Amnesty International BookClub discussion

The Right To Be Cold: One Woman's Story of Protecting Her Culture, the Arctic and the Whole Planet
This topic is about The Right To Be Cold
May/June book: The Right to Be Cold by Sheila Watt-Cloutier

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amnesty (last edited May 12, 2019 02:36PM) (new) - added it

Amnesty Bookclub | 223 comments Mod
Welcome back!

For this next selection we move towards non-fiction about the important topic of climate change by Sheila Watt-Cloutier.

Take a look at the discussion guide too for reflections and questions from guest reader, author Sarah Cox, as well as additional information about human rights and climate change. There is also an action you can take on page 8. Find it here:
http://www.amnestybookclub.ca/wp-cont...

Have you already read The Right to be Cold? What did you think?

Guest reader Sarah Cox asks us: Watt-Cloutier writes that “ice is life.” What does she mean by that?

message 2: by Naqib (new)

Naqib Sarwary (nsarwary) | 8 comments James Allen:

Question: What does the author mean by 'ice is life".

Answer: The Inuit depend on the ice socially, economically and culturally. Also because of their intense affinity for the icy conditions, they have learned how to live in harmony with nature, becoming good stewards, thus ensuring sustainability both in nature and for themselves.

message 3: by Naqib (new)

Naqib Sarwary (nsarwary) | 8 comments James Allen:

Question 2: In the discussion guide

Answer: When Watt-Cloutier was 10, she went to a residential school in the south along with her friend Lizzie. Her caretakers at the time were Joe and Peggy Ross. Under the Ross's care, their letters to their families were screened before mailed violating their privacy and making them fearful about speaking out especially to those whom it matters most - family. As a result, her freedom of expression was stifled. It took "a long, long time after that experience to feel comfortable" once again.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (httpwwwgoodreadscomdarela) | 7 comments I am enjoying this book very much. The author obviously devoted years of her adult life to speaking up... especially in the political arena ...overcoming that particular trauma rather well. She says in the book ...I am paraphrasing here...that challenges are given to us so that they can be overcome.
Christine Nightingale

message 5: by Naqib (new)

Naqib Sarwary (nsarwary) | 8 comments Christine wrote: "I am enjoying this book very much. The author obviously devoted years of her adult life to speaking up... especially in the political arena ...overcoming that particular trauma rather well. She say..."

Thank you very much Christine for sharing your thoughts! I would very much agree with the author on statement about the challenges. We face many troubles in life but we will overcome them. This reminds me of all courageous human rights defenders who, at this very moment, stand up in the face of injustice across the globe, having great hopes.