Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Caribbean before 1800

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (last edited Apr 23, 2019 12:15PM) (new)

Shannon | 31 comments I recently read Island of a Thousand Springs and its sequel, Island of the Red Mangroves. I loved them both so much and find myself wanting to read more books set in the Caribbean. I’m already aware of Island Beneath the Sea, The Marriage of Opposites, and Caribbean, and I plan to read them soon. I read Pirate Latitudes when it first came out so I’d rather the book not be laser-focused on pirates. It would be great if there was some talk of the politics of the time, of being a colony, etc. I recently re-read The Winthrop Woman and there was talk of plantations on Barbados in the early 17th century, so I’m especially interested in novels set before 1800, anywhere in the Caribbean, no romance.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 8421 comments If you’re interested in Haiti, Madison Smartt Bell’s trilogy is amazing.

Book 1 is All Souls' Rising.
Book 2 is Master of the Crossroads
Book 3 is The Stone That the Builder Refused

Forewarned, the violence is unavoidable.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 31 comments Carol wrote: "If you’re interested in Haiti, Madison Smartt Bell’s trilogy is amazing.

Book 3 is [book:..."

Looks great! I already added the first one to my to-read list. Now to see if my library has a copy! Thanks so much!

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 8421 comments Shannon wrote: "Carol wrote: "If you’re interested in Haiti, Madison Smartt Bell’s trilogy is amazing.

Bo..."

Wonderful. Good luck!

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 598 comments Have you read Jean Rhys's novel sorta-kinda based on Mr. Rochester's first wife (as in Jane Eyre), Wide Sargasso Sea?

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 31 comments Abigail wrote: "Have you read Jean Rhys's novel sorta-kinda based on Mr. Rochester's first wife (as in Jane Eyre), Wide Sargasso Sea?"

I have not read this book, mostly because I have read SO SO many really bad reviews for it. It's a book I have considered a few times, but I imagine it is set a bit late for what I'm hoping to find. It's set in the nineteenth century, right?

If any exist, I would love books set in the sixteenth or seventeenth centuries, the early stuff. Though I might still give Wide Sargasso Sea a try, just to see if I agree with all the reviews.

message 7: by Carol (last edited Apr 24, 2019 11:09AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 8421 comments @Shannon, I remembered that Marlon James' The Book of Night Women covers your preferred time-frame as well. A Jamaican sugar plantation in the 18th century, It's been on my TBR for some time and I've heard nothing but raves from friends about it.

Also Sugar Money by Jane Harris. Here's the blurb from The History Girs blog (http://the-history-girls.blogspot.com...)

Martinique, 1765. The charismatic but damaged Lucien and his more cautious older brother Emile are tasked by their French master with returning to Fort Royal in Grenada to bring back the slaves stolen by the English. Emile knows this to be a reckless mission, but, as with most things in their lives, it is something in which they have no choice. What follows is part adventure, part tragedy, and entirely compelling.

Harris has created a setting we believe in and characters we desperately want to survive. There is nothing sweet about Sugar Money, nor should there be.

message 8: by Carol (last edited Apr 24, 2019 01:13PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 8421 comments Two more.

The True History of Paradise by Margaret Cezair-Thompson. It is contemporary Jamaica but with substantial flashbacks to ancestral voices. Here's a link to my friend Michelle's view that I think does a better job of describing the novel than does the GR blurb, so you can better judge whether you will like it.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Different option. It's 1902 and set on the fictional island of Saint Jacques, based on Martinique, but you may opt to consider The Violins of Saint-Jacques by Patrick Leigh Fermor.

In reality, the 1902 Mont Pelee volcano on the island of Martinique erupted, destroying the nearby village of Saint Pierre (pop. about 29,000). There were only a couple of survivors.

In this Fermor's only novel, (view spoiler)

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 31 comments Wow, Carol, these look great! I'm adding a bunch of them to my lists! Thanks so much to everyone so far!

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 8421 comments Shannon wrote: "Wow, Carol, these look great! I'm adding a bunch of them to my lists! Thanks so much to everyone so far!"

Glad to help! it's been a fun rabbit hole and reminded me of more books I want to read, too. lol