What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Middle school fiction about a brother and sister visiting a town that exists only in fog while visiting their grandparents

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eugene (last edited Apr 23, 2019 06:52PM) (new)

Eugene Ward (eugenetheauthor) | 3 comments The novel centers on a brother and sister who I recall spent the bulk of the story visiting their grandparents. It involves a bit of the "this is boring we don't want to be here" track at the opening.

At a certain point the brother and sister find that on foggy days they can take a certain road and end up in a town in another world. The town as I recall it wasn't fantastical, just the sort of place where one learns life lessons and the belief in a little bit of magic.

When trying to get to the town on a clear day I believe I recall there just being terribly damaged and unfinished roads making it impossible to reach, but on foggy days the path is safe and complete.

I recall one scene clearly where there's a number of small children playing and an old man watching them sitting on the bench. The man is implied to be mute I think. One of the kids falls and hurts themselves and begins to cry. The old man picks them up and makes them feel better and the female protagonist reflects on how he was able to make the child feel better with nothing more than a gentle smile.

Another scene involves the children collecting berries of some kind in the other world, but the berries are gone when they are back in reality and try to show them to other people.

Another scene involves how the children were each given a gift. I recall the brother was given a pocket knife, I don't recall the sister's gift, it might have been something generating sound like bells or a music box. They fear that some day these gifts will disappear, but there's something of a "so long as you are pure of heart and believe they will still exist" sort of theme.

There's also implications that adults in their lives have been to the strange town, some remembering it clearly while others have chosen to forget the magic of the town, with one reflecting upon hearing the bells they'd been given for the first time in years after hearing the children talk about the town.

message 2: by Nachelle (new)

Nachelle | 146 comments Fog Magic by Julia L. Sauer? It matches some of your plot.

message 3: by Eugene (new)

Eugene Ward (eugenetheauthor) | 3 comments Nachelle wrote: "Fog Magic by Julia L. Sauer? It matches some of your plot."

It sounds plausible; I may have gotten some of my characters crossed. I'll look into it; thank you for your reply!

message 4: by Kris (last edited Apr 24, 2019 09:30AM) (new)

Kris | 34375 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of Fog Magic by Julia L. Sauer - Nachelle's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=AbV... are different cover images.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fog Magic (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Julia L. Sauer (other topics)