Great American Read List discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > May 2019 Poll

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew, moderator (last edited Apr 22, 2019 04:59PM) (new)

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
Hi all. I just posted a poll for the May group read.
You can find it here. This is my first try at creating a poll, so it might look a little weird. I selected five stand-alone novels at random that we haven't already read. Here they are:

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving - #26 on the GAR list.
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez - #54
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - #89
Another Country by James Baldwin - #90
Looking for Alaska by John Green - #92

I set the poll to end on Friday. I hope that's enough time. I'll add more time if we don't get too many votes. Again, this is my first time creating a poll, so if anything isn't working or looks messed up, please let me know. Thanks!

message 2: by Andrew, moderator (new)

Ugh. I just broadcast a message about the poll with a link to it and to this discussion, only I guess I screwed up the links. And you can only send one broadcast per day. So for anyone who got confused by that: Sorry! I'll send out a message with corrected links tomorrow, I guess.

message 3: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 252 comments Mod
That's ok, I really like the Goodreads, page not found screen. It was worth the broken link.

message 4: by Bridget (new)

I'm actually not familiar with any of these books and they all sound interesting. "A Prayer for Owen Meany" and "Looking for Alaska" sound like they might have the same type of drama as "Flowers in the Attic", so I think I'll wait on those two. I'll have to think about the other three a little bit more.

message 5: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Langsather (langsather) | 50 comments I am laboring through The Intuitionist at the moment and had to quit the Flowers in the Attic series for now even though I was enjoying it and the creepiness factor but I keep adding books to my reading list and not finishing them! I am "spring cleaning" my reading list and trying to focus on only one book at a time. I don't know where the poll went but if you are going to read Looking for Alaska that is the one I would most likely participate in.

message 6: by Bridget (last edited Apr 24, 2019 01:37PM) (new)

Larissa wrote: "I am laboring through The Intuitionist at the moment and had to quit the Flowers in the Attic series for now even though I was enjoying it and the creepiness factor but I ..."

Here is the link to the poll so you can vote for the next book to read.
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

I really liked The Intuitionist, it was a challenging read and I'm so glad I finished it.

message 7: by Andrew, moderator (new)

I haven't read any John Green, but I've watched a number of his YouTube videos, and I've always been curious about his novels. Looking for Alaska is certainly a popular one, so I definitely wouldn't mind giving it a try. It's one of those books where I'm really not in the "target demographic", but I think I'd probably like it anyway.

message 8: by Andrew, moderator (new)

The winner of the poll is Looking For Alaska. I've created a new topic for discussion of this book here.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.