Play Book Tag discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016-19 Activities & Challenges > PBT Horizons—May Planning and Reporting

Comments Showing 1-50 of 132 (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7716 comments The culture theme for May is...

Brazil, nominated by anarresa!

This thread will be used for a couple of purposes:
• Announcing the culture (done!)
• Planning and discussing what books you would like to read (let the planning commence!)
• Reviewing your books starting May 1 . Books read and reviewed before that will not count.

Finally, if you want to read a book for the culture challenge in May, but it does NOT fit Brazil, that is totally fine too! You can still review it here for one participation point. Books that do fit the Brazil culture will receive two participation points.

Will everyone please put at the top of their review the culture they are reading for, whether it is Italy or another culture just to help me with scoring and to serve as a guide for others who are reading your review. Thanks!

Previous months culture themes
January - Iraq
February - Portugal
March - South Korea
April - Italy
May - Brazil

Clarification of Reporting Guidelines

The goal of the Expanding Your PBT Horizons Challenge is to read 12 books from other cultures throughout the year, which means you can read one a month or all 12 in January or any conceivable combination between the two. However, there are monthly culture themes added to the mix which makes for some unique reporting conflicts that the admins did not think of when posting the challenge. Thank you to Nancy for pointing it out!

The admins spoke and we tried to make this as fair and as simple as possible, so here are the three easy points to follow:

1) Each month there is a culture theme. If you choose to read for the theme—which is not mandatory—then you must read your book that fits that theme and post the review within the assigned month. You will receive 2 participation points per review and you can read more than 1 book, but each book counts toward your ultimate cap of 12 books for the year. *you can read more than 12 books if you like, but you only get points for this challenge for up to 12*

2) For books you read for the Culture Challenge that do not fit the monthly culture theme, you can do one of two things:

2a) You can post the books each month as you read them and simply label them as not fitting the monthly culture theme and stating what culture they fit. However, there are no "take backs" and once you report a book this way for 1 participation point, it counts to your total of 12 books.

2b) Alternatively, if you want to try to maximize your reads for the monthly culture theme, you can read other cultures throughout the year and wait to report them until late in December for 1 participation point each. An important point to this though is that even if you read a book in April and have been holding off on reporting it until the end of the year and then it happens to fit the December culture, you still only get 1 participation point for it because you did not read it in December.

Also, this only applies for the Culture Challenge. You should still write a review and post it in the monthly tag or nonmonthly tag folder in the month that you read it for regular PBT participation points.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 23, 2019 02:25PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4996 comments I really liked The Caregiver. It think it gives you a good sense of Brazilian culture, and some interesting social/political history. It's about a woman who grows up in Brazil and later becomes a Caregiver to a woman in California, so you also get a taste of the immigrant experience.

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments I will have to see what's on my TBR - can't think of anything off-hand. Will be fun to see what I can find.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7247 comments Theresa wrote: "I will have to see what's on my TBR - can't think of anything off-hand. Will be fun to see what I can find."

I need help here Theresa, or anyone else! I am planning to read Bel Canto for Culture and Beauty-but the GR "blurb" says "An unknown South American Country", so that won't fly

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7247 comments Has anyone read The Hour of the Star ? thoughts?

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Joanne wrote: "Theresa wrote: "I will have to see what's on my TBR - can't think of anything off-hand. Will be fun to see what I can find."

I need help here Theresa, or anyone else! I am planning to read [book:B..."

definitely won't since it is based on real events in Peru.

I'm doing some checking -- so far I'm batting zero -- first book to come to mind is set in Colombia, the next is Chile. I don't own or have on my TBR, or even read, much set in South America. At least not that I can think of yet.

I probably should email one of my Brazilian clients for suggestions!

message 7: by Booknblues (last edited Apr 23, 2019 03:02PM) (new)

Booknblues | 5504 comments I'm not sure what I am going to read but would second NancyJ's rec of The Caregiver and I think The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey would work as well. I have several others that I've read, which I will try to find.

I may finally read Backlands

message 8: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1952 comments I've narrowed down three on my TBR.

Backlands - Victoria Shorr - I've owned this since 2015 so it might be time.

The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey - Candice Millard - if I'm in a nonfiction mood.

Brazil - John Updike - I think it also fits the Beautiful tag.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5641 comments Joanne wrote: "Theresa wrote: "I will have to see what's on my TBR - can't think of anything off-hand. Will be fun to see what I can find."

