Play Book Tag discussion

Daisy Jones & The Six
This topic is about Daisy Jones & The Six
Archive: Other Books > Daisy Jones and the Six, 5 stars, by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8156 comments Man, did I enjoy this book! Taylor Jenkins Reid is emerging as one of my all time favorite authors! I got so wrapped up in this story, and could hear the music in my head!

From the moment she stepped out onto the scene, the heroine of the book for me was Camilla! Yes, Daisy and Billy have a magnetic power, and star quality, but Camilla? She was the quiet and strong passionate core of the book. And while there were many multilayered love stories, including the love story of each of the characters with music and rock and roll, and with each other, brothers and friends, and uneasy alliances, the love story of the book for me, and it had fierce and stiff competition, was clearly the love passionately fought for and expressed by Billy and Camilla. That "rocked" me to the core. "You will always be my only Aurora!"

Interesting themes of brothers and lovers playing in a band together, balancing out a future that is both melded with the band, and independent of it. The possibility of solo fame, of children, of settling down, the role of drugs, addiction, sex, music, and fame.... This book had it all, and I loved every single note! Its a not to be missed for sure!

*To me, I don't see how this is characterized by some as history. If they had been an actual, not fictionalized band, then maybe there could be a slightly strong argument that there was a pop culture history element, but short of that, not in my book. Curious why folks felt it fit that tag, but far more curious to now discover what everybody thought and felt. I can now read your reviews far more closely. Great Recommendation, All!

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6882 comments Another fan of this book! I did mark it want to read after all the discussion last time.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I would not tag it history, personally, but it seems to be extremely heavily influenced by Fleetwood Mac when they were writing and recording Rumours.

It is definitely not biographical in the strict sense of the word, but there are many, many parallels.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments 2 Weeks away on the audiobook waitlist!

Holly R W | 1111 comments I loved the book too, Amy. All of the characters were very real to me and quite interesting. And yes, Camilla was very wise for someone so young. She was the reason that Billy was able to become sober and more responsible.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8156 comments She was the force not just behind the music, but every member of the band! She was the kind of person worth writing an album for and getting sober for... she stays with me. Maybe also since I heard it on Audio. Like my third book ever....

message 7: by Holly R W (last edited Apr 22, 2019 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Holly R W | 1111 comments I viewed a video interview of the author. She said that the book has been slated to become a mini series. Won't that be great!

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8156 comments I think it would make a fabulous miniseries!

message 9: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 22, 2019 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments I just read it too, and I agree - there is no history in the book. I don't remember if they even mentioned the Vietnam War, Woodstock, Civil rights demonstrations, Watergate, etc.

If they did make a movie of it, I suppose they could put it in almost any time period, adjusting the music as needed. It sort of reminded me of when Fergie joined the hip hop group Black Eyed Peas.

KateNZ | 2207 comments Loved it too - and you’re so right about Camilla. She’s the focal point for so much