Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Will Read Clean, Well Edited Work

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Aug 27, 2019 02:34PM) (new)

Joanne | 22 comments I am not accepting new Beta Reads Now However, I would like to keep in touch with people who have written to me so far. I have an eye problem which I hope will get better. Thanks for your understanding.

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe Walters (joe_walters) | 33 comments Reaching out! Thanks, Joanne. 😊

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat Devitt (kat_devitt_author) | 101 comments Hello, Joanne!

I'm looking for beta readers with a love for fairy tales. This one, called "A Most Charming Couple," is a fairy tale but with a feminist take. Think of Prince Charming doing all he can for his lady love, but what happens when he leaves her?

If you would like to beta read, please contact me at katdevittauthor@gmail.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Kat Devitt

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Marsh (ekmarsh) | 22 comments Hello, Joanne! My MS is finished at 95,000 words, maybe more than you want to take on, but is a light comedic mystery that might enjoy. King of the Buckaroo Boys is the second book in a series featuring protagonist Charlie King (the first book, King of Hollywood, is unavailable for reading due to ongoing rewrites). Here's the blurb:

Grinding out serial Westerns and cut rate gangster films in late 1930s Hollywood, Clarion Pictures is a studio not quite on Poverty Row, but definitely in an adjacent neighborhood. When a cache of jewelry and cash goes missing from Clarion’s safe, studio boss Cornelius Klinker calls on his nephew, bit actor Charlie King, to investigate. In spite of being a devotee of hard-boiled crime fiction, Charlie is reluctant to play detective himself…until his uncle dangles a prime role under his nose and Charlie finds himself knee deep in the search for the culprit.

It’s a mystery that would challenge even his PI heroes, but then Sam Spade probably never had to contend with the loopy assortment of friends and family that distract Charlie from his investigation. Whether he’s trying to shield his beloved mother from the advances of a shady German industrialist, reunite a pair of broken hearted friends, or protect his naïve cousin from a conniving platinum blonde, there’s no lack of complications to frustrate and bewilder the good-hearted Charlie. Throw in a child star with a penchant for mayhem, an obsessive, lovesick dog and the unwanted attentions of a sexpot starlet, and it’s no wonder that Charlie finds it so difficult to focus on the case at hand. With his uncle’s deadline looming and scant clues to be had, can Charlie recover the stolen loot and nab the breakthrough role he’s been waiting for?

Just looking for general feedback, and especially notes on structure. If you're interested, shoot me an email and I'll send you the MS.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments Elaine wrote: "Hello, Joanne! My MS is finished at 95,000 words, maybe more than you want to take on, but is a light comedic mystery that might enjoy. King of the Buckaroo Boys is the second book in a series feat..."
Hello Elaine, Thanks for writing me. At the moment, I am having trouble with my eyes. For that reason, I am mostly listening to audio books. I will keep you in mind when I get better. Joanne

message 6: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 2 comments Hello Joanne, I'm wondering if you have the time to read a 27K completed manuscript. The genre is middle grade, YA fiction. The title is Dodger: A ferret's tail. It's typed in MS Word.

It's a humorous book about a ferret that escaped outside from an open screen door. His adventures start from there. When writing it, I thought of films such as Ice Age and Managascar,

If interested, please let me know by sending me an email at dpkara68@yahoo.com.

Thank you!

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments Deanne wrote: "Hello Joanne, I'm wondering if you have the time to read a 27K completed manuscript. The genre is middle grade, YA fiction. The title is Dodger: A ferret's tail. It's typed in MS Word.

It's a humo..."
Hello Deanne, I am not accepting manuscripts at this time. I am very sorry. I have been having trouble with my eyes. Mostly, I am listening to audio books. I will keep you in mind for when I am better. Thanks for contacting me.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 4 comments Hi Joanne. I see you might have your plate full, but if you're still open, I'd love a beta read and am very happy to trade reads or edits.

I have a light crime / mystery novel of 72,000 words. It's pretty clean and I don't need grammar edits. I'm looking, first, for BRUTALLY honest opinions and suggestions re plot and characters --
Where does it need more fleshing out?
What doesn't make sense? What's too unbelievable?
What needs to be re-worked or even deleted?
And any brainstorming type suggestions for what might be added to create a better read.

