Play Book Tag discussion

The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)
This topic is about The Likeness
Archive: Other Books > [Trim} The Likeness by Tana French - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Theresa | 6335 comments This is the second in French's Dublin Murder Squad series, and it is excellent! Once again, French expertly crafts an intricate murder mystery around the psychological profile of one of the detectives on the case.

This time it is Cassie Maxwell at the center, whom we met initially as the detective protagonist's partner in In the Woods. Cassie has transferred out of Dublin's Murder Squad into Domestic Violence as part of the fall-out from the prior case. However, she gets pulled into the murder of Lexie, found dead from a stab wound in a decaying croft on the outskirts of a dying village outside Dublin. Why? Because not only is the victim using an identity that Cassie herself had invented and used when undercover at the beginning of her career, but she is her spitting image, her doppelganger.

As a result of the joining of forces of the Murder Squad with the undercover squad, Cassie finds herself reclaiming the identity of Lexie in order to find a lead for the murder investigation. Or so it seems. As with all French's novels, it's not quite so simple. I always find that while of course critical, intricate and absorbing, the murder plots are not the core of these novels. It is the psychological journey of the detective that is the heart and soul, and it is this journey that often provides the most surprises.

The Likeness does not disappoint. We are there every step of the way through Cassie's journey. French's writing is once again wonderful. There is something very 'Irish' to her writing and stories. This one brought hints of the legendary Celtic Sight, the Irish tech boom, and just how women coped with abortion being illegal; all in a very matter-of-fact way, very naturally and not a focal point, just things that make this clearly set in Ireland at the beginning of the 21st Century. I also found it creepy as hell at times - and actually snickered when I read this:

A certain amount of creepy was not only beside the point but also pretty much par for the course on a murder investigation;...

I've added the next in the series to my TBR too!

message 2: by Meli (new) - added it

Meli (melihooker) | 3154 comments The first French I've picked up is The Witch Elm which is on my trim list.
If I like that I plan to get into the Murder Squad series as well.

KateNZ | 2214 comments I so enjoyed the first book in the series (for precisely the psychological reasons you mention) - I don’t know why I’ve neglected to pick this one up to date. Must fix that now I know it’s just as good!

Theresa | 6335 comments KateNZ wrote: "I so enjoyed the first book in the series (for precisely the psychological reasons you mention) - I don’t know why I’ve neglected to pick this one up to date. Must fix that now I know it’s just as ..."

I actually stuck a bunch of these 'next in series' books amongst my 36 TrimTBR list just for that reason - I never seemed to get to them even though I loved the first in the series!

KateNZ | 2214 comments Good tactic, Theresa!