Homegoing Homegoing discussion

Recommendation for Books from Modern African Authors

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Steven Hey everyone,

I've recently been getting into reading more stories by African authors which has been incredibly interesting and provided me with some new insights into the history and diversity of the continent. I've read some books by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie for instance on Nigeria, and now just recently a book about Ghana by Yaa Gyasi.

I would love to continue reading a bit more of books taking place on the African continent and preferably written by African authors or those of the diaspora. Therefore I turn to you, have there been any particularly fascinating reads by African authors from various countries that you have come across that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Best,

Steve

Megan If you liked Homegoing, then I would strongly recommend Kintu. There were a lot of parallels and the narrative style is the same. It's written for a Ugandan audience, so it takes a bit to get used to the naming conventions, but I loved this book.

Steven Megan wrote: "If you liked Homegoing, then I would strongly recommend Kintu. There were a lot of parallels and the narrative style is the same. It's written for a Ugandan audience, so it takes a ..."

Hey Megan, thanks for pointing this out - would be super interesting to check out yet again another country on the African continent! I will definitely check it out! :)

Best,
Steve

B.J. Sikes Pretty much anything by Nnedi Okorafor. Binti is a YA novella and is an easy entree into her books.
Nisi Shawl wrote an afro-punk novel called "Everfair" that I enjoyed.

Steven That's a great suggestion thank you! I had seen this book earlier but forgot its name, but now I will definitely check it out! :)