The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn discussion

Historical Fiction (This was my favorite!)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige (new)

Paige This is one of those books I had heard about endlessly, and even know references from, but have never read myself. This was the perfect opportunity to get into this novel and dissect it for myself. Ultimately my conclusion is that Huck Finn is a vehicle that Mark Twain uses to insight change in people. Huck Finn is a model of how to assess one’s bias and look within to find an alternative. Aside from my final conclusion about the main character, there is much about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn that grasps my interest. In regards to structure, Mark Twain writes in the first person, allowing the reader to experience the voyage through Huck’s eyes. An orphaned Huck Finn pairs up with an escaped slave to run away together along the Mississippi River. This novel takes place previous to the Civil War, setting the tone to be oppressive and inciting suspense for Jim, our runaway slave character. Reading the experience through the eyes of Huck Finn reveals his intelligence, and ladder of change. In the classroom, a challenge I forsee facing is the abrasive use of the N word and racist themes. Although, it does offer the opportunity to open a reflective conversations within my class. The dialogue would demand a delicate approach, but if executed well it could produce long term results in my students’ character. This is the story of a 19th Century moral dilemma, but is relevant both metaphorically, and unfortunately literally in some cases still. Beyond the serious messages in the wake of Huckleberry Finn, the story is flat out fun to read. I would consider reading this book out loud to my class for multiple reasons. One, to responsibly navigate how the strong language in this book is delivered, and also to engage the students in the story telling and characters.

David Paige wrote: "This is one of those books I had heard about endlessly, and even know references from, but have never read myself. This was the perfect opportunity to get into this novel and dissect it for myself...."

One of my favorite novels, by my favorite author. I love Huck's voice, as well as Jim's and the minor characters of the Duke and the Dauphin. An adventure story with a deeper meaning told by an engaging narrator with a wonderful voice.

Azazil Jim's dialogue gives me an epilepsy every time I read a sentence. That's the only reason I won't bother with Tom Sawyer's Adventures.

Luke Soto its sad though the story holds so much depth so much in the way of adventure i gotta say this was the story sent me into the world of classical written story by great authors it was this story that made me come alive to the adventures of being a boy and the adventures of the world around me. to tell you the truth if mark twain as the stuffy man we think in all classics we would never have such great stories like this.

Jim how can you not fall to love this boy i mean this kid was willing to self sacrifice and the lingo was true to the era it really brought that added degree to make this book last the ages it has.