Schlafly Global Book Discussion Group discussion

The Queue

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hope everyone is making progress on this month's book. Looking forward to seeing you all on Thursday!

message 2: by Zachary (new)

Zachary (z_reader) | 32 comments I'm sad I have to miss out. I'll be in L.A. visiting my nephews, but I hope you all enjoy the discussion!

message 3: by Vera (new)

Vera Emmons | 25 comments I will not be able to attend, either. I read the book and it really kept my attention in a creepy way.

message 4: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela Eaglesome | 40 comments I had “fun” with this one, because I read parts of it in a doctor’s office while AG Barr was releasing the Mueller report and another part in the Colombian Consulate getting a visa (where a bureaucratic snafu almost made them turn us away, after driving to Chicago). At first, I was turned off with the similarities to Kafka, but there is something about the characters that makes me want to carry on. I hope to make it, Travis.

message 5: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments I'll be there. I'm finding this bk harder to read than Kafka or Camus or literature of the Absurd, because of the story's basis in the painfully recent events of the Arab Spring and its crushing defeat in Egypt.

message 6: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela Eaglesome | 40 comments Good point, Lucy. Good place to start the discussion.

message 7: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 54 comments Hi Everyone. I’m afraid I will make the discussion group a little smaller this evening by staying home tonight. Travis, I regret I did not contact you in a more timely manner to let you know Woulfner Library did not have the book. I will be better about that in the future. Nevertheless, I turned to bookrags for a summery of The Que. Is this a fictional book?
I must say it gives me a creepy feeling that we might come to something like this some day. I can only imagine the despair Um Mabrouk must have felt doing all she can to get medication for her children after one dies. As a visually impaired woman, I find it interesting that darkness was used as a form of torture when Amani was arrested. I wonder if she would have gone blind upon seeing light after so long. I remember reading this happened to children that had been locked in darkness for a long length of time. Without reading the book, It’s ending is a puzzle for me. What was the sentence Tarek wrote in Yehya’s file? The synopsis I read really gave this book a feeling of tension and suspense. I will miss you tonight, and look forward to seeing you next month.