Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern / 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimber (last edited Apr 21, 2019 07:31PM) (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
5 Stars

The circus arrives without warning, and with this first sentence the reader is plunged into a magical story of two long-time rivals who use human pawns to challenge each other in a life-long contest with very high stakes. Celia has spent her life learning her father's brand of magic. Marco was taken under his benefactor's wing and has been studying and mastering the old man's mystical teachings ever since. Celia and Marco are pitted against each other in a deadly battle and the circus and all of its lively, interesting, colorful entertainers is at the center of it all.

For a reason I don't understand, I often avoid books that are trending toward popularity while they are popular; maybe I'm afraid I'll be disappointed? (I still haven't read the Hunger Games trilogy.) The Night Circus was one of those books I put on my TBR list when everyone was lauding it – in 2011 it was in PBT's top ten – and then studiously avoided reading for the next several years. I read it this month, and found it to be as delightful as everyone has been saying. All of the characters are so interesting. I especially loved the story line that included Poppet, Widget, and Bailey. The story is told with lyrical, lovely language and I deeply appreciated the ending. Kudos to Erin Morgenstern for taking her National Novel Writing Month (NANO) writing and transforming it into The Night Circus.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8180 comments Great review for a great book!

message 3: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I also put off reading this one for a while but am glad I got around to it. Just in time, too. Morgenstern finally has a new book coming out this year: The Starless Sea.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue | 998 comments I just read this one last year and loved it! Glad you enjoyed!

Sometimes I wait to see if a "popular" book stands the test of time before I'll read it.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6106 comments I initially bought this when first published because the cover seduced me. As it was not a genre I typically read, I put off -- for years --- reading it. After a friend and her entire family (husband, 2 teenage daughters) recommended it, I finally pulled it off the shelf. Absolutely loved it! Kicked myself for waiting so long.

I also tend to delay reading the 'hot' new books until long after -- I still have not read Memoirs of a Geisha or Water for Elephants or The Kite Runner for example, even though I have copies gifted to me years ago. I am getting to them though, one at a time.