Play Book Tag discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016-19 Activities & Challenges > Trim the TBR—May Planning and Reporting

Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments The random number for the Trim the TBR Challenge in May is...

Head to your list that you posted in your personal challenge tracking thread, find your 24th book, and get your hands on it! Reading cannot start until May 1, but this gives you a few days to get it physically in your possession.

Feel free to post here what your 24th book is if you want to see if anyone else is reading it, but this is absolutely not required!

Once May 1st hits, then you can post your reviews here when you complete your book. Reviews must be at least 4 sentences long. Other things to include if it fits:

• Fits the May tag of beautiful.
• Page length of the book.

Still working on your previous books? You can post your review here when you finish, but please label it clearly as your, e.g., #19-January book!

A note on page lengths:
To keep this fair, the official page count will be the hardcover edition OR, if there was no hardcover version, the format that the book was first published in. You can find these numbers on the book details page here on GR or you can also find them on Amazon.

This means your page length you are reporting only for this challenge may not EXACTLY match the edition you read, but it is the best way we can keep things even in the age where mass market paperback editions can have many more pages than other versions. This page length applies to audiobooks as well.

A reminder of the scoring:
• Read your book - 3 points
• Your completed book happens to fit the tag (must be tagged as such on GR) - 2 points (plus you'll get an additional 2 for posting your review in the Monthly Tag folder)
• Read the longest book among all people who completed their randomly assigned book in any given month - 5 points
• Read the most pages in any quarter (up to 3 books total and quarters are Jan-Mar, April-June, Jul-Sept, and Oct-Dec) - 25 points
• Read the most pages for the whole year (up to 12 books total) - 100 points
• Read the most books that fit a tag for the year - 25 points (totally random luck, but still fun!)

A note for people who start the challenge after January 1:

Whenever you join, if you want to participate in the current month, then Anita or I will randomize your list as described above, locking in the book for that month as well as the books for all previous months (exact number depending on when you join). Then, you can have the random number for the next month is announced to rearrange the order of the remaining books to align with any buddy reads or just going with your gut instincts!

Once the random number for the next month is announced, your list is locked and you cannot change it until our mid-year shake-up!

This seems like the best way for people to jump in at any point while still keeping things as fair as possible.

Reminder of numbers:
January: 19
February: 17
March: 34
April: 12
May: 24

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3029 comments The moment we've all been waiting for.
My #24 is Long Way Down... should be a pretty quick read.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Meli wrote: "The moment we've all been waiting for.
My #24 is Long Way Down... should be a pretty quick read."

This looks great, Meli! Also, I love that you are by far the person most excited for the Trim announcement each month! lol

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 670 comments Yikes! Looks like 2 chunksters for me in May! American Gods for the tag & Macbeth for trim. I'm quite pleased with trim though as I have wanted to read it for a while now!

message 5: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3029 comments Nicole R wrote: "Meli wrote: "The moment we've all been waiting for.
My #24 is Long Way Down... should be a pretty quick read."

This looks great, Meli! Also, I love that you are by far the person ..."

I didn't expect to enjoy it this much. I love it!

Jenny wrote: "Yikes! Looks like 2 chunksters for me in May! American Gods for the tag & Macbeth for trim. I'm quite pleased with trim though as I have wanted to read it for a whil..."

I loved Macbeth, really well-done adaptation! Reads pretty fast. I hope you enjoy it.

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6057 comments Yippee! My #24 is Amor Towles' Rules of Civility! And I am pretty confident it will fit the month's theme with beautiful prose (and it is a beautiful cover too).

It is also another book I already own, an author whose other book I read (A Gentleman in Moscow was a top read for me, and a book I've been anxious to read but since putting it as one of my Trim 36, had to hold off.

I'm as excited this month as Meli I think!

message 7: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 822 comments Mine is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, which might be tagged beautiful... I'll take a look

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7103 comments My # 24 is The Gray Man byMark Greaney, he is one of the writer's who took over Tom Clancy's books(which I use to love reading)-and I have had this book on my TBR shelf for a long time-I am interested to see if "you can go home again" when it comes to genre's-this type of book was my "go to" before I re-discovered fantasy-My goal was to get away from Fantasy a bit this year(not going so well-lol)-so I am glad this number popped up!

message 9: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 822 comments AJ wrote: "Mine is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, which might be tagged beautiful... I'll take a look"

YAY! It is! Tagged 4 times as beautiful.

message 10: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5300 comments I'd forgotten this was on the list. The Girl Who Smiled Beads: A Story of War and What Comes After. It sounds up my alley.

