Play Book Tag discussion

Daisy Jones & The Six
This topic is about Daisy Jones & The Six
Archive: Other Books > Daisy Jones and the Six, by Taylor Jenkins Reid, 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 23, 2019 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments Daisy Jones & The Six is a fun book, with some unexpected depth. Daisy Jones joins an established rock group, and she changes the dynamics and style of the group. I really enjoyed reading about the song writing process, the group dynamics, the tours, the press, and other aspects of the business. The song writing process and lyrics were especially important in advancing the story.

The characters were all flawed in some way, which led to some interesting drama. The exception might be Camilla, who was practically perfect in every way. She's a good role model for how to deal with an alcoholic spouse.

I really loved the multiple narrator format of the book, in which the characters were responding to unheard questions from an interviewer. I know some people don’t like multiple narrators, but I love that it enables us to see the vastly different perceptions and memories that people had of the same situations. I think this (Rashomon Effect) is great for building empathy and our awareness that everyone sees the world in different ways. I usually find it trite when a story hinges on a big misunderstanding, which is why I tend to avoid most romance books. But the author used it very effectively (and subtly) when the two lead characters were writing a song together. I loved how she did that. (view spoiler)

The book was very satisfying overall, but something was bothering me about the ending, and I finally realized what it was. (view spoiler)

Given our history tag this month, I wish the author had incorporated more of the hot cultural and historical issues that occurred in the late 60’s and early 70’s (Vietnam, civil rights, Watergate, etc.). But it’s not fair to expect that from this book. Their song writing was much more personal than cultural. I also liked the Rolling Stone and Saturday Night Live inclusions.

Audio note – The audio performance of this book is fabulous, with multiple actors voicing different roles. I especially liked Jennifer Beals who voiced Daisy Jones. Her voice was deeper and more intelligent than I would have imagined for Daisy, and it gave me a different perception of her personality and growth. I suspect that I would have had a different impression of Daisy if I read only the print book (I would have seen her as more flighty and ditsy). I'll probably bump the star rating up to 5 because of the audio performance.

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1907 comments I finished the audio earlier this month. I think it was probably one of the best audio performances I've ever heard. I graduated from high school in 1972, so much of this took me back to my crushes on all the lead singers of rock bands.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "I finished the audio earlier this month. I think it was probably one of the best audio performances I've ever heard. I graduated from high school in 1972, so much of this took me back to my crushes..."

That's funny. I think my first crush was on Davy Jones in the Monkeys (around "68 maybe). So when I first saw the title of this book, I kept thinking of him.

Susie | 4488 comments Such a great audio performance, and I agree about Jennifer Beals creating a depth to Daisy that she may not have had on paper.