I need help here Theresa, or anyone else! I am planning to read Bel Canto..."

Based on an incident in Peru ... so I don't think it fits.

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Just thought of one - and I don't necessarily recommend it - involves going up the Amazon into the rain forest and being amongst native tribes:

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett - I really disliked this book and found it very disappointing after Bel Canto.

Unfortunately - Green Mansions by W.H. Hudson is set in Venezuela and Guyana -- or maybe that is fortunately as I really did not like this one either - made me very angry when I re-read it a year or so ago. Beautiful descriptive writing, absolutely loathsome hero.

Now that my mind has zeroed in on journeys involving the Amazon in Brazil - I know I've read over the years a number of books involving journeys up the Amazon or otherwise set in the rain forest - mostly thrillers though. I have a weakness for thrillers and adventurous espionage type reads. If anyone interested in approaching it from that POV, let me know. I'll dig up some of the better titles.

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7247 comments Looking at Listopia " Books set in Brazil"

The Seven Sisters is listed there-I know some of you read this series, this is the first book-is it good fit here? From the blurb, its sounds like people are "jetting" all over

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7247 comments Whoop! I just found this one-I think it is the one for meThe River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey

message 13: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Some possibilities I've found:

The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon
Red Gold
Ninety Two Days: A Journey In Guiana And Brazil, 1932
Brave Music of a Distant Drum

To a large degree, for those of us who prefer fiction, it's going to come down to what Brazilian authors are going to be translated from Portuguese into English.

Off to email a Brazilian contact for suggestions.

message 14: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7716 comments Paulo Coehlo is Brazilian. He has a pretty large catalogue of books.

message 15: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 718 comments Theresa wrote: "Just thought of one - and I don't necessarily recommend it - involves going up the Amazon into the rain forest and being amongst native tribes: State of Wonder by Ann Patchett - I really disliked this book and found it very disappointing after Bel Canto.

State of Wonder by [author:Ann Patche..."

I totally agree about State of Wonder. My book club read it. There weren't many positive comments.

message 16: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7716 comments Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon by Jorge Armado also sounds like a strong possibility. I want to read a bit more about that one before I decide....

message 17: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 23, 2019 03:59PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4996 comments Joanne wrote: "Theresa wrote: "I will have to see what's on my TBR - can't think of anything off-hand. Will be fun to see what I can find."

I need help here Theresa, or anyone else! I am planning to read [book:B..."

How about State of Wonder? It's good but it gave me a nightmare about being lost in the rainforest of Brazil.

Added - I just saw Theresa's note and I would agree that it's hard to recommend. It was memorable though.

message 18: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 23, 2019 04:08PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4996 comments I'm considering

City of God - The movie was violent but fascinating

Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands

I wanted to read Veronika Decides to Die, but even though the author is Brazilian, the setting of the book is in ... Slovenia (I think)

I've seen more Brazilian movies than books. There was one about a letter writer and a child that was very moving.

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5641 comments I'm looking at Paulo Coelho's books and may pick one of those.

This YA / middle-grades novel would probably fit. I don't think the country is named, but it's definitely set in the Amazon basin
Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson

message 20: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4996 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I'm looking at Paulo Coelho's books and may pick one of those.

This YA / middle-grades novel would probably fit. I don't think the country is named, but it's definitely set in the Ama..."

Note - most of his books are set in places other than Brazil, so we may not learn much about the culture.

message 21: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7716 comments Perhaps we do not learn much about the culture, but support a local author!

message 22: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Here are some more options for Brazil:

https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/20... - it lists a novel by Brazilian author Paulo Coelho and I think I have something of his on my TBR.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/armch... - this list includes Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands which I may own...and was made into a movie.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/2014...

http://www.gringareads.com/gringa-rea... - this is interesting and promising! Provides information on English translations even though initially looks to be Portuguese titles.

https://www.tripfiction.com/novel-set...

For those of us who love mysteries: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~gjdemko/bra...

https://internationalnoir.blogspot.co...

message 23: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Nicole R wrote: "Perhaps we do not learn much about the culture, but support a local author!"

I was just thinking something similar. This pretty much looks like I'll end up either borrowing or buying a book. Nothing is popping up as a book I own and have on my TBR -- which is pretty much my goal with these challenges - to read what I already own and have not read.

message 24: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Here's a great summary of Paul Coelho's books.

https://theculturetrip.com/south-amer...

