World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > What music do you listen to? Anything you'd recommend?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 209 (209 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments I'm taking instruction on asking music questions. What do you listen to? Any suggestions as to great music/musicians?

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris Haliday (krishaliday) | 127 comments I'm partial to John Lee Hooker (greatest bluesman ever) and Beethoven (well, it's Beethoven), myself.

message 3: by Marie (new)

Marie | 562 comments Personally I like rock, pop, and country. In rock, I like the older bands/singers from the 70's and 80's. Springsteen, Journey, Bob Segar, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, etc. In pop music: Lionel Richie, Barry Manilow, etc., and in country music, I like Randy Travis, Alan Jackson, Little Big Town, Garth Brooks, etc. I really like Little Big Town as I have almost all their cd's and they were coached by Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac when they first came out. They have the sound of Fleetwood Mac and they have so many good songs.

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments I like Bob Seger and Beethoven. But my favorite is Bob Dylan for his words. Not a very likable guy, not the best singer (although I've never heard a sour note), but for original words and versatility, he's the guy.

message 5: by W (new)

W In country music :
Jim Reeves
Don Williams
Marty Robbins
Faith Hill

message 6: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1622 comments I rarely listen to country music. If I do, I prefer the older stuff from the 60s and 70s. I like Faith Hill, Antebellum, Shania Twain.

I like soft rock. The big bands from the 70s and 80s like Journey, Cheap Trick, Fleetwood Mac, REO, etc. I am from NJ, so definitely a Springsteen, Bon Jovi, and Frank Sinatra fan. I still like Elvis. From the 90s onward - One Republic, Goo Goo Dolls. Train, Vertical Horizon, Matchbox Twenty.

For smaller, but still well-known with several albums - The Gin Blossoms, The Wallflowers, and Sister Hazel.

It is more about the songs themselves for a lot of the music I listen to, rather than the artist. So the U2, Hinder, Guns and Roses, and other hits from the 80s, 90s, 00. I was the person who bought those collections in the middle of the night half hour TV commercials.

message 7: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) In my collection
Classical - Chopin, Beethoven, Holtz and others
Rock - Led Zeppelin to Coldplay throw in Pink Floyd and Genesis
Jazz and Swing - Frank Sinatra to Buble passing Big Bands on the way
Blues - you name it Clapton playing anything
US Rock - Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles etc

I love songwriters and clever lyrics so lots of Billy Joel and Carol King.

Did I mention The Beatles

message 8: by W (last edited Nov 14, 2019 02:33PM) (new)

W I also like Springsteen and Journey.And several other bands from the 80s,Survivor,Toto,Styx,Chicago and Boston etc.It was a great decade for music.
I also have a fondness for Indian music of the 1950s,particularly the songs of legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar.Such a soothing voice,my all time favourite.

message 9: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments I've been listening to some old Brooks and Dunn albums. Great stuff. I was surprised today by one I'd never heard called "I Believe." I'm an old woman and have been thinking about my mortality, and this one spoke to me.

message 10: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13446 comments Anyone fancies rap, trance, house, heavy metal , mtv hits maybe? -:)

message 11: by W (new)

W Rap,not at all.

message 12: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments What music do you listen to, Nik?

message 13: by David (new)

David Flin | 18 comments It depends on mood, what I'm writing, or what I'm doing.

I find music can help set my mind thinking along certain directions and in certain patters, and I start to associate specific pieces of music with specific characters or settings.

For example, Six East End Boys was largely written to The Clash (am I showing my age?), while my as yet unpublished tales of Sergeant Frosty (it's a long story) was written to Petula Clark. Various Tchaikovsky and Gilbert and Sullivan for Bring Me My Bow, and Pink Floyd's The Wall for boring technical articles.

But - and this is the important part - never anything slow. My fingers tend to naturally move to the pace of the music.

message 14: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments I like to sing, and recently I've gained a huge appreciation for a few classical greats: Renee Fleming, and Audra McDonald particularly.

message 15: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13446 comments Scout wrote: "What music do you listen to, Nik?"

I listen while driving. A wide assortment of stuff: from stuff in Russian to rap, rock, house, trance and what not. Not much of soul, country, jazz or classical though

message 16: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1622 comments Nik wrote: "Anyone fancies rap, trance, house, heavy metal , mtv hits maybe? -:)"

I had to look up what trance and house were. No rap, but my 30 year old son listens to a lot of it. I don't watch music videos except for some live concert stuff.

