Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Guns of the Dawn
This topic is about Guns of the Dawn
Book Clubs! > MMM Book Club

Comments Showing 1-50 of 939 (939 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments The MMM Book Club - Or Magic, Mayhem and Merriment Book Club to be exact (now get your mind out of the gutter cause I didn't mean anything other than that! :D)
is a place where Daniel and I will discuss at length whichever books we happen to be reading. And they are many, as it happens.

This is our little attempt to bring the Magic of books into our daily lives, with a touch of Mayhem on the side - because we usually read whatever strikes our fancy, no orderly fashion and no plans - and with a lot of Merriment to go with, because we cuss and make bad jokes, we sigh and moon and laugh like crazy.
And oh! I almost forgot - we don't binge series, but binge BRs and jump through the genres like toads in a pond.

So if you like all the above, do jump on our bandwagon! The more the merrier, as the saying goes! :) All are welcome here with us!
But please remember you'll need to share some magic, mayhem and merriment with us!

message 2: by Laura (last edited Apr 22, 2019 11:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Our first BR starting today: Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) by Anne McCaffrey Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey

message 3: by Graeme (new) - added it

Graeme Rodaughan | 2041 comments Cooool!.... I love it.

message 4: by Graeme (new) - added it

Graeme Rodaughan | 2041 comments AMcC is one of my favs.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Graeme wrote: "Cooool!.... I love it."

Great! :))

message 6: by Laura (last edited Apr 22, 2019 11:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Graeme wrote: "AMcC is one of my favs."

One of mine too!! :)

message 7: by Graeme (new) - added it

Graeme Rodaughan | 2041 comments I grew up on her dragon riders.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I have never read any of her books 😳

message 9: by Graeme (new) - added it

Graeme Rodaughan | 2041 comments Oooh! She's good.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I will try someday 😊

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Yes I read most of her stuff in the 80's. Will be nice to revisit Menolly and her flying fair of dragon lizards!!! lol let the merriment and magic begin!

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Some general impressions (from memory)
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Tammie (new) - added it

Tammie | 3894 comments What a great idea! And I loved the get your minds out of the gutter comment. 😂

message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Tammie wrote: "What a great idea! And I loved the get your minds out of the gutter comment. 😂"
This is a place to be all about the magic of reading...it is okay to have your mind in the gutter, just not ALL of the time 🙏

message 15: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Oooh I might hop onto this BR if a) I can find my copy and b) can find the time! XD

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Tammie wrote: "What a great idea! And I loved the get your minds out of the gutter comment. 😂"

People could have drawn the wrong conclusion. :D

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I will try these some day! Sigh, some of my favorite people are right here on this thread thus far and hate to miss out, but alas....

Daniel, I miss the 80’s!!!! I’m old and I got older on Friday 😫.

Wait, who’s mind is in the gutter?! Wait, don’t answe that 😂🤣

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Siobhan wrote: "Oooh I might hop onto this BR if a) I can find my copy and b) can find the time! XD"

Fingers crossed you find the copy lovely. It's a very light and easy read.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Daniel wrote: "Some general impressions (from memory)
[spoilers removed]"

Can I open this one D or should I wait until I finish the book?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I will try someday 😊"

She's really good lovely! Her books are awesome!

message 21: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments You can open it. It is mostly some generic emotional dross from thirty year old memories...no real spoilers

message 22: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments This is soooooo much easier than Malazan...lmao.

message 23: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Laura wrote: "Tammie wrote: "What a great idea! And I loved the get your minds out of the gutter comment. 😂"

People could have drawn the wrong conclusion. :D"

Draw the right or wrong conclusion it is all good here....discuss, discuss, argue, debate, most importantly have an opinion!! 🤗

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I just finished Chapter 2 and remembered how much the attitude towards women on Pern pissed me off!

Melony is not supposed to (view spoiler)
That just made my blood boil! The... (*sputtering and trying to cool down...*)

message 25: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Now, now Mama Bird.....shhhhh. What really sucks and makes my blood boil is (view spoiler)

message 26: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments I never virtually shushed someone before, it is kind of fun 😂🤣😂

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Laura wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I will try someday 😊"

She's really good lovely! Her books are awesome!"

I trust you 😊😘

message 28: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Laura wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I will try someday 😊"

I trust you 😊😘"

Be careful with that trust, Lil Miss Laura has had me reading all sorts of stuff!! But in this case your trust is warranted! McCaffrey is a very talented writer. Great enjoyment to be had by all.

message 29: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Through chapter four. It makes my blood boil (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments And now you jad to go and remind me that we do have stuff like that even in real life!! I'm gonna go grab some chocolate to cool down!

And I agree. That's what makes AMcC such a great writer. Her characters are real. Just as real as the situations they are set into (apart from the dragons that is, and the thread, and the firelizards, and the.. you get what I mean!)

If I think about all that injustice... it's enough to make one scream!