Please let me know what I can do for you in return. I LOVE critiquing and editing.

Cheers --

Carol

message 9: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Marsh (ekmarsh) | 22 comments Hello, again. I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your eyes. Hope you feel better soon and can get back to reading!

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments Carol wrote: "Hi Joanne. I see you might have your plate full, but if you're still open, I'd love a beta read and am very happy to trade reads or edits.

I have a light crime / mystery novel of 72,000 words. It'..."

Hello Carol, I am not accepting manuscripts at this time. I am very sorry. I have been having trouble with my eyes. Mostly, I am listening to audio books. I will keep you in mind for when I am better. Thanks for contacting me.

reply | edit | delete | flag *

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol | 4 comments Oh, I hope your eye problem is solved very soon. It has to be hard for someone who loves to read.

message 12: by Ron (new)

Ron (allthunbs) | 15 comments Joanne wrote: "Carol wrote: "Hi Joanne. I see you might have your plate full, but if you're still open, I'd love a beta read and am very happy to trade reads or edits.

I have a light crime / mystery novel of 72,..."

Hi Joanne:

I trust your eye problem is well diagnosed and a solution forthcoming. I have a possible aid for you that might make life a bit more enjoyable: on my Android tablet, I use an e-book display called FBReader that has a voice text to speech reader. I've combined this with the Ivona UK English voice Amy and it is excellent. FBReader will handle *.htm and e-book files handily and the voice is excellent (not computer-like) and actually has inflections and other vocal controls built in. I hope this makes life a little more enjoyable for you.

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments @Ron. Wonder how you got to this thread. Thought I erased it. Anyway, that app sounds like it could help me. Do you use the premium version which costs$?

message 14: by Ron (last edited Sep 21, 2019 04:41PM) (new)

Ron (allthunbs) | 15 comments Joanne wrote: "@Ron. Wonder how you got to this thread. Thought I erased it. Anyway, that app sounds like it could help me. Do you use the premium version which costs$?"

Hi Joanne:

Nope it ain't erased. Your problem description is still there. Ok, it's called FBReader and it's available on Google Play. The free version you have to install the text to speech engine called FBReader TTS+ Plugin. On the free version, pull in your book in *.epub or *.htm format. Flip to the first page of the story and select the three dots on the top right of the screen. At the bottom, if the TTS installed properly, you'll see speech or speech+. Select that, give it a minute to set the pointer and it will begin to read.

Now for the Ivona voice.

https://apps.goodereader.com/android-...

has the instructions to get the files from Google Play but they haven't been there since Amazon bought out Ivona. I found a *.APK for it at

http://apk-freedownload.com/download-...

Go right to the bottom of the page, past all of the garbage ads and you'll find "download APK" Download it to your device. There are instructions there to help you install it.

On the paid version, retrieve your book file *.htm or *.epub into FBReader. On the menu, top left, you'll find "Read aloud". Select that and it will take a minute to locate a pointer in the book. Once there, it will bring up a "play" button ">" in the middle of the screen. Touch that. Give it a minute and it will start reading aloud. If you don't like the voice, there's a selection of voices. If you've installed Ivona Amy on the free FBReader version, it should be on the list of voices available.

Now, you can use headphones or I use Aftershokz bone induction listening devices. Perfect if you want to ride a bike or other activity that requires that you hear your surrounding but still hear the book clearly. Any bluetooth device will work though.

I've edited seven books using this as an editor. I combine the FBReader with Colornote, copy a passage from FBReader, either a search string or passage with a note on the problem and store it in colornote. When I get to the word processor, I refer to the colornote notes and affect the changes.

I hope I've got everything right. I hope it helps.

Ron Woodall

message 15: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 22 comments Ron wrote: "Joanne wrote: "@Ron. Wonder how you got to this thread. Thought I erased it. Anyway, that app sounds like it could help me. Do you use the premium version which costs$?"

Hi Joanne:

Nope it ain't ..."

Thanks Ron for your kind assistance.

Tomorrow, I will try again to delete this topic. My eyes are better today. However, I have good and bad days with them. If they continue to be okay, I might put this topic back again some time.

Joanne