I pretty much listen to alternative and classic rock.

message 17: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments What are three favorite songs from your late teens / early twenties? I'd say "Stairway to Heaven," "Time in a Bottle," and "Hard Headed Woman."

message 18: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1622 comments Lay Lady Lay - Dylan
I Don't Want To Go Home - Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes
I Don't Want to Know - Fleetwood Mac
Prove It All Night - Springsteen
Let Me Take You Home Tonight - Boston

I couldn't pare it down to 3 - all 5 of these have certain memories that made them matter to me. For me, music is the memories it creates and not the top 100 or whatever. Of course, in the mid to late 70s, we listened to radio and in the dorm in college a lot more of my friends had vinyl.

Rumors and Darkness on the Edge of Town were constantly playing somewhere in my late teens. I grew up in NJ so Southside Johnny, was big in the local bars/dance clubs My 1st summer in college that song was the last song every night before they threw everyone out. Boston was real big with the engineer majors, because of the type of music. Lay Lady Lay was on the jukebox at the closest bar at home when I wasn't at college and the bar owner gave me free drinks and money to play that song when I was home from school.

message 19: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments Lots of good memories there, Lizzie. Hearing a song from your twenties takes you back there, doesn't it?

message 20: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13446 comments To answer PK's question on another thread: "It would be interesting to know what music goes down in Israel."
The local flavor is ME music in Hebrew or Arabic, of which I'm not a fan. Other than that, there are hits in English, most feared for penetration of Western culture in places like Iran or N. Korea, and local artists working in Hebrew along contemporary most popular genres from rock to hip hop.
Latino music goes strong too.
To give a different angle on Palestinian narratives, I like DJ Sama and this set, shot in Ramallah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_OWH... , but I imagine not many will :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Nik, I'll give that link a go and let you know what I think. I really like the Middle Eastern music I've heard, particularly the type that sounds like an Arabic call to prayer.

PK - from New Image for Business (Wo) Men thread, I really enjoy classical music too. If you pushed me on it, I’d say Baroque is my favourite period, with Handel as best composer. I like pretty much anything, though, and am also really fond of some more recent composers like Morricone, Vangelis and Burgon, who were all big on film/ TV scores.

How about you?

Jazz is really growing on me as I get older but I don’t know that much about it. I’ve listened to some John Coltrane and Miles Davis, plus a few others. Do you have any particular recommendations?

Re popular music, a few favourites are The Who, The Kinks, Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order and Blur. The one modern band I like is Public Service Broadcasting. They're highly original and their albums focus on big historical events, which include archive audio footage with dancy or atmospheric backing tracks. I particularly recommend the album 'Race for Space', if anyone's interested.

By the way, if you like classical and want to branch out, I recommend Tangerine Dream (if you haven't already heard of them). They’re a German electronic band who have been going since the late ‘60s and are still around now. Their music is normally instrumental only and often has an almost classical feel to it.

message 22: by P.K. (new)

P.K. Davies | 358 comments Nik wrote: "To answer PK's question on another thread: "It would be interesting to know what music goes down in Israel."
The local flavor is ME music in Hebrew or Arabic, of which I'm not a fan. Other than tha..."

Thanks for the link, Nik. Yeah, it was pretty addictive. Electronics have come a long way since we had an electronics workshop at the BBC in the late fifties.

message 23: by P.K. (new)

P.K. Davies | 358 comments Scout wrote: "I like Bob Seger and Beethoven. But my favorite is Bob Dylan for his words. Not a very likable guy, not the best singer (although I've never heard a sour note), but for original words and versatili..."

The Nobel Committee agreed with you Scout; they gave him a Nobel for poetry. It's about time lyricists were recognised in some way. A lot of them are poets.

message 24: by P.K. (new)

P.K. Davies | 358 comments Scout wrote: "I've been listening to some old Brooks and Dunn albums. Great stuff. I was surprised today by one I'd never heard called "I Believe." I'm an old woman and have been thinking about my mortality, and..."

I believe was Frankie Laine in the late forties. The BBc actually banned it because of its religious connotation. Times have changed.
I loved his 'Night Riders In The Sky' too. A contemporary was Johnny Ray (Cry). You never hear of him now but he was avante guard at the time.

message 25: by P.K. (last edited Jan 21, 2021 08:03AM) (new)

P.K. Davies | 358 comments Philip wrote: "In my collection
Classical - Chopin, Beethoven, Holtz and others
Rock - Led Zeppelin to Coldplay throw in Pink Floyd and Genesis
Jazz and Swing - Frank Sinatra to Buble passing Big Bands on the way..."

I can live with all those, Philip, plus Sibelius, Ella, Ray Charles and Nat King Cole. Of the more contemporary that nobody has mentioned, I like Randy Edelman

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Nik, I've listened to the Sama link and like it. My partner and I often have that sort of thing on in the background when we're doing odd jobs. It makes good background music.

