Literary Horror discussion

Cinematic Horror > Horror Day on TCM 4/24/19 Wednesday

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (last edited Apr 22, 2019 09:47PM) (new)

Dan | 329 comments Just wanted to give cinema horror fans a headsup that Wednesday, April 24, looks to be a horror day on Turner Classic Movies, a cable station here in the U.S. http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.ht...

0600 Dirty Work (1933) - A Laurel and Hardy scary comedy short.
0630 Another Wild Idea (1934) - Not sure how much horror is in this short.
0700 The Tin Man (1935) - From IMDB: "Thelma and Patsy find themselves in a spooky house inhabited by a nut who is a mechanical genius and has made a robot who does everything." A 1935 robot!
0730 The Devil Bat (1940) - An obscure Bela Lugosi film.
0845 The Killer Shrews (1959) - From IMDB: "On an isolated island, a small group of people are terrorized by giant voracious shrews in the midst of a hurricane." Okay, this one doesn't look too promising.
1000 The Fly (1958) - Classic horror film.
1145 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) - Early Kubrick
1330 The Corpse Vanishes (1942) - Another less known Bela Lugosi.
1445 Terror Is a Man (1959) - From IMDB: "A mad scientist transforms a panther into a man-like creature that escapes and goes on a murderous rampage." Is this a Cat People in reverse, or a rerun of The Island of Dr. Moreau?
1630 The Brain that Wouldn't Die (1962) - True love is hunting for a body to transplant your significant other's brain into if they should be so unfortunate as to be in a car crash.
1800 Young Frankenstein (1974) Perhaps the greatest comedy horror classic.

message 2: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments I’ve probably seen all of these but only recall a few. The Devil Bat involves shaving lotion, nuff said. Shrews is one of those Mystery Science Theater 3000 things. The shrews are dogs with prosthetics that the camera never lingers on for long lest the spell of reality be broken. The Fly is good. Dr Strangelove is good but not horror. Weird lineup.

TCM was my favorite cable channel before I cut the cord. Filmstruck was a nice streaming alternative but went belly-up. Now I only have the Criterion Channel. Some people say Shudder is a good horror streaming service but I found the lineup tedious and second rate.

message 3: by Dan (last edited Apr 23, 2019 04:19PM) (new)

Dan | 329 comments The only one of these I have seen before is Dr. Strangelove. I'm most looking forward to the two Bela Lugosi films and the Laurel and Hardy. That comedic team was from a town just sixty miles west of where I live: Harlem, Georgia. All these years I've lived here and I've never been to the Laurel and Hardy Museum. I keep thinking I'll get there.

I meant to mention one more horror movie being shown this week. Well, TCM calls it horror; IMDB calls it SF and drama. It's an H.G. Wells written, thinking person's film you may not have yet seen: Things to Come (1936) at Noon on Saturday. From IMDB: "The story of a century: a decades-long second World War leaves plague and anarchy, then a rational state rebuilds civilization and attempts space travel."

message 4: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments Ahem, I hate to rain on anybody’s parade but while indeed Oliver Hardy is from Harlem, Georgia, Stan Laurel was a citizen of the British Empire, making them the most unlikely of compatriots.

message 5: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments Things to Come has a German Expressionist feel sort of like Metropolis. To me it’s boring as hell even as the visuals are somewhat captivating. The science fictiony parts are quaint from a 1930s perspective. The “airships” are particularly entertaining. I’m not a big Raymond Massey fan so that always drags things down a bit. If you can release your mind from the silliness the images can be quite frightening.

When I watch interwar films like this I often wonder if anyone really had an inkling.

message 6: by Dan (last edited Apr 24, 2019 07:40AM) (new)

Dan | 329 comments Thanks for reminding me on Laurel and Hardy. It's strange how neither of them speaks in their movies with any real accent. That was one of the funniest Laurel and Hardy movies I've ever seen. It's amazing how the humor still works almost 100 years later.

There was one piece of dialogue that particularly surprised me. The mad scientist at one point asked where Jessup, his servant, was. Oliver Hardy explained that it was a town about 32 miles southeast of Augusta. It still is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesup,_.... In 1933 when the film was made, the town would have had a population of around 2,500. Talk about your obscure jokes!