Read Scotland discussion

Group Reads > May/June Nominations

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (last edited Apr 23, 2019 12:32PM) (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 378 comments Mod
We're looking for our group read for May and June...

The theme is Murder Most Scottish - nominate those Caledonian whodunnits, murder mysteries and gritty Tartan Noir books. We're looking for fictional murders for this theme - though if there is enough interest we can do a true-crime theme in the future! (Just say so in the comments!)

Comment your nomination below, looking forward to seeing your murderous suggestions...

Notes: Please only one nomination per person for this theme. If you can, use the 'add book/author' button to link the book and author to avoid confusion. Nominations must have a Scottish link.

message 2: by Tarissa (new)

Tarissa (inthebookcase) | 38 comments The Cracked Spine (Scottish Bookshop Mystery, #1) by Paige Shelton

The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton

A cozy mystery published in 2016. It's book #1 of the Scottish Bookshop Mystery series. I've been meaning to read the series this year.

Oh, and YES -- sign me up for the True Crime theme too. :)

message 3: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 39 comments Struggling to think of anything outside of Doyle, Rankin, etc. So I'll go with Death of a Gossip by M.C. Beaton

Watched the series but never read any of the books - or anything by by M.C Beton, so now is as good a time as any to start:)

message 4: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 13 comments Tarissa wrote: "The Cracked Spine (Scottish Bookshop Mystery, #1) by Paige Shelton

A cozy mystery published in 2016. It's book #1 of the Scottish Bookshop Mystery series. I've been meaning to read the ser..."

Cracked Spine sounds like a fun read.

message 5: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 113 comments Tarissa wrote: "The Cracked Spine (Scottish Bookshop Mystery, #1) by Paige Shelton

A cozy mystery published in 2016. It's book #1 of the Scottish Bookshop Mystery series. I've been meaning to read the ser..."

I recently finished the 4th(?)/most recent one. I especially enjoyed that for a trip to a certain Loch....:)

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan Sorry, on my phone so don't have access to a link... Can I nominate, in gentle contrast to the 'cozy' titles so far, William McIlvanney's Laidlaw. The godfather of so-called Tartan Noir (he would scoff at such a description) this is the granddaddy of them all. Before the blah blah of Rankin, Macbride, McDermid, et al, there was WM, who wrote some powerful stuff.

message 7: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 39 comments Alan wrote: "Sorry, on my phone so don't have access to a link... Can I nominate, in gentle contrast to the 'cozy' titles so far, William McIlvanney's Laidlaw. The godfather of so-called Tartan Noir (he would s..."

Oh, good call. Completely forgot about Mcllvanney, pretty unforgivable since I've had a copy on my shelves for years waiting to be read.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan I'd like to nominate a great book The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home. He is an author from Edinburgh and from a famous family. It's a really unique book.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan By the way, this book looks interesting too, Laidlaw by William McIlvanney.

message 10: by Ellen (last edited May 02, 2019 04:58AM) (new)

I’ll let this run a bit longer, as I generally like to have at least 5 books in the poll :) Really great suggestions so far...

I’ll nominate the (not very Scottish sounding) The Polish Detective by Hania Allen It is set in Scotland, honest! Never read this author, which always makes me a bit nervous suggesting a book, but the Dundee location won me over, as I’ve never read a book set there.

So if we can have one more nomination this week, that’ll be super! (Or if we don’t get another, I’ll randomly pick a book from a Scottish Crime list at the weekend.)

message 11: by Ellen (new)

Susan wrote: "By the way, this book looks interesting too, Laidlaw by William McIlvanney."

Alan has also suggested this book, so technically both your picks count! :)

message 12: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 113 comments Not my category but....

His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet

message 13: by Ellen (last edited May 05, 2019 11:04AM) (new)

Kirk wrote: "Not my category but....

His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet"

Thanks Kirk - I LOVED this book :)

message 14: by Ellen (new)

Thanks to Kirk, we've now got 5 nominations, so I'll make a poll up tonight :)

message 15: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "Thanks to Kirk, we've now got 5 nominations, so I'll make a poll up tonight :)"

Just recounted and we have six nominations - one day my brain will kick in this year, I'm on a roll 😂

message 16: by Ellen (new)

Here’s the poll with all your suggestions:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/8...

Happy voting :)