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6057 comments Theresa wrote: "Yippee! My #24 is Amor Towles' Rules of Civility! And I am pretty confident it will fit the month's theme with beautiful prose (and it is a beautiful cover too).

..."

Just found it was tagged by 4 people as 'beautiful' so definitely also fits theme!

I think someone else also had this in their Trim 36?

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5529 comments Well, DRATS .... and Double DRATS

My # 24 is Pachinko ... which I started reading for the Expanding Horizons: Korea month .... and finished in April (also fit the April tag: history)

S*I*G*H ... never even checked to see if it was on the TBR list.

Oh well .... gives me a month to catch up on other challenges.

message 13: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1903 comments My #24 is Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind - I'm unenthused but that's why I put some of these elderly old books on the Trim list. I am happy that it's fairly short and it does fit the Beautiful tag.

message 14: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 704 comments Looks like I'm finally going to read Jane Eyre (#24 for me)!

message 15: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 259 comments My #24 is Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty. Hopefully a nice break away from history and memoirs. Need some fiction in my life!

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue | 991 comments My #24 is The World According to Garp - a book that's been on my want to read list for a looooooong time.

message 17: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3029 comments AJ wrote: "AJ wrote: "Mine is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, which might be tagged beautiful... I'll take a look"

YAY! It is! Tagged 4 times as beautiful."

Score!

Book Concierge wrote: "Well, DRATS .... and Double DRATS

My # 24 is Pachinko ... which I started reading for the Expanding Horizons: Korea month .... and finished in April (also fit the April tag: histor..."

Oh no!! I have a spreadsheet now that includes trim and a separate tab for TBR not included on trim that I am pulling from.

message 18: by Theresa (last edited Apr 23, 2019 04:57PM) (new)

Theresa | 6057 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Well, DRATS .... and Double DRATS

My # 24 is Pachinko ... which I started reading for the Expanding Horizons: Korea month .... and finished in April (also fit the April tag: histor..."

I created a GR shelf for TrimTBR that has all 36 on it. When I move a book to 'currently reading' for a challenge, I make sure it's not on that shelf! Last month I nearly read 3 books from Trim!

message 19: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8012 comments Looks like I have a Dean Koontz as #24:
The Key to Midnight

message 20: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 674 comments I've got Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot. Didn't get a chance to wade through the lower end of the tags, but I don't think it counts. Is a good chance to read a book I own for Kindle! I tend to grab those on sale and then just hoard them.

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8146 comments For me its Nine Perfect Strangers.

message 23: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1283 comments My #24 is The Strain. Not tagged beautiful, but I think it will fit my reading mood well.

message 24: by Joy D (last edited Apr 23, 2019 11:35PM) (new)

Joy D | 3043 comments Mine is A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. From what I've heard of this book, it may fit the "beautiful" tag. 624 pages

message 25: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 670 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "My #24 is Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind - I'm unenthused but that's why I put some of these elderly old books on the Trim list. I am happy that it's ..."

I loved Perfume, but I may be biased as it's set in the period my MA is in.

message 26: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments AJ wrote: "Mine is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, which might be tagged beautiful... I'll take a look"

I have the same book! It looks like a lot of the Neil Gaiman books have a "beautiful" tag. I hope we find it beautiful too.

message 27: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2207 comments My #24 is The Gardener of Baghdad - I'm really looking forward to it.

Nobody has tagged it as beautiful (so it won't count for extra challenge points) but lots of reviews say it *is* beautiful so I hope it works for the monthly tag. And I can put it on my overall Horizons list.

message 28: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1431 comments My #24 is Black Coffee. It's not tagged beautiful but I have owned it for awhile so it will be good to finally read it.

message 29: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 674 comments NancyJ wrote: "I have the same book! It looks like a lot of the Neil Gaiman books have a "beautiful" tag. I hope..."

