75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Book Buddies > Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Hi lovelies,
Carol and I will be buddy reading Jane Eyre and are thinking of a start date in early May. Who would like to join?
Juli

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments I'm in! Afterwards I am going to treat myself to a movie of Jane Eyre.

message 3: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2587 comments It took me a year to read Jane Eyre the first time [a friend told me I needed to read it before I could read The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde and she was RIGHT! That book made so much more sense knowing the story of Jane]. Since then, I have fallen in love with the movie with Michael Fassbender and MAN, I just love Jane Eyre now. I wish I had time to add this to my list - there are several really good narrations out there that I would love to listen to. Enjoy your buddy read!!!

message 4: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7444 comments Mod
Aww have fun! It's one of my favorites! But I cannot fit it in at all this year. lol.

message 5: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Dawn Michelle wrote: "It took me a year to read Jane Eyre the first time [a friend told me I needed to read it before I could read The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde and she was RIGHT! That book made so much more sense kn..."

I will check out that movie!

message 6: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "I'm in! Afterwards I am going to treat myself to a movie of Jane Eyre."

When do you want to start? I have my paperback copy ready.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli wrote: "Carol wrote: "I'm in! Afterwards I am going to treat myself to a movie of Jane Eyre."

When do you want to start? I have my paperback copy ready."

I can start tonight, but I can tell it is going to take a lo-o-o-ong time.

message 8: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Juli wrote: "Carol wrote: "I'm in! Afterwards I am going to treat myself to a movie of Jane Eyre."

When do you want to start? I have my paperback copy ready."

I can start tonight, but I can tell ..."

I have one more ARC to review and then I will start. My guess is no later than this weekend. I too think this will be a slow read for me but that's fine. I don't mind it. :)

message 9: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
@Carol, I'm starting this tomorrow.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli wrote: "@Carol, I'm starting this tomorrow."

OK, I am going really slo-o-ow, so you will probably pass me in no time.

message 11: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Juli wrote: "@Carol, I'm starting this tomorrow."

OK, I am going really slo-o-ow, so you will probably pass me in no time."

I might. I am soooooo loving this book so far. The introduction (by Diane Johnson) to the book made me super pumped to read it, lol, and I just flew through the first 70 pages. The Brontë sisters are just damn geniuses!

message 12: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
@Carol, how is your progress going?

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli,

Just saw this. I am loving the book, but the reading is slow going, but I am not trying to read it fast as it is so beautifully written. I am at the part where she unknowingly met Mr. Rochester.

How about you?

Carol

message 14: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol, I just saw your rating. What happened?

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli wrote: "Carol, I just saw your rating. What happened?"

I don't know where that came from! I wonder if I got hacked... I haven't finished reading it. Only about 90 pages in, but I am still loving it.

I could have accidentally closed it, but don't know where that 2 star rating came from. Sometimes I accidentally hit stuff with my phone...

How are you doing with Jane? Where are you?

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli wrote: "Carol, I just saw your rating. What happened?"

Wow, I already got a response from Goodreads support! They said there was no evidence of hacking and that it came from one of the usual devices. SO, I guess I accidentally did that. Me and my sausage like fingers...

Thanks for the heads up!

message 17: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
I think I'm about halfway and I'm loving it!

message 18: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Juli wrote: "Carol, I just saw your rating. What happened?"

Wow, I already got a response from Goodreads support! They said there was no evidence of hacking and that it came from one of the usual ..."

Carol, it has definitely happened to me that I accidentally marked something as read, but it is odd that yours also showed a rating. I am glad you got it figured out though and that you seem to be liking the book. I was sad for a moment when I saw that you "had felt it was only a 2 star book". :)

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli wrote: "Carol wrote: "Juli wrote: "Carol, I just saw your rating. What happened?"

Wow, I already got a response from Goodreads support! They said there was no evidence of hacking and that it came from one..."

Yes, that was very weird. Am thinking this is a 5 star... but I have a lot further to go.

