Tracy Grant Book Club discussion

What's everyone reading this weekend?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 738 comments Mod
Happy Easter to all celebrating!

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Thorpe | 193 comments I hope you had a wonderful time. I saw the cute picture of you and Melanie. You both seem to be having a wonderful time.

This weekend I started a new book, The Return of Captain John Emmett, but Elizabeth Speller. It is set after WWI, 1921, about the mysterious death of former soldier. So far, it is really well written setting the time period especially the horrors of the war and its effect on the men returning home from the battlefields.

message 3: by Patti (new)

Patti | 96 comments two series I read that track that time period -both by Charles Todd-his Bess Crawford and Insp Ian Rutledge--I really enjoy both
something I saw online
When reading we dont fall in love with the characters apperance.'We fall in love with their words, their thoughts and their hearts. We fall in love with their souls.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Thorpe | 193 comments Patti, I like that quote. I have read all of the Inspector Rutledge series. I think they are wonderfully written especially the last one "Black Ascot ".

message 5: by Patti (new)

Patti | 96 comments I have yet to read Black Ascot I only get books from the library once a month and they dont always have the most current

message 6: by Betty (new)

Betty Strohecker | 140 comments Patti and Kim - Have either of you read The Walnut Tree by Charles Todd? It's a stand alone, but mentions Bess Crawford, so I wanted to read some of those books.

message 7: by Patti (new)

Patti | 96 comments Yes , I read Walnut Tree but after I had already started reading the Bess series

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 738 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "I hope you had a wonderful time. I saw the cute picture of you and Melanie. You both seem to be having a wonderful time.

This weekend I started a new book, The Return of Captain John Emmett, but E..."
''

Thanks, Kim! I ended up having to work quite a bit on Easter, but we had a very fun time celebrating.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 738 comments Mod
Love all the books and series that get mentioned in these threads!

Patti, I love that quote too!

How important is the appearance of characters in books to you? I know it really matters to some people while others don't seem to care.

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Thorpe | 193 comments I love complex characters. I think that is why I love characters like Carfax. There is so much more to him. You never know what he will do, but he always has a plan! The same is true for Malcolm as well. His backstory and his love of his family along with his belief in a better world make him really interesting to read.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 738 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "I love complex characters. I think that is why I love characters like Carfax. There is so much more to him. You never know what he will do, but he always has a plan! The same is true for Malcolm as..."

I love complex characters too! It's interesting to have you mention both Carfax and Malcolm. They are quite different, but I agree they are both complicated and can be challenging to read.

message 12: by Patti (new)

Patti | 96 comments Tracy wrote: "Love all the books and series that get mentioned in these threads!

How important is the appearance of characters in books to you? I know it really matters to some pe..."

while I read the authors descriptions I cant quite picture how a character looks so aree it the character of the character!

message 13: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 738 comments Mod
Patti wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Love all the books and series that get mentioned in these threads!

How important is the appearance of characters in books to you? I know it really matt..."

I think the character of the character is more important. Though I do tend to visualize when I read.

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra | 92 comments I like a general description of a character's appearance, like if someone's supposed to be handsome or not, tall or short. But I tend to ignore or forget the details of the appearance and just make up a picture in my head. For example, I never remember characters hair colors and usually have a different image in my mind.

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 738 comments Mod
Petra wrote: "I like a general description of a character's appearance, like if someone's supposed to be handsome or not, tall or short. But I tend to ignore or forget the details of the appearance and just make..."

That's so interesting, Petra! I know I sometimes imagine a particular actor in a role in a book I'm reading who doesn't really look like the way the character is described.

message 16: by Patti (new)

Patti | 96 comments I too usually pick an actor or even someone I saw in the waiting room at hospital w basedon the gen neral desscriptioni the author gave---but all my Davids seem to be blonds

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 738 comments Mod
Patti wrote: "I too usually pick an actor or even someone I saw in the waiting room at hospital w basedon the gen neral desscriptioni the author gave---but all my Davids seem to be blonds"

That's interesting, Patti! Who do you see as David?

message 18: by Patti (new)

Patti | 96 comments in spite of the fact I said blond--backwhen we were posting a lot of pic and I was doing my covers--I chose a very young Colin First -collage age he seemed to be vulnerable I do not rememberthe movie

message 19: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 738 comments Mod
Patti wrote: "in spite of the fact I said blond--backwhen we were posting a lot of pic and I was doing my covers--I chose a very young Colin First -collage age he seemed to be vulnerable I do not rememberthe movie"

Colin Firth? I could definitely see him as David!

message 20: by Patti (new)

Patti | 96 comments sorry my sight and typing are having a hard time
Thursday is my first radiation treatment--HOPEFULLY that will help

message 21: by Betty (new)

Betty Strohecker | 140 comments Hope it goes well, Patti. Praying fir you.

message 22: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 738 comments Mod
Thinking good thoughts, Patti!

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Thorpe | 193 comments Good Luck Patti. Praying for your success.

message 24: by Patti (new)

Patti | 96 comments I appreciate my on line friends so much--thank you for your good thoughts