Play Book Tag discussion

The Heretic's Apprentice (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #16)
This topic is about The Heretic's Apprentice
April 2019: History > The Heretic's Apprentice by Ellis Peters 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 6888 comments Another entry in the Brother Cadfael mysteries, and I enjoyed it better than I expected to, particularly given that it is # 16, so I have rounded up my 3.5 to 4. Shelved History 9 times.

From the back:
It is June in the Year of Our Lord 1143 when Elave, young clerk to William of Lythwood, returns from a pilgrimage to the Holy Land with his elderly master’s body. His mission is twofold, to bury William in his home abbey of St. Peter and St. Paul, and to deliver a dowry to William’s adopted daughter Fortunata. But Elave, suspected of harboring views inimical to church doctrine, is held for ecclesiastical trial. And when Aldwin, the Lythwood family clerk hired in Elave’s absence, is stabbed to death, Elave is incarcerated not only for heresy, but for murder. Fortunata’s dowry, an intricately carved box with mysterious contents, holds the key to the mysteries that spring up around Elave and the Lythwood family. Shrewd and patient, Brother Cadfael is at his best here.

Another murder mystery, but still well done and still very much the same Brother Cadfael. In addition, there are discussions in it of the political upheaval going on in England between rivals for the crown. The characters are well done, the red herrings good, and overall I have to say that I am glad I have resumed this series.

Booknblues | 5352 comments Karin wrote: "Another entry in the Brother Cadfael mysteries, and I enjoyed it better than I expected to, particularly given that it is # 16, so I have rounded up my 3.5 to 4. Shelved History 9 times.

From the ..."

I wish there were about 20 more Cadfael mysteries. I'm not much into rereading but I love Cadfael and the whole setting.

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4865 comments I love this series! I wish Peters had survived to write more, it ends at 20, but with nothing hanging so there's at least that!

Karin | 6888 comments I enjoy this, too. However, when I asked my daughter to get my copy from upstairs as I was packing up to go to Beantown, she found it in my pile and called it an old person's book! But she's 21 and of course my parents are the ones who are old (and they are both over 80 now).