While most of his work is global, there are 2 or 3 Brazil that seem to be linked to Brazil.

message 25: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Brazilian author list: https://theculturetrip.com/south-amer...

Brazilian crime fiction: https://www.mysterytribune.com/top-10...

I'm getting the distinct impression that May is going to definitely push my horizons!

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8291 comments Everybody, the Seven Sisters by Lucinda Riley, Book One of the series is set in Brazil!

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8291 comments Does anyone know how to get to the Brazil goodreads shelf?

message 28: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments I recently read the graphic novel Daytripper by twin Brazilian brothers Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon. This trippy, slightly disturbing, beautifully illustrated graphic novel would qualify for Brazil culture and also for the "beautiful" monthly tag because of the art.

At one of the links Theresa posted, I also discovered that the same Brazilian brothers have created a graphic novel adaptation of a book by another Brazilian author called Two Brothers that is described thus: "Set in the port city of Manaus on the riverbanks of the Amazon, Two Brothers celebrates the vibrant life and diversity of Brazil." So I'm thinking this is an option for me that would likely qualify for both Brazil and beautiful.

Another possibility is Blood of the Wicked, a mystery/crime novel by Leighton Gage. The author lived in Sao Paulo, Brazil, for 20 years and was immersed in the culture.

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8291 comments Mathematicians Shiva comes up under Brazil. I didn't remember that.

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8291 comments I really don't have anything for Brazil. I'll follow this list closely. Exhausted tonight. Maybe for the first time ever, I don't actually do a challenge?

message 31: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8128 comments Amy wrote: "Everybody, the Seven Sisters by Lucinda Riley, Book One of the series is set in Brazil!"

That was what I was just about to post I'll try. Not sure if it will really get into the culture in Brazil, but it's my best option, so I'm going to try it!

I've not had any luck with the monthly themes. I've picked out two books for two of the months, and in the end neither really fit, so we'll see.

message 32: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8128 comments Amy wrote: "Does anyone know how to get to the Brazil goodreads shelf?"

How about this, Amy:
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/brazil

message 33: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5504 comments While I don't really need another series, I foundBlood of the Wicked and I'm willing to give it a try.

message 34: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 24, 2019 01:12PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4996 comments Thanks for the links! I found many interesting titles so far, and a few are in my library.

There was a little about the Carnival and the Samba competitions in The Caregiver, and I'd like to learn more about the dance culture in Rio. The Air You Breathe comes closest I think. I'd also like to understand more about the "Dirty Wars."

The Air You Breathe - A new book about two friends who met on a sugar plantation in Brazil. They go to Rio where they sing (and dance?), become celebrities, and visit Hollywood. The book includes song lyrics. I like that it might give a sense of both country and city life in Brazil. The book must have been well reviewed by librarians, because my library system purchased a lot of copies.

Child of the Dark: The Diary of Carolina Maria de Jesus - This was recommended by a friend who teaches Spanish Lit (and knows a little about Portuguese lit too), as an important book about Rio. My library doesn't have it, but there is a new book by the same author.

The Hour of the Star is a classic by Clarice Lispector, who wrote many other books. It sounds like the writing style might be too literary, but it's short so I'll give it a try.

Also...
*Symphony in White by Adriana Lisboa. This multi-generation novel sounds like it might offer us a good view of the culture and history of Brazil - with both rural and city life.
EDIT - most of the reviews are in a different languages, so the ratings may be based on a different translation. I'm ruling this one out.

His Own Man deals with the "Dirty Wars," and the author had direct political experience with them.

Nowhere People - award winner

message 35: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4996 comments Amy wrote: "I really don't have anything for Brazil. I'll follow this list closely. Exhausted tonight. Maybe for the first time ever, I don't actually do a challenge?"

Nah. That doesn't sound like you at all.

Keeping with the music theme of Daisy Jones, this one might appeal to you: The Air You Breathe

message 36: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1441 comments I think I'll read The Silence of the Rain

message 37: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8291 comments Ok- I looked through yet another couple of lists last night and found nothing, but maybe Cindy’s list will have something new. But in the meantime two new suggestions this morning. The hour of the star did not look initially appealing but somebody just mentioned it short. That might fit the bill. Because Nancy is right I’ll never not do it. And I think I will check out the air you breathe. And what is the silence of the rain? One way or another though, I don’t think there’s a thing on my TBR.

