Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Pop and Literary Horror?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 322 comments Hi, I'm almost certain this has been addressed elsewhere (darned if I can find that thread.) but can anyone provide me with a definitive description of the differences between PO Horror (I'm sure S. King might be an example) and Literary Horror (Pow?)... and some examples of authors who might fit each of these sub-genres?

Thank You

message 2: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 242 comments Are those really sub-genres? I know there's talk of literary horror, but pop horror? Isn't there really just good writing and bad writing?

Or maybe there's a spectrum with one end the stuff the great majority of readers will agree is extremely bad (whether or not they enjoy it) and at the other end the stuff the great majority of readers will agree is extremely good (whether or not they enjoy it).

For me, King sits well past the half-way mark on the extremely good side. So do Peter Straub, Caitlin R. Kiernan, and Ramsey Campbell. (Ditto H. P. Lovecraft, M.R. James, Arthur Machen, Poe, Algernon Blackwood, Robert Aickman, Shirley Jackson, ...)

And I try to avoid the other stuff, though my one brush with Richard Laymon suggested he was on the wrong side of the half-way mark.

message 3: by Char (new)

Char  | 13650 comments Mod
I'm not sure a definition for POP horror, (do you mean popular?) exists and if it did, it would surely be a subjective label.

You can't really use popular as a definition because popular might also be literary or it might not.

I agree with what Randy wrote above, but be aware, that these are our opinions and other might think differently.