PK, I'm pretty sure it's 'Ghost Riders In The Sky' - a song kept alive (in part) by Aston Villa supporters with their song 'Holte Enders In The Sky'.

I forgot about the great crooners. I love Sinatra, although Elvis's version of 'My Way' runs his very, very close. Add Matt Monro to a list of all-time great male singers too.

message 27: by P.K. (new)

P.K. Davies | 358 comments Beau wrote: "Nik, I've listened to the Sama link and like it. My partner and I often have that sort of thing on in the background when we're doing odd jobs. It makes good background music.

PK, I'm pretty sure ..."

You're right, Beau. I didn't know that about Villa. It's sixty years since I watched a match there. But it doesn't compare with my Anfield's You'll Never Walk Alone'
I can't imagine what you do around the house to Sama? I have visions of that great publicity stunt that Bridgitte Bardo did the house-work just wearing an apron.

message 28: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9483 comments I tend to prefer music from the classical period (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven) with a slight fall-off from that as time passes, but I am still interested in music that attracts my attention. Anyone join me in liking that of Hildegard of Bingen?

As for listening, I have a hobby most won't have. When I got attracted to classical music I started composing and recently I have dug up some of my earlier compositions, like written over 50 years ago, and it is really weird to get an emotional contact with my much younger self. This is mainly piano music.

message 29: by J. (last edited Jan 21, 2021 02:18PM) (new)

J. Gowin | 2874 comments My tastes are eclectic. Tonight, I'm listening to Born in the USA. With songs like My Hometown, Downbound Train, and the titular Born in the USA, this is one of Springsteen's darkest albums.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 22, 2021 03:37AM) (new)

J, I have a couple of close friends who absolutely love Springsteen. Everything I’ve heard, I’ve enjoyed too. I’ve sometimes found myself walking around the house singing ‘Born in the USA’. I must make a point of listening to more of his stuff. What are your other favourites?

Ian, I hadn’t heard of Hildegard of Bingen until you mentioned her. Why don’t you put your own compositions online? I would certainly listen to them.

PK, unfortunately our household chores aren’t that exciting. I might see if I can find any old footage of Brigitte Bardot’s housework after the 9pm watershed ;)

Congratulations on visiting the home of football 60 years ago. Have a read of Bobby Charlton’s autobiography. In it, he claims to have heard ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ regularly sung at Villa Park during matches in the 1950s, presumably on the back of the 1940s’ musical, ‘Carousel’. Following Gerry and the Pacemakers 1960s’ version, Liverpool’s Kop adopted it, at a time of that club’s ascendency and Villa’s decline. It went on to become accepted as the scousers’ song but Sir Bobby knows otherwise.

By the way, are your favourite artists those you mentioned in response to Philip’s post?

message 31: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9483 comments Beau, to put my music online, someone has to play it. I play for my own amusement, but not well enough for that. First, over the years my fingers have suffered enough damage that playing is not really as smooth or controlled as it should be, and secondly, even now I am writing and editing books, still maintaining my interest in physical sciences, compose, consulting for a couple of companies and maintaining house and section. I simply don't have time to practice a good technique, and I would not like my music to be judged by my imperfect performing skills (or lack of skills).

message 32: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1622 comments I was a teen in the 70s growing up in NJ. Springsteen, Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, Frank Sinatra, Southside Johnny - are all loaded on my CD player and downloaded in my car. Having moved to AZ, at the end of the 90s I discovered the Gin Blossoms, which is a Tempe, AZ band originally.

Lately, I tell the robot (Alexa) to play smooth jazz or R and B. Quincy Jones, Anderson East, Blues Travelers, Kenny G., Commodores - are the only ones I know when they come on. There is a station called Quiet Storm that I let play for hours but unless I want to spend time looking on my phone or tv screen to see what is playing, I just sit back and enjoy with no clue as to who is new, old or whatever.

message 33: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments A country boy sings about COVID and hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYTzZ...

message 34: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) For Springsteen try The Rising - written during and after 9/11 or for more upbeat the Live In Dublin is a joy to listen and to watch the band having fun

Billy Joel is a hero of mind (as are many singer song writers) Can't think of a bad song although Uptown Girl is probably my least favourite - Scenes From An Italian Restaurant is three brilliant songs in one.

Elton John - Love Captain Fantastic Taupin and Elton are equivalent to any writing duo. FUneral for a Friend into Love Lives Bleeding from Yellow Brick Road.

Not mentioned Beatles - where do you start - hey day pop or the grief in Elanor Rigby throw in George Harrison's Something. Lennon continued until cut short and as for McCartney I still love the Band on The Run Album

Mentions of classical - Holst The Planets, Nimrod, Beethoven's Pastoral - How about some Chopin and Rachmaninov - not such a big fan of Mozart as most opera leaves me cold.