Must say though, took two more or three more books off my TBR last night. Stolen Beauty was on there, and it’s been on there for a really long time. But I have to say I really love to the movie so very much, that I realized maybe I don’t need to read the book. And I just have so much World War II on there. I also deleted news of the world. I think that had got a lot of strong press so it was on my TBR a long time. But I looked at the blurb and I thought this isn’t for me. I am just bound and determined to slash that thing. So maybe if the Brazil book is quick and dirty…

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8291 comments The air you breathe it is! Actually sounds beautiful! Perfect!

message 39: by Joanne (last edited Apr 24, 2019 07:06AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7247 comments Amy wrote: "Everybody, the Seven Sisters by Lucinda Riley, Book One of the series is set in Brazil!"

Amy, is there enough about Brazil, I hate "cutting" corners when it comes to this Challenge-I think I am going with the 2 I first found
The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey and The Hour of the Star-glad you found something!

I just looked-The Air You Breathe- is actually on my TBR! Imight join you if my library has it

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8291 comments Please join me, and infect anyone else who would like to, I’ve already put it on my library list and it comes quick! Now I’m really excited. Thank you all who helped me find the book. I only whined for a little while.

message 41: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4996 comments Amy wrote: "Please join me, and infect anyone else who would like to, I’ve already put it on my library list and it comes quick! Now I’m really excited. Thank you all who helped me find the book. I only whined..."

Yeah! I ordered it from the library last night, so I should get it in time. Plus my library has a free audio. Based on reviews I think this will be great for the culture goal, even if we don't love the whole story. A friend suggested that the girls are "frenemies" at times.

message 42: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments Rachel N. wrote: "I think I'll read The Silence of the Rain"

Rachel, this one looks good, and the cover is very striking too.

message 43: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson has been reco'd to me a lot, it might be time to finally read it!

message 44: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Alright, I've done some research, and have narrowed down to a few options.

The Caregiver: As other have recommended, about an undocumented Brazilian immigrant. Bonus, has a Korean author.

The Air You Breathe: A historical fiction take on Brazil with two young friends from different upbringings become famous. As NancyJ described.

All Is Beauty Now: Historical fiction of a family who leaves Brazil for Canada, and must come to make peace with their Brazilian past where the eldest daughter disappeared. Bonus: Beauty in the title.

Feast Days: About the Brazilian expatriate experience. New Yorker moves to Brazil, learns about the people by volunteering to help refugees, the country, while maintaining a struggling relationship with her husband.

Perfect Days: Mystery/thriller about a loner who kidnaps the girl he loves, and they go on a road trip to the same places she has written a screenplay of. Bonus: Brazilian author, translated book. Seems to have hot and cold reviews.

message 45: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8128 comments Critterbee❇ wrote: "Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson has been reco'd to me a lot, it might be time to finally read it!"

I enjoyed it and I'm pretty sure I tagged it Brazil!

message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8291 comments Joi, join us!

message 47: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5504 comments Joi wrote: "Alright, I've done some research, and have narrowed down to a few options.

The Caregiver: As other have recommended, about an undocumented Brazilian immigrant. Bonus, has a Korean ..."

I would like to add that while Park is Korean he was born in Brazil and The Caregiver does give a real sense of Brazil.

message 48: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I'm going to have to do some digging for this one, the only one I've read that would probably fit coming to mind right now is City of the Beasts, which I remember being good although the ending was a bit disappointing.

Theresa wrote: "Now that my mind has zeroed in on journeys involving the Amazon in Brazil - I know I've read over the years a number of books involving journeys up the Amazon or otherwise set in the rain forest - mostly thrillers though. I have a weakness for thrillers and adventurous espionage type reads. If anyone interested in approaching it from that POV, let me know. I'll dig up some of the better titles...."

Theresa, I would be really interested in hearing your suggestions of amazon rain forest books if you find any, I'm craving an adventure read right now.

message 49: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4996 comments Booknblues wrote: "Joi wrote: "Alright, I've done some research, and have narrowed down to a few options.

The Caregiver: As other have recommended, about an undocumented Brazilian immigrant. Bonus, h..."

I would like to add that while Park is Korean he was born in Brazil and The Caregiver does give a real sense of Brazil.

Yes, including Samba competitions, flamboyant neighbors, and it touches on some of the political unrest/corruption of the time.

message 50: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4996 comments Magdalena wrote: "I'm going to have to do some digging for this one, the only one I've read that would probably fit coming to mind right now is City of the Beasts, which I remember being good although th..."

I wonder if this has some of that. I really admire the author: The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon

State of wonder was discussed above.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.