Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Daisy Jones & The Six
This topic is about Daisy Jones & The Six
Archives > Daisy Jones & The Six, by Taylor Reid Jenkins

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel (wildhoney) | 68 comments Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I read this for #22, a book with a number in the title or on the cover. Loved it! 5 stars. It's filled with music references and is sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll fun.

Goodreads summary:
Everyone knows Daisy Jones & The Six, but nobody knows the reason behind their split at the absolute height of their popularity . . . until now.

Daisy is a girl coming of age in L.A. in the late sixties, sneaking into clubs on the Sunset Strip, sleeping with rock stars, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go Go. The sex and drugs are thrilling, but it’s the rock and roll she loves most. By the time she’s twenty, her voice is getting noticed, and she has the kind of heedless beauty that makes people do crazy things.

Also getting noticed is The Six, a band led by the brooding Billy Dunne. On the eve of their first tour, his girlfriend Camila finds out she’s pregnant, and with the pressure of impending fatherhood and fame, Billy goes a little wild on the road.

Daisy and Billy cross paths when a producer realizes that the key to supercharged success is to put the two together. What happens next will become the stuff of legend.

The making of that legend is chronicled in this riveting and unforgettable novel, written as an oral history of one of the biggest bands of the seventies. Taylor Jenkins Reid is a talented writer who takes her work to a new level with Daisy Jones & The Six, brilliantly capturing a place and time in an utterly distinctive voice.

Michelle (maezyreads) | 64 comments Loved this book so much. Was raving about it for a while after I was done.

Hannah | 375 comments I read this for prompt 22, a book with a number in the title.

I really loved this book and how it got across the spirit of the time and place to the reader. What stopped it from being a 5 star read for me, though, was the ending. Throughout the book there had been lots of energy and it was fast-paced, but I felt the ending didn’t live up to the rest of the book, and so the story just came to a stop and there was a disconnect between the characters and the path each had taken.

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I read this earlier this year, and was surprised to find I really enjoyed it. I don't really care about books about celebrities or about rock music in general, but this was so interesting! I kind of felt the same about Evelyn Hugo last year though -- I went into it not expecting much, and it ended up being a favourite. While I didn't like this one quite as much, it was still easily a 5 star read for me.

Rachelnyc | 943 comments I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this as well. It was getting so much hype so I was worried it wouldn’t live up to expectations but I really enjoyed it.

I used to love watching the show Behind the Music back in the day and this felt like a literary version of that.

Milena (milenas) | 598 comments Agree with both Rachels. I really, really liked Daisy Jones & the Six, yet I stopped just short of absolutely loving it. I am not sure why. I did like The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo even more. I found the interview style in both really engaging.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Daisy Jones & The Six (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Taylor Jenkins Reid (other topics)