Stella Project discussion

Between a Wolf and a Dog
This topic is about Between a Wolf and a Dog
Discussions > May 2019 - Between a Wolf and a Dog

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ely (new) - added it

Ely (earlgreybooks) | 47 comments Mod
Discussion for Between a Wolf and a Dog by Georgia Blain. It was shortlisted for the 2017 prize.

Emily Kate (bookishemilykate) | 0 comments I love, love, love and adore this book sooo much... thank you for recommending it.. this book came for me at the right place and right time and was everything I needed at that time.. an absolute joy and pleasure to read.. how are you finding it?

Emily (em_isreading) (em_isreading) | 112 comments Mod
Who has started? I’ve ripped through the first 100 pages, and I am LOVING it. It’s so beautifully written, there’s so much tension. Thanks for making this the first choice Ely!!

Toni (toniware) | 22 comments I started this morning. I’m listening to the audio book. I’m almost through part one and loving the slow, but well-paced reveal of the characters.

Me too, the gradual reveal of who they are and how they relate and how they are the same and also different is wonderful. It’s slow but I don’t get the impression that nothing is happening like you do in so many slow start books. It helps with the building of tension, you can feel the spark of a world that is about to implode

Toni (toniware) | 22 comments Finished! OMG!!!

Finished.

Literal sobbing. Ugly crying and my cat is looking at me like I’ve lost it. Which I have, because this book is everything.

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue (fyrewitch) | 30 comments Hugs, there’s nothing quite like a book that rips out your heart and stomps on it. I love this one.

Toni (toniware) | 22 comments Thank goodness for pets. I was curled up in bed with two dogs when I hit the last section!

I don’t want to ruin it for everyone else, but how broken were we all at the end?

message 11: by Toni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Toni (toniware) | 22 comments In so want to speak about it but don’t want to ruin it. But utterly broken

Emily Kate (bookishemilykate) | 0 comments I agree.. it's a really heartbreakingly beautiful book... I have just finished reading 'The Museum of Words', which was Georgia Blain's last memoir... it is beautifully fantastic, and made me do a lot of soul-searching.. in the final parts of the memoir, Georgia shares her thoughts on the writing process of 'between a wolf and a dog' and it is well worth a read... there is something sacred about the writing process and it is so wonderful and special to read about this process of entering into a work, and all the things that surround bringing that work into fruition.. I really love her writing and I'm looking forward to finding some more of her novels and memoir to read.. happy reading adventures everyone! Have fun! :)

Tanya | 17 comments I have been wanting to read this for a while. I’d read some of Blain’s other novels years ago and Museum of words more recently. Thanks for mentioning it Emily. I may now go back to it. I alternated between the print and the audio version of the book. I finished this standing in my backyard as the sun went down. Almost that time ‘between a wolf and a dog’ so it was perfect! So very sad. An incredibly moving and powerful book. Georgia was a wonderful writer. It’s sad that she passed away in 2016.

Oooft. I am going to have to add that one to my TBR!