I'm still at the end of chapter 2 and will read some more after the kids are asleep. But I'll log out now and see you in the morning. Well, my morning and your evening. :)
I'll finish this little book by tomorrow. It's too good to put down.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Also, when doe this all happen? It's been a long time since I read the first trilogy.
It's 7 turns from the time the old-timers came forward so that should place Melody's story sometime between book 2 and 3 of the trilogy right? I seem to remember her (view spoiler) Or was it in another book?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments @Mel - I made Daniel here read paranormal romance and even CHICK LIT! 😅😁
And now I'm trying to convince him to try some Jaqueline Carey. 😊

But he loved the stuff he read with me till now (well most of it that is:)) so fingers crossed! 😉😎

message 33: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Sure I will leave some general notes under spoiler tags. I guess I never really considered how the best authors weave reality into the most fantastic of tales. Perhaps that is what separates the masters from the journeymen?? Hmm, unknown but I have never really thought about what makes one story truly great versus good, okay, indifferent, pile of puke,,,etc etc.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I never really thought about that either.
Yep still here. But going now. :)

message 35: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Laura wrote: "@Mel - I made Daniel here read paranormal romance and even CHICK LIT! 😅😁

But he loved the stuff he read with me till now (well mos..."

Hey I already bought the bloody Jacqueline Carey stuff...so we gonna read it Missie!! 🤬

Lol. I have found as I have read more genres, I have begun to see how the actual craft of writing can be differentiated between sophomoric nonsense and true mastery. The best books make us think and feel a wide range of emotions. Laugh one sentence and cry the next. If you are like WTF when is this piece of shit book gonna be over, well then....not so good.

message 36: by Tammie (new) - added it

Tammie | 3894 comments Laura wrote: "Tammie wrote: "What a great idea! And I loved the get your minds out of the gutter comment. 😂"

I won't lie, my mind did go there!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Laura wrote: "@Mel - I made Daniel here read paranormal romance and even CHICK LIT! 😅😁

But he loved the stuff he read with me till now (well mos..."

🤣😂. I love it!!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Daniel wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Laura wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I will try someday 😊"

I trust you 😊😘"
Be careful with that tr..."

I trust her completely 😉

message 39: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Tammie wrote: "Laura wrote: "Tammie wrote: "What a great idea! And I loved the get your minds out of the gutter comment. 😂"

I won't lie, my mind did go there!"

Hopefully folks will be encouraged to join in with opinions and not just go along with the prevailing sentiment. Yes Laura likes the smutty books 😂😂😂, lmao...oh god that is so funny. Anyway, so many BRs end up where you don’t necessarily give your true opinion cuz of fear of maybe hurt feelings? Maybe you think Sanderson sucks? Malazan is terrible?? Wheel of Time is cracked??
I don’t think any of the above, but I think it is cool to say I didn’t like a, b, or c...just have an opinion. Arguing is good people!

message 40: by Tammie (new) - added it

Tammie | 3894 comments Daniel wrote: "Anyway, so many BRs end up where you don’t necessarily give your true opinion cuz of fear of maybe hurt feelings? Maybe you think Sanderson sucks? Malazan is terrible?? Wheel of Time is cracked??
I don’t think any of the above, but I think it is cool to say I didn’t like a, b, or c...just have an opinion. Arguing is good people! ..."

I don't have a problem saying what I think. 😅

I actually do think Sanderson sucks sometimes, but not most of the time. I have no interest in Malazan whatsoever, and Wheel of Time is cracked, but I still loved it. 😂🤣

I would love to join in on some of the discussions if you end up reading something I have read or am also interested in reading.

message 41: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Chapter 5

Okay (view spoiler)

message 42: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments @Tammie that sounds great. It took me forever to decide to do Malazan. The first half of the first book was somewhat insane, it appears the entire main series, ten books, is really dark. The characters, magic system, politics, backstory and so on are just so damn detailed...if you are into epic fantasy, this is EPIC. lol

message 43: by Tammie (new) - added it

Tammie | 3894 comments Daniel wrote: "@Tammie that sounds great. It took me forever to decide to do Malazan. The first half of the first book was somewhat insane, it appears the entire main series, ten books, is really dark. The charac..."

I like epic fantasy, but I don't like grimdark so that put me off Malazan. Malazan also might be too epic for me. 😂

message 44: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Oh very funny. The in between novels, Bauchelain and Kordach, are so incredibly different, I had to constantly check and make sure I was reading the correct book! Wickedly satirical and macabre, almost as if Erikson needed a complete cathartic purging of his system after writing one of the main books (I made that up off course!).

message 45: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments @ Laura. This book takes place during the second book of the main series.

message 46: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Chapter 6
(view spoiler)

message 47: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Chapter 7 & 8

(view spoiler)

Took me forever to read the name Menolly and not read Melody...funny how the mind plays tricks

message 48: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments Chapter 10
(view spoiler)

message 49: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments End of book
(view spoiler)

message 50: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 1536 comments These kinds of books don’t really lend themselves to copious comments. But dear Menolly is a true brave and wonderful MC!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19