Play Book Tag discussion

The Sobbin' Women
This topic is about The Sobbin' Women
April 2019: History > The Sobbin' Women by Stephen Vincent Benet - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Theresa | 6702 comments If you are at all familiar with the great movie musical 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers', this is the short story that inspired it! Just proves that taming the wild west and the men in it required a woman's smarts, not just felling trees and homesteading. Milly uses the history of the Sabine Women in Ancient Rome as the guide to marrying off her 6 brothers-in-law. She plotted her campaign like a 5 star general, and succeeded.

message 2: by Joanne (last edited Apr 22, 2019 06:49AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7492 comments Loved Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! The old-time musicals were (still are) the best entertainment.

Theresa | 6702 comments Joanne wrote: "Loved Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! The old-time musicals were (still are) the best entertainment."

I saw it again on TCM cable channel a week or so ago, which made me hunt out a copy of the short story to read again (it's available in digital free from Gutenberg). So many fantastic songs, and that amazing choreography! Few to this day have rivaled the choreography in that barn raising. I also did a little reading about the making of the film. MGM gave it a ridiculously small budget and tight shooting schedule - because all its energy and money was going into Brigadoon which MGM considered the big musical that was going to live forever....well guess what? It wasn't.

Just shows that movie producers and moguls don't always guess right. On the other hand, would it have been as good without the small budget and tight shooting schedule? Maybe not.