The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Gemini Man

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8165 comments Trailer for the new Ang Lee sci-fi action film starring Will Smith.

https://youtu.be/Budwd_uAnsk

Reminiscent of the Schwarzenegger film The 6th Day, or that scene from Terminator: Genisys where old Arnold confronts young Arnold, or that scene from Logan where old Hugh Jackman battles young Hugh Jackman, or in Moon where Sam Rockwell encounters Sam Rockwell, or in Dark Angel where Jessica Alba fought Jessica Alba, or in The Island where Ewan McGregor beats up Ewan McGregor, or....

message 2: by Mer (new)

Mer | 170 comments What do you think about the trend in computer imaging actors as younger versions of themselves, as with Gemini Man? Did anyone else feel a bit weird watching a reanimated Peter Cushing in one of the recent Star Wars movies?

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3861 comments Cushing was so close to the uncanny valley it weirded me out. Leia was fine though, a little glowy but I could deal.

I didn't have a problem with Young Coulson or Young Nick Fury in Captain Marvel. It really bothered other people.

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8165 comments Mer wrote: "What do you think about the trend in computer imaging actors as younger versions of themselves, as with Gemini Man? Did anyone else feel a bit weird watching a reanimated Peter Cushing in one of th..."

I think we’re about 6 months away from not being able to tell reality from fiction. Right now it’s 95% art, 5% technology, but soon we’ll be able to make simulacrums say and do anything, and everyone will be able to do it with a Photoshop plug-in on a phone.

I’m cool with it being used in movies. I remember when Demi Moore had herself laser scanned 25 years ago since she figured she’d never look better; she was really planning ahead. It’s when they use it for the news that it will cause problems. Like “start a war” type of problems.

I can’t really judge how effective it was in Captain Marvel as my cataracts have gotten so bad I can’t distinguish faces too well. I just went to see the movie again tonight with a bunch of my neighbors who wanted to see it before Endgame came out (I have the best neighbors ever). I couldn’t see any of the dark scenes out of my right eye at all. Last week at the ophthalmologist the laser camera couldn’t penetrate the cataract to take a photo of my eye.

But that shot in Captain America: Civil War where they aged up Haley Atwell from 30 to 90 was amazing, and in Guardians 2 where they de-aged Kurt Russell it looked terrific. It was less effective in the first Ant-Man, but it was the same company doing the same effect less than a year apart.

message 5: by Wilmar (new)

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 241 comments They should have called this movie. Looper . . . 2

message 6: by Mer (new)

Mer | 170 comments Trike wrote: " and in Guardians 2 where they de-aged Kurt Russell it looked terrific. ..."
Now that you mention it, I think this was the best I've seen. I agree on the advancing technology, they're close. I sure hope someone thinks ahead to put restrictions on news being allowed to show augmented images. As Joe Friday in Dragnet said "Just the facts, Mam, just the facts."

Good luck on the eyes! And you DO have great neighbors. I'm hoping to find kindred spirits in my new town.

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6715 comments Mod
I thought Coulson looked off, but Fury looked great. Someone said they didn't deage him, they just gave him a wig. He didn't have nearly the amount of screen time Fury did, so I could buy that.

Prior to Fury every instance of de-aging I've seen has looked bad. Or at least off enough to distract me while watching. I thought Young Tony Stark was especially bad in whichever one of the 30 marvel movies they did that in. Iron Man 3? I thought both Princess Leia and Moff Tarkin both were jarring. The stuff in Ant Man 2 was better, but still bothered me.

In Captain Marvel, Fury threw me at the start but then I settled in and didnt think about it for the rest of the movie.

From the trailers for this, its almost as though they took shots of him from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. It seems pretty well done, but I'm still not a fan of it yet.

I agree though the tech is getting closer where it will be less of a think. I know Michael Douglas has been pushing for an Antman prequel where the entire thing is a younger version of himself.

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 286 comments Trike wrote: "But that shot in Captain America: Civil War where they aged up Haley Atwell from 30 to 90 was amazing, and in Guardians 2 where they de-aged Kurt Russell it looked terrific. It was less effective in the first Ant-Man, but it was the same company doing the same effect less than a year apart."

Makes me hope Terminator Dark Fate uses it well. Since they apparently want at least part of it set in 1991.

message 9: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3861 comments Aging is a lot easier than de-aging. Star Trek did a credible old version of Kirk / Spock / McCoy in the 1960s with just makeup.

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 286 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Aging is a lot easier than de-aging. Star Trek did a credible old version of Kirk / Spock / McCoy in the 1960s with just makeup."

Very true. I remember Eddie Murphy claiming he "looked like his Uncle" when he did "Life."