What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Wenny Has Wings
This topic is about Wenny Has Wings
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. JUV/Childrens, Boy's sister dies in car accident, cover is black & white. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lillie (last edited Apr 23, 2019 01:17PM) (new)

Lillie | 2 comments I remember reading this book in middle school (2009-2011) about a little boy and his sister who both get hit by a car. The sister dies but the boy survives, and refuses to believe that his sister is actually gone. The father is a photographer who specializes in black and white photography with specific colors keyed back in. At one point the boy searches the sewers under the city for his sister and gets attacked by a wild animal. The cover was a black and white photograph of the two children, with the sister's dress and a few flowers colored in.

(I think the sister's name was Wendy but don't quote me on that I might be way off.)

message 2: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1253 comments Maybe Wenny Has Wings by Janet Lee Carey?
Found searching online but it sounds like your book:
In the fight with the truck barreling toward them, Wenny and Will lost big. Wenny lost her life. Will lost a sister -- and lost faith in himself.
But then Will starts writing letters to Wenny. He tells her all about the secret of his near-death experience, and the troubles he's having at home. Some letters are funny. Some letters are harsh. And when read together, they tell the story of a boy who finds a way to move past death and learns how to live again.

(a reader mentions that: "his dad was taking the "old, messed up" photos and making them into master pieces")

message 3: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 2 comments YOU'RE AN ANGEL!! THAT'S IT!!
I've been looking for this book for almost a decade how did you DO that?!

message 4: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1253 comments Awesome! :-)
I googled: middle school reader "his sister" "by a car" and this book was the second result! Just luck and the use of "" when searching (very important because then it only searches for exact matches, word for word)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wenny Has Wings (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Janet Lee Carey (other topics)