World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Rooted to one place or cosmopolitan?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13129 comments As we have quite a few active members, who underwent relocation(s) to a different place/continent, and soon maybe - to another planet, while some others maybe remained around the same area since childhood, would you describe yourself as rooted or cosmopolitan and what would compel you to relocate? And if you had to, would you easily fit into a new life/culture?

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments I'm a cosmopolitan - I have lived in about nine countries in the last 30 years. It's work that's mainly driven this, but I originally went abroad because I was curious about the world. But I can't see anything wrong in staying close to home if that is what you prefer.

Another planet? Not so sure about that!

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5206 comments I'm rooted to this place by family. But if you're not that close to family, or if your job requires relocation, then cosmopolitan is the way to go.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9266 comments I have been in a number of countries for business, etc, but now, thanks to age, I am rooted in one place. I think it is easier for the young to adapt to another culture, but as you age, it gets a little harder.

message 5: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments I've moved states, and lived a long way from family in a remote area as well as travelling overseas (currently skiing in Canada) quite a bit.

Australia is quite a mulitcultural society as well, so I'd like to think I'm both cosmopolitan as well as rooted where we currently live. We've been there for 16 years so far, but our children are now 2000+km north, and 4800km west.

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13129 comments Mike wrote: ".. I have lived in about nine countries in the last 30 years. ..."

Impressive!

message 7: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5206 comments I guess it's a matter of what's more important, roots or wings. Something to be said for both.