Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments I came close to making this a five star but I like to save that extra star for books that really blow me away. I really enjoyed this. I'll be reading more of this series. I find Guido Brunetti to have a wonderful, somewhat dry, sense of humor. I love his attitude toward his boss, Vice-Questore Giuseppe Patta. Patta is a putz, I don't like him at all but Brunetti knows him so well! I kind of hope Patta won't last too long in the series though!

Leon is very good describing Venice and making it real for the reader. I could easily picture the scene even though I've never been there.

The mystery was a good one - not easily figured out. The way Brunetti uncovered things was excellent. He's calm, thoughtful, and a loving husband. His wife Paola is also an excellent character. He is a father but, in this story, we don't "see" his children but we do know of them. How he handles the final parts of the story was very different and very satisfying.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4849 comments Unfortunately, Patta stays around until book 12 at least (that's as far as I've gotten). But without him we wouldn't appreciate how wonderful Signora Elettra is, so he makes a great foil for her!