien wrote: "Ooh! Read McKinley's Beauty!! One of the best retelling- one I'd read & reread and will probably reread again one day :)"

I do not generally enjoy retellings, but Mechanica, a book I chose for a task on SRC, took me by surprise. Its main genre is Steampunk, but it was definitely a retelling of Cinderella. Thoroughly enjoyed it as the retelling was an undercurrent of the story NOT the story.

message 17: by Tien (new)

hhhmm, that reminds me of Cinder a bit. Have you read that one, Bea? I need to get onto the rest of the series ha ha ha

message 18: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4428 comments Mod
Tien wrote: "hhhmm, that reminds me of Cinder a bit. Have you read that one, Bea? I need to get onto the rest of the series ha ha ha"

No, as the title was too much a reminder of Cinderella.

message 19: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2956 comments Tien, you don't have to choose! lol I'm just glad to hear you love them both. i've read a few books by Kate Forsyth and liked them.I'll add the book you mentioned to my tbr! Thank you for the rec.

Bea, Mechanica sounds good.

Tien, I enjoyed that series though didn't like the first book Cinder very much.

message 20: by Tien (new)

I think I got overexcited with the premise of Cinder but whilst I enjoyed the book, I didn't get that excited that I had to read the rest of the series immediately so I guess it was ok for me.

@Bea: So what is it about Cinderella that you're not keen on?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1007 comments Tien wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I have Dear John and The Last Song. I will probably read "Dear John" I can use it for one of the stages. I have read 20 on page 1."

You s..."

Actually, I have a few of his books but I never read him. I have seen some of the movies.

message 22: by Tien (new)

oh, I don't know why but I thought you always seem to be reading his books or maybe you always want to... lol

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1007 comments I have interest in some of them because of the movies.

message 24: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4428 comments Mod
It isn't Cinderella that I'm not keen on...it is the whole genre of re-tellings. However, sometimes I stumble on one unawares and find that I really enjoy that particular book.

message 25: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Apr 26, 2019 05:26PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2804 comments Mod
1. 13
2. 2 of them - The Princess Bride and The Girl on the Train
3. 8 of them (I need to get crackin'!)
4. Believe it or not, none of the ones I am reading this month are ones I included in the answer to #3. They are:

Sidney Sheldon’s The Silent Widow
The East End
Daughters of the Lake
The Wife
The Night Before

At least those are the books that I have slated to read that are on the stand-alone list. We'll see how many I get read.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2804 comments Mod
Tien wrote: "1. 26 books
2. 4 books
3. only 1 ?!?! :O
4. The Shifting Fog and/or Wild Awake and/or The Bone Sparrow ~ I really have too many to choose from!

[book..."

Ya, cuz you are the series queen!

message 27: by Karin (new)

Karin | 797 comments This will be easy, since I'll be reading Sweet Tooth for the next few weeks so that will count.

message 28: by Jess (last edited Apr 29, 2019 02:56AM) (new)

Jess Penhallow | 29 comments 1. How many have you read on page 1 alone

2. How many of (1) above did you rate 5 stars

3. How many have you got to-be-read on page 1 alone

4. Finally, what would you actually pick up to read in May?
Blackass by A. Igoni Barrett

message 29: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (kempfme) | 15 comments 1. I have read 15 on page 1.
2. I have rated 4 as a 5 on page 1.
3. I have 3 on page 1 that are on page 1.
4. I will read Salt to the Sea

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1007 comments 1) I have read 17 on page 1.
2) I have rated 4 books 5 stars on page 1.
3) I have 3 on my tbr list on page 1.
I will read "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks.

message 31: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 147 comments For this month I'm going to read The Help.

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3411 comments Mod
I've read 26 on page 1, and 3 of them I rated as 5 stars.
I have none marked TBR on page 1. But there's one on my "considering" shelf there. I think I'll move it up to TBR, and declare it my first stand-alone book to read for this month. It's Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

I also have a number of stand-alones on my LOST list, so I might try to include some of them.
Eastern Standard Tribe
The Defenders
The Machine Stops
City at the End of Time
Invasive Procedures
Shine

message 33: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1344 comments Susan, The Machine Stops is very intriguing - I've recently downloaded it from Project Gutenberg. I'll be interested to know your thoughts if you get to it.

message 34: by Mell (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) | 142 comments 1. 10
2. 7
3. 32
4. Ugly Love

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

message 35: by Paige (new)

Paige (iampaigeb) | 73 comments i am reading Water For Elephants for this months bookshelf. cannot wait to dive in

message 36: by Paige (new)

Paige (iampaigeb) | 73 comments I just finished and reviewed Water For Elephants. Now my next read is You. another stand alone. pretty sure anyways.

message 37: by Susan (last edited Jun 01, 2019 05:49AM) (new)

Susan | 3411 comments Mod
Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Susan, The Machine Stops is very intriguing - I've recently downloaded it from Project Gutenberg. I'll be interested to know your thoughts if you get to it."

Marina, I did just read it the last day of May. "Intriguing" is a good word for it. I put a bit more of a review in my post on the "What did you read ... ?" thread. I hope you enjoy it, too.