I do think Neil Gaiman's writing is beautiful. He can turn a phrase like no one's business, and his short fiction is brilliant. Neverwhere is kind of an odd little book, but I hope you two enjoy it!

message 30: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3029 comments Cora wrote: "My #24 is The Strain. Not tagged beautiful, but I think it will fit my reading mood well."

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this trilogy! There was a TV series too, but I only saw some of it.

Really neat twist on vampire mythology, very gross.
Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro are a perfect match for this story. Hogan most known for police procedurals, so his attention to detail coupled with Del Toro's imaginative storytelling meshes well.

message 31: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7103 comments Theresa wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Well, DRATS .... and Double DRATS

My # 24 is Pachinko ... which I started reading for the Expanding Horizons: Korea month .... and finished in April (also fi..."

I did the same Theresa-after a few weeks of grabbing a book that I should not have!

message 32: by Robin (new)

Robin A 24. Searching for Caleb- anne Tayler

message 33: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6057 comments Joy D wrote: "Mine is A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. From what I've heard of this book, it may fit the "beautiful" tag. 624 pages"

I read Such a Long Journey recently, and definitely count it as beautiful in its writing and imagery.

message 34: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6057 comments KateNZ wrote: "My #24 is The Gardener of Baghdad - I'm really looking forward to it.

Nobody has tagged it as beautiful (so it won't count for extra challenge points) but lots of reviews say it *..."

I definitely considered it beautiful when I read it as one of my Iraq Horizons books. it is also short.

message 35: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments Hebah wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "I have the same book! It looks like a lot of the Neil Gaiman books have a "beautiful" tag. I hope..."

I do think Neil Gaiman's writing is beautiful. He can turn a phrase like no one..."

Thanks Hebah, that's helpful.

message 36: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments My #24 is Remembering Blue by Connie May Fowler. I'll have to check to see if this is tagged "beautiful" but the cover is pretty nice!

message 37: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments My #24 is The Smoke-Scented Girl by Melissa McShane! I can't wait!

message 38: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3774 comments My 24 is the same as Kimber's, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. Super excited for this, I've read lots of good reviews- and always love a book about books!

message 39: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments My 24 isElizabeth I. I've wanted to read it for a while but I know it's going to take a lot out of me which is why put it on my trim list. I'm both exited and daunted.

message 40: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1903 comments Magdalena wrote: "My 24 isElizabeth I. I've wanted to read it for a while but I know it's going to take a lot out of me which is why put it on my trim list. I'm both exited and daunted."

You keep drawing huge books. This looks good so I'll keep an eye out for your review.

message 41: by SouthWestZippy (last edited Apr 25, 2019 07:09PM) (new)

SouthWestZippy | 835 comments May: #24 The Best Little Boy in the World Grows Up
Fits the April tag: beautiful--No---- BUMMER!

Not going to be a light read but it is my type of book.

message 42: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments Magdalena wrote: "My 24 isElizabeth I. I've wanted to read it for a while but I know it's going to take a lot out of me which is why put it on my trim list. I'm both exited and daunted."

It does look daunting, but good. One thing I didn't know about her was that she was an excellent leader. I learned from a student that she led her country through massive growth, and cleaned up many of the messes her father made during his reign.

message 43: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve got Disgrace, a book I’ve been meaning to read for so long. I’m excited!

message 44: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2207 comments Ooh Susie, I’ve been meaning to read Disgrace too - it’s been sulking on the shelf for ages. I may join you

message 45: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments That would be lovely!

message 46: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3029 comments This one? 😈
Disgrace by Brittainy C. Cherry

message 47: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Mine is The Go-Between by Hartley
It doesn't fit with beauty of brazil, but I've been wanting to read it for a while

message 48: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Susie wrote: "I’ve got Disgrace, a book I’ve been meaning to read for so long. I’m excited!"

I loved Disgrace. It's a harsh book but I thought it was amazing.

message 49: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Meli wrote: "This one? 😈
Disgrace by Brittainy C. Cherry"

Excellent selection!

message 50: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7103 comments Meli wrote: "This one? 😈
Disgrace by Brittainy C. Cherry"

😂-you beat to it Meli-I was just looking up Susie's book and found this one too....

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.