Play Book Tag discussion

Pompeii
This topic is about Pompeii
April 2019: History > Pompeii by Robert Harris- 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mindy aka serenity | 120 comments This book details the eruption of Vesuvius over the city of Pompeii in Ancient Roman civilization, told through the point of view of the engineer of the local aqueduct. I enjoyed the description of the aqueduct's makeup as well as the snippets from a book on volcanoes at the beginning of every chapter. The rest of the book, however, was just meh. I couldn't really get interested in the lives of the characters because there wasn't too much development there. They just felt a bit hollow. The story dragged along the two days before the eruption and then spat out the action rather quickly, not even leaving the reader with a satisfying ending. This book was highly rated by others, but it did not thrill me.

message 2: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5567 comments Thanks for the warning. I have one of his other books on my long list, but I think I might just let is fall off the list now. My husband loves volcanoes (and disaster stories in general) so it might be I might consider it for him. He doesn't care about character development as much.