Book Loving Kiwis discussion

BOTM Nominations > June-July Group read nominations (NZ Non-fiction)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
That time again, time to pick our next group read.

Thanks to all those that picked up our last read Sweet Enough: Less sugar, more taste and tried some of the recipes. Feel free to carry on the conversation or find out what we thought here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I liked trying out a different genre the last couple of months so I thought we could try another. For June-July choose a non-fiction book.

Comment below with a non-fiction book you'd like to nominate. A few rules below:

- Should be written by a Kiwi author or about a NZ topic/place
- Should be relatively easy to get hold of (e.g. available in both print and e-version)

Nominations will close Saturday 18 May 2019. I'll then put up a poll - most votes win (one vote per person).

So let the nominations start rolling in... :)

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
I'm going to nominate A History of New Zealand Women. I feel like there are so many NZ women who have done great things but that I know very little about. Have been wanting to read this one for ages.

A History of New Zealand Women by Barbara Brookes

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments Erica wrote: "I'm going to nominate A History of New Zealand Women. I feel like there are so many NZ women who have done great things but that I know very little about. Have been wanting to read ..."

I've read this & it was excellent. Having a think about my nomination...

Allyssa (Book Ally) | 1 comments Novel about my wife by Emily Perkins?

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ wrote: "Erica wrote: "I'm going to nominate A History of New Zealand Women. I feel like there are so many NZ women who have done great things but that I know very little about. Have been wa..."

Black Beech and Honeydew Ngaio Marsh's autobiography. Available for kindles & a number of NZ libraries carry it.

message 6: by Carlene (new)

Carlene (zellian) | 330 comments Wild Dunedin The Natural History of New Zealand's Wildlife Capital by Neville Peat Wild Dunedin: The Natural History of New Zealand's Wildlife Capital
I don't normally read non-fiction, so it was a mission to find something I was actually interested in.

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
Allyssa (Book Ally) wrote: "Novel about my wife by Emily Perkins?"

Love that novel - but gonna focus on NZ non-fiction this time round. Perhaps hold this thought until our next fiction group read :)

Do you have a non-fiction NZ book you'd like to nominate?

message 8: by Erica (last edited Apr 23, 2019 10:23PM) (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
Hi Cameron,

Great that you're joining in. Unfortunately anyone nominating their own book must have commented at least 30 times on group threads. Looks like you've only commented 2 times. Rules at the thread below. Feel free to nominate another book though :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie | 137 comments I'm nominating Memory Pieces by Maurice Gee. One of my go-to books as a child was 'Under the Mountain' so I thought his memoir could be interesting.

message 10: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (bronwynelsmore) | 69 comments Here's one that is well worth reading --
The Truth about Language: What It Is and Where It Came FromMichael C. Corballis
I've got more suggestions if you need them.

message 11: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 5 comments After a browse of my to-read list, I've come up with these three NZ non-fiction options I'd like to read that I believe are reasonably accessible:
Daughter of Gloriavale: My life in a Religious Cult
The Cause of Death
With Them Through Hell: New Zealand Medical Services in the First World War

message 12: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Apr 27, 2019 06:26PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments Hi Amelia & Bronwyn

This is just my personal opinion, but I think it is best to have just one nomination per person. The more nominations there are, the more fragmented the vote becomes in a small group.

You can always put your 'extras' in the book pool. :)

But its Erica's call.

message 13: by Rita (new)

Rita Kunselman | 217 comments I would like to submit “Drawn out “ which is the Memoir of Tom Scott, most famously A journalist, playwright, and documentary filmmaker since the 1970’s. I have a goof friend that is an Author in New Zealand and bought this book for her Husband. Rita R. Kunselman

message 14: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
Amelia wrote: "After a browse of my to-read list, I've come up with these three NZ non-fiction options I'd like to read that I believe are reasonably accessible:
[book:Daughter of Gloriavale: My life in a Religio..."

Sorry I never responded to your message. One nomination per person is best, so the votes are too split when we vote in the poll. I just made an exec decision and included your first choice in the poll.

Thanks for nominating :)

message 15: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
The poll is now up everyone so get voting for the book you think we should read in June and July.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments Erica wrote: "The poll is now up everyone so get voting for the book you think we should read in June and July.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1......"

Giving this a bump! :)