Play Book Tag discussion

April 2019: History > The House At The Edge of Night-5 stars(Horizons)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Apr 22, 2019 04:24PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments The House at the Edge of Night-5 stars

This is a wonderful Family Saga, covering a huge span of history from the beginnings of the 20th century to the Financial Crisis in 2007.

Amedeo Esposito comes to the small island of Castellemare in the early 1900's as the Doctor in Residence. The story follows his life and the generations of Esposito's that follow. There is nothing deep about this book, no hidden message. Just the history of the world, and these families who seem so remote from it all.

Catherine Banner's writing pulled me in after the first few pages and kept me involved with the characters, loving them all. There is the Esposito Family and then there are the other residence of this very small island-The old women who live for their gossip-the old men playing cards in the bar, the children growing up in a world that is changing, and never being aware of those changes until months, sometimes years later. Then there is Santa' Agata, the Patron Saint of the Island, does she really preform miracles, or is it just the faith of these islanders that makes you believe in them?

After I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society I wanted to go to that place-no other book since has done that for me-this one did-it's too bad that Castellemare is not real-I would go there in a minute.

If you are looking for a book to just take you away, I recommend this
highly.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8535 comments I felt so glad to be reading this one together! Easy to get enraptured in the magic! Great read!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments Amy wrote: "I felt so glad to be reading this one together! Easy to get enraptured in the magic! Great read!"

Yes, I really needed something like this, I felt myself getting into a slump, and this book pulled me out of it!

message 4: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 24, 2019 05:42AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5233 comments You make it sound lovely. I like books like this. Did you ever read Maeve Binchy's (Irish) novels? I always felt good after reading one of her books.

Would you describe either of those books as beautiful? Guernsey is on my TBR36 list so I'll have to wait.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments NancyJ wrote: "You make it sound lovely. I like books like this. Did you ever read Maeve Binchy's (Irish) novels? I always felt good after reading one of her books.

Would you describe either of those books as be..."

I read some Binchy years ago, my sister-in-law loved them and always passed them on to me back then. I would describe the writing in Edge as beautiful-but a lot of times that can be subjective-also I think the dynamic of the people on this small Island was beautiful, how they forged a "family" among themselves whatever the world issue-I think this could fit the tag.

message 6: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5233 comments Joanne wrote: "N ...

also I think the dynamic of the people on this small Island was beautiful, how they forged a "family" among themselves whatever the world issue-I think this could fit the tag.
.."

Thanks. I really like that kind of dynamic. I think that's part of what I liked about A Man Called Over, Eleanor Oliphant, Louise Penny's books and others.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8535 comments This tag is going to be amazingly subjective. I think very many things could probably qualify for it. In fact there’s so much that could qualify, but I think I’m going with just the challenge of the word in the title myself for my two books.

message 8: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5233 comments Amy wrote: "This tag is going to be amazingly subjective. I think very many things could probably qualify for it. In fact there’s so much that could qualify, but I think I’m going with just the challenge of th..."

Wouldn't that require you to add new books to your TBR? I don't think I would find that satisfying at all. A word in the title can't change the quality of a book. Check out the book Beautiful Bastard to see what I mean.

I'm sure you have books already on your TBR that you can tell fit your idea of beauty - based on whatever reasons you had when you added them to your list. You already know which people have tastes similar to yours, so ask them for help.

Which books have you read that YOU would consider beautiful?

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8535 comments Oh honey, they’re both on my TBR. With very little exception, and for Brazil I’m making that exception, I am only reading off my TBR. I had about eight or nine books without even looking further that I felt qualified. And went with those two. This is the year I take off 100. An ad from the secret phone list very slowly. My goal of getting under 425? I’m already there. Watch me shoot for 400.