Sometimes I stay up too late so I could have accidentally, in my sleep closed it... Weird.

message 20: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
I think that has happened to me! I definitely have fallen asleep with my Kindle, lol. I am also thinking this will be a 5 star read for me.

message 21: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol, how is it going? I have been slacking with my read, not because I don't like it (in fact I love it) but because I am lazy and have only been carrying my kindle around. I just so happen to have this one as paperback. I am now wondering if I will finish it this month :/

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Me too. I put too much on my plate and have to put off Jane Eyre for a little bit. I have an old copy of the book so I have to be careful with it when I read. I do love it too and could probably find an audio version, but I want to read the print word. I am savoring it, too. Will probably be able to seriously pick it back up next week. How about we agree to take our time and savor this one?

message 23: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 28, 2019 03:18PM) (new)

It's a free classic on Kindle. ;) I have numerous versions of Jane Eyre! lol
https://www.amazon.com/Jane-Eyre-Amaz...

message 24: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Me too. I put too much on my plate and have to put off Jane Eyre for a little bit. I have an old copy of the book so I have to be careful with it when I read. I do love it too and could probably fi..."

Love it! Let's do that!

message 25: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "It's a free classic on Kindle. ;) I have numerous versions of Jane Eyre! lol
https://www.amazon.com/Jane-Eyre-Amaz......"

I should've mentioned I do have it on my kindle but was too lazy to figure out where I am in the print book to find my place in the kindle book :P ... Also, the one time I opened the kindle version, Goodreads changed my edition to that version and that made me annoyed for some reason, so I decided not to open the kindle book again.

message 26: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Juli wrote: "I should've mentioned I do have it on my kindle but was too lazy to figure out where I am in the print book to find my place in the kindle book :P ... Also, the one time I opened the kindle version, Goodreads changed my edition to that version and that made me annoyed for some reason, so I decided not to open the kindle book again..."

I've disabled Goodreads on my Kindle and Kindle apps. It's such a nuisance!

message 27: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Elyse, I really need to do that.

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Elyse wrote: "It's a free classic on Kindle. ;) I have numerous versions of Jane Eyre! lol

Elyse, I don't have a Kindle! One of these days I am going to have to come over to the dark side and get one. I already read too much...

message 29: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 29, 2019 07:18AM) (new)

Carol wrote: "Elyse, I don't have a Kindle! One of these days I am going to have to come over to the dark side and get one. I already read too much..."

😲😲 I would be lost if I couldn't read on the go! I know I can bring a paperback with me but that's too bulky. I don't need more items in my bag. lol. I've started reading on my actual Kindle again recently but my go-to is the Kindle app on my phone. I couldn't live without it! lol

message 30: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Elyse wrote: "It's a free classic on Kindle. ;) I have numerous versions of Jane Eyre! lol

Honestly, Carol. I have an older Amazon Fire sitting around. I can wipe it clean and send it to you. Works just like a Kindle with a few extra tablet-like features.

message 31: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "Carol wrote: "Elyse, I don't have a Kindle! One of these days I am going to have to come over to the dark side and get one. I already read too much..."

😲😲 I would be lost if I couldn't read on the..."

I love that the Kindle app syncs across devices. I use it on my phone, my Amazon Fire, and my work tablet when I travel.

message 32: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol, I am just checking in. I think I will pick Jane Eyre back up today or tomorrow. Did you finish it?

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli wrote: "Carol, I am just checking in. I think I will pick Jane Eyre back up today or tomorrow. Did you finish it?"

Sorry so long getting back to you. I have picked up speed and am 2/3 through! Wooo Hooo! I am loving it. Hoping on finishing it in a week.

I kinda watched the movie (Orson Welles version from 1944) (in parallel), but ended up finishing it. It was kinda close to the book, but I did yell, "That didn't happen!" at the TV a couple of times.

message 34: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli wrote: "Carol, I am just checking in. I think I will pick Jane Eyre back up today or tomorrow. Did you finish it?"

Juli, have you finished yet? I am done! Such a good book! So much happened to poor Jane Eyre over her lifetime. I don't know if I have the energy to read another classic of that class, but I will.

I watched the movie from the 40s with Orson Welles. It was good. I think I will look for one of the movies that were made more recently.

message 35: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
Carol, I finally finished the book a few days ago. I loved it so much!!!!

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli wrote: "Carol, I finally finished the book a few days ago. I loved it so much!!!!"

I loved it too. It took me a long time, but I am glad I did it.

message 37: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli... I just found this on goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

What do you think?

message 38: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
@Carol, I would do this!!!!!

message 39: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
... and with do I mean read. obvi.

message 40: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli, I tentatively planned to read it sometime next year. Do you want to think about reading this in January? Or is that too much planning?

message 41: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1801 comments Mod
No, not too much! Let's plan on January :)

message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2613 comments Juli wrote: "No, not too much! Let's plan on January :)"

OK, I will touch base after the first of the year.

message 43: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I may join in. It's only $2.99 on Kindle.