As for Musicals where do you start for high emotional output Les Mis or Carousel.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Billy Joel is an excellent singer songwriter. I must say though, Philip, Uptown Girl is actually my favourite lol. It might not have as thoughtful lyrics as some of the others but, as a melodic pop song, it’s up there with the very best.

On the subject of operas, I bought Wagner’s Ring Cycle years ago but I’m still not sure if I’ve listened to it the whole way through. Just looked it up and apparently, it’s 17 hours long :)

Over the weekend, I listened to The Dave Brubeck Quartet for the first time. Some older group members might remember them. The album was called Time Out (includes the famous single, Take 5) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommend for all jazz lovers.

Still no mention of the great David Bowie, or have I missed a post?

message 36: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) David Bowie - poor admission on my part

We have been blessed with singer songwriters - also did not mention Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Carol King, The Beach Boys, Neil Diamond and many many others

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I've liked Bowie since I was a boy in the 1980s but have come to really love his music as I've got older. He came across as a really nice, grounded bloke too.

Regarding The Beatles, nobody doubts their talent (IMO the only UK group with an equal amount was Queen) but I very rarely listen to them. My personal taste in '60s groups is much more inclined towards The Stones, The Who and The Kinks. And yes, nothing like heading to the coast on a summer's morning with The Beach Boys on the car stereo :)

message 38: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9483 comments Anyone who claims they can listen to the ring cycle continuously is, in my opinion ether lying or really strange. On Wagner, agree with Mark Twain - "Wagner's music is better than it sounds".

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Ian wrote: "Anyone who claims they can listen to the ring cycle continuously is, in my opinion ether lying or really strange. On Wagner, agree with Mark Twain - "Wagner's music is better than it sounds"."

Ha ha love that! I've got to be honest, it's not completely my cup of tea either. It's a bit heavy duty. With that type of classical music, I think I prefer Sibelius.

Btw...another amazing Mark Twain quote! He has to be the doyenne of great sayings.

message 40: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments One of my favorite performances. Skip the ad in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZG82...

message 41: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13446 comments Cool stuff, Scout, and it has whiskey in it too :)

message 42: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments Yes, I'd recommend it to the drink.with.us members. I've meant to comment on the D.J. Sama video you posted. I can't say I found the music satisfying; I'd compare it to bopping down a road and never getting anywhere :-) But the beat was good, and I enjoyed observing the crowd. One guy in the background only stood and smoked, never moving otherwise; maybe he was security. The people close to the performers were really into it, others further away not so much. Why do you like this, well, I can't really call it music as much as electronic manipulation of sounds? Is it the dance aspect?

message 43: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13446 comments Scout wrote: "Why do you like this, well, I can't really call it music as much as electronic manipulation of sounds? Is it the dance aspect?..."

Yeah, the dancing beat. As a student I used to love daytime street parties that were held on Rothschild Boulevard back then :)
As of Sama I first heard about her just recently, reading that she was arrested by the Palestinian authorities https://djmag.com/news/palestinian-dj... , while having authorization of their Ministry of Tourism, but luckily released soon thereafter thanks to public outcry. Thought she was cool and liked her beat.

message 44: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments She's a cool girl. I don't understand the political stuff behind the arrest. She seems to have had permission to perform there and still have been arrested, so there's more to this than meets the eye.

message 45: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments Here's Bob Dylan singing when he won an Academy Award for his song "Things Have Changed." This is how I feel at times these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA8a_...

message 46: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13446 comments Scout wrote: "... there's more to this than meets the eye.."

Some religious Muslims were outraged by the streaming from the party, which some considered sacred place, so they came to bust the event. The authorities first reaction was the same, but then - they seemed to have reconsidered..

message 47: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13446 comments Hi Elena, welcome & thanks for the suggestions! Feel free to barge in here and elsewhere :)

message 48: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5332 comments Lovely video, Elena. Thanks! It would be great if more people would post videos here of their favorite performers and music. I enjoy seeing what other people are into musically - music I would never experience otherwise.

message 49: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) On a cold winters day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7ceR...

A great version with choir and orchestra

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Philip wrote: "On a cold winters day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7ceR...

A great version with choir and orchestra"

Great song! One of Birmingham's finest bands.

Thinking orchestras, one of the best concerts/ gigs I've ever been to was at The Royal Albert Hall to see Echo and The Bunnymen perform their 'Ocean Rain' album backed up by an orchestra. If anyone hasn't heard this album, I recommend it to you. It's an absolute masterpiece.

« previous 1 3 4 5