Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist's works!) > nothing but flowers (Cy Twombly)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 336 comments Looks Pollock-y

message 3: by Dirk, Moderator (last edited Apr 23, 2019 12:14PM) (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments It's not Pollock, right nationality, but this artist lived and worked much longer than Pollock

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 336 comments J. Johns?

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 336 comments De Kooning?

message 6: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments Sorry, both wrong...
I've a feeling that this could be a difficult one...
Maybe with the next pic...

message 7: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 336 comments I like the painting but have no clue. Who was that gal married to Pollock. Lee something?

message 9: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments Lee Krasner, but it's a man we're looking for.
Some facts: born early last century, died this century, in his eighties.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 336 comments Rauschenberg?

message 11: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Franz Kline used a lot of black in his even more abstract expressionist paintings.

message 12: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments That"s a pretty good guess, the dates almost match, bit alas not Rauschenberg.

message 13: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments Sorry Geoffrey, it's not Kline.

I wonder if this will help?
At least it gives an impression of the size of his canvasses ;-)

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 336 comments I was thinking Franz Kline too. No clue who that guy is.

message 15: by Ruth (last edited Apr 24, 2019 01:42PM) (new)

Ruth | 1905 comments Cy Twombley

message 16: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8385 comments Bisquait?

message 17: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments Once more credits to Ruth! it is indeed Cy Twombly, congrats Ruth!

Edwin Parker "Cy" Twombly Jr. (April 25, 1928 – July 5, 2011) was an American painter, sculptor and photographer. He belonged to the generation of Robert Rauschenberg and Jasper Johns.

Maybe less know because he went to live in Italy where he met and married Tatiana Franchetti in 1959, They had a son, Cyrus Alessandro Twombly (born 1959), who is also a painter and lives in Rome.
In 1964, Twombly met Nicola Del Roscio of Gaeta, who became his longtime companion. Twombly bought a house and rented a studio in Gaeta in the early 1990s. Twombly and Tatiana, who died in 2010, never divorced and remained friends.
In 2011, Twombly, suffering from cancer for several years, died in Rome after a brief hospitalization.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cy_Twombly

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 336 comments I take it back ... I have heard of him.

message 19: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments I must humbly admit I hadn't a couple of months ago, before I went searching for the PIC of the Day thread ;-)

But I like his work.

message 20: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1905 comments I must admit that 20th century modernism is my cup of tea. But it took me awhile with this.

message 21: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments Ruth wrote: "I must admit that 20th century modernism is my cup of tea. But it took me awhile with this."

Is that because he lived in Italy most of his life?

message 22: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments I never liked his work, that which I had seen of his, but do find the first two posted interesting.Otherwise, I peg him a step above Barnett Newman. I have found so much of his work has left me with the feeling, oh ho hum, done gone boring again.....that I am very pleasantly surprised when I see better work of his. Otherwise, I put him in the trash heap of early AE.

message 23: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments Well I must say I only posted pics I liked, there is indeed work of his that is not really worth the effort so to speak.
But I have a couple more:

No idea about the size of this, but I guess it is also more that 2 meters high ;-)

message 24: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2837 comments

message 25: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1905 comments Dirk wrote: "Ruth wrote: "I must admit that 20th century modernism is my cup of tea. But it took me awhile with this."

Is that because he lived in Italy most of his life?"

I didn’t even know he did.

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 336 comments Dirk wrote: "Well I must say I only posted pics I liked, there is indeed work of his that is not really worth the effort so to speak.
But I have a couple more:

No idea about the size of this, but I guess it ..."

Very nice! thanks

message 27: by Annette (new)

Annette | 1 comments Color, more than subject ir theme here.

message 28: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8385 comments Hi Annette! Are you new or are we just getting the pleasure of hearing from you? Thank you for your comment!