Middle East/North African Lit discussion

Arabic literature > Best 100 Arabic Novels

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 753 comments Best 100 Arabic Novels
https://www.listchallenges.com/best-1...
How many have you read?
I have only read 7 on this list, so have a lot of reading to do!

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 207 comments Jalilah wrote: "Best 100 Arabic Novels
https://www.listchallenges.com/best-1...
How many have you read?
I have only read 7 on this..."

Yikes, I’ve read only 2. Typically my Mahfouz readings save me, but this list only includes one novel per author so ...

I wonder whether all of the listed novels have been translated into English. I suspect not.

message 3: by Niledaughter (last edited Apr 24, 2019 02:20AM) (new)

Niledaughter | 2750 comments Mod
Here is what Marcia wrote about the list
https://arablit.org/2010/04/23/the-be...

Sadly I read only 12 books

1Palace Walk , I read Cairo trilogy very long time ago , I think I need to re-read it
2The Secret Life of Saeed: The Pessoptimist , difficult read
3Love In Exile
4No One Sleeps in Alexandria
5Memory in the Flesh
6Season of Migration to the North
7Sinners
8The Man from Bashmour: A Modern Arabic Novel
9The Story of Zahra
10The Call of the Curlew
11Granada - the three part sand only part one is available in English .

12السقا مات- one of my favorites , sadly no English translation

#There are a lot on my to read list but mostly I want to read
The Seven Days of Man
Return of the Spirit: Tawfiq Al-Hakim's Classic Novel of the 1919 Revolution
The Hostage

# By the way Reading Beirut Nightmares will fit with our currently topic if anyone is interested to lead a discussion .

message 4: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) | 166 comments I've only read Season of Migration to the North and Granada. Many of these books I've never heard of. Exciting!

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 207 comments Zanna wrote: "I've only read Season of Migration to the North and Granada. Many of these books I've never heard of. Exciting!"

Mine were Season and Palace Walk.

message 6: by Niledaughter (new)

Do you like to have a challenge or group reads from the list ?

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue | 628 comments I have only read 4. So many books, so little time!

message 8: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 753 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Do you like to have a challenge or group reads from the list ?"

This could be a good idea for next year!

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue | 628 comments That does sound good though I do wonder about availability. I haven’t checked so maybe that won’t be an issue.

message 10: by Niraj (new)

Niraj (njdreads) | 27 comments So many wonderful novels on the list, and beautiful covers to boot! Only read Season of M.... keep meaning to read Mahfouz but it just hasn't been happening recently :/

message 11: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Sue wrote: "I have only read 4. So many books, so little time!"

A challenge sounds like a great idea.
We could use the current challenge list and chose books from either the Arab Writers 105 List or the Banipal 100 list. Some of the books we have read may have come from the List without us knowing we reading books from a List. Some books have an English translation. Some don’t. Some books are expensive, some aren’t. Books seem to be library books, ebooks, new, and/or used.

I’ve been trying to read from this list for awhile. So far read 10 and have 8 in a to be read pile.

The Banipal issue 63 also has a list of 100 books that includes recent novels as well as 20th century novels.

message 12: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) I've only read Cities of Salt, but I do have Gate of the Sun and The Story of Zahra on hand. This may be a good excuse for reading at least one of them sooner rather than later.

message 13: by Niledaughter (new)

I will try to make a thread with links to all the ones we read in the group over the years . you can suggest buddy reads here if you like .

Yes Jalila we can make something out of this next year !:)

Nan wrote: "The Banipal issue 63 also has a list of 100 books that includes recent novels as well as 20th century novels. ..."

I can not reach the list , it need subscription :(

message 14: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Niledaughter wrote: "I will try to make a thread with links to all the ones we read in the group over the years . you can suggest buddy reads here if you like .

Yes Jalila we can make something out of this next year ..."

Aubrey wrote: "I've only read Cities of Salt, but I do have Gate of the Sun and The Story of Zahra on hand. This may be a good excuse for reading at least one of them soo..."

I have the Banipal List and am compulsively in the process of comparing this list with the AWU List. When I’m finished I’ll post the new additions. According to Banipal, page 107 “Banipal’s new List shares 44 titles, but includes another 35 novels that did not make the AWU list, and 21 titles published after 2001, representing the new generation of novelists.”

Newly published novels include Frankenstein In Baghdad, Papa Sartre, In Praise Of Hatred, and The Bamboo Stalk.

message 15: by Niledaughter (new)

Nan wrote: " When I’m finished I’ll post the new additionso..."

This will be great , thanks !

Nan wrote: "NNewly published novels include Frankenstein In Baghdad, Papa Sartre, In Praise Of Hatred, and The Bamboo Stalk. ."

It seems that they included winners or shortlisted novels of " the international prize of Arabic fiction"
https://www.arabicfiction.org/en

I already read In Praise of Hatred and The Bamboo Stalk .

message 16: by Nan (last edited May 24, 2019 10:14PM) (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Niledaughter wrote: "I will try to make a thread with links to all the ones we read in the group over the years . you can suggest buddy reads here if you like .

Yes Jalila we can make something out of this

Obviously I wanted to write - i’m Hoping this is NOT SEEN as disresptful to any author.

Here are the first 30 books without authors names on the recent Banipal List. Im hoping this is seen as disrespectful to any author. I’m writing this on an iPad. The number on the left next to the title is the book’s number for the Banipal List. The number on the right is the book’s number on the AWU list of 105 books. It’s not a perfect list. I’m still trying to figure out how to link titles. If there is no AWU number it’s because I couldn’t find it on that List.
1. Season of Migration to the North - 24
2. Cairo Trilogy - 1
3. For Bread Alone - 23
4. The Secret Life of Saeed The Pessoptimist - 6
5. Children of the Alley - ?
6. Zayni Barakat - 15
7. Cities of Salt - 105
8. In Search of Walid Masoud - 2
9. Rama and the Dragon - 8
10. Gate of the Sun - 42
11. Men In The Sun - 5

12. Seeds Of Corruption
13. The Heron - 41
14. Noone Sleeps In Alexandria - 18
15. Frankenstein In Baghdad
16. The Harafish
17. Share al-Mutawassit
(East Of The Mediterranean) -
18. The Long Way Back - 13
19. A Banquet For Seaweed -
20. Zaat, (listed with Honor) - 3

21. The