Monday Morning Leadership: 8 Mentoring Sessions You Can't Afford to Miss Monday Morning Leadership question

Chapters 5 & 6
Robyn House Robyn House Apr 23, 2019 05:14AM
It sounds like we've all been in management land! It is so important that we stay in touch with our team members and we are all striving to live by "Do the Right Thing" rule.

Your next assignment is to read Chapters 5 & 6. Please respond to this post by May 6, 2019.

Q. 5. Hire Tough. The most important thing you do as a leader is to hire the right people. What are your thoughts on "The Three Rules of Three in Hiring?"

Q. 6. Do Less or Work Faster. One of the major sources of stress, anxiety, and unhappiness comes from feeling like out of control. A manager needs to figure out ways to take control of his time so that he can take control of his life. Your time is your responsibility.....what are some things that you have put into practice so you can take control of your life?

By following the "Three rules of Three in Hiring", you are taking the extra time to find just the right candidate. When we are short staffed and often eager to fill a position, it is easier to just get someone fill the gap. Ultimately, it is much more timely to train someone who is not the right fit than it is to take the time in the hiring process to get a team member who will be able to fulfill the needs of the position.

I learned something important during a recent Franklin Covey 7 Habits class. When asked what one of our pain points was, I said that I often find that I just don't have enough time to get everything done. I consider myself a manager who has an open door policy and I rarely shut my door at work. Because of this, throughout my day people stop in to ask a question or pause to speak because my door is open. From this class I learned that in order for me to be effective, I need time to plan. I have started to take 30 minutes a day to just close the door. During this time I will work my emails, plan for a staff meeting or just finish something that has been held up from being completed. It is a small thing but has made a big difference.

Q. 5. I think the "Three rules of of Hiring" is very important. We need to be able to take the time to find the right candidate for the position. Even though we may be short staffed for a while, it is important to make sure we get the right person. The staff are always updated on progress and very willing to take on a little extra to achieve this. I also include them as much as possible to make them feel a part of the team.
Q. 6. I try to stay very organized and always like to be prepared well in advance. I start each day prioritizing my work . I have also been much better at delegating work. I would hold onto things that our supervisors can handle and I think they appreciate the opportunity to be more empowered and involved in overall operation of the practice.