our own little world discussion

writing novels > novelist chat

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ayballin (new)

Ayballin Crow | 6 comments Mine is coming pretty well! I'm still just trying to get the entire book out... But it's really hard because it recently changed direction and I had to go back and change my prologue and entire chapter 1...
I'm only 4 chapters in so far...
Is this normal when writing a Novel? Or should I take my moms advice and just write the entire book before going back to edit...?

Also I should note that my mom is not a writer... Just one of the 3 people who have seen my book.

message 2: by owletkind (new)

owletkind I'd too go back to change right away if it's something big and important that needs changing! I like to think of it as a skeleton that carries the whole story. If the skeleton needs changing, I do it right away. If details needs changing, I write them down in a note pad or something, and save them for later when I edit :)

My writing is going well, I guess. I've had a lil break but I think I'll try to continue editing today. I have two stories going, one is finished and needs editing, one is a WIP and is basically just a wobbly skeleton atm...

message 3: by Ayballin (new)

Ayballin Crow | 6 comments So, today I was given some advice from a writer at one of the groups I go to and wanted to share it here! :)

I went in saying I was pretty stuck in my plot-line, and didn’t really know what to do. This guy suggested I write a letter to myself from my character, and explain how she is feeling about everything that’s going on... and it was AMAZING! I wrote 3000 words in 2 hours, and am totally NOT stuck anymore. All because I realized the conflict I had in my story wasn’t aimed at the right people.
Anway, just wanted to share. :)

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie_the_book_slayer) | 2 comments Ayballin wrote: "So, today I was given some advice from a writer at one of the groups I go to and wanted to share it here! :)

I went in saying I was pretty stuck in my plot-line, and didn’t really know what to do...."

That is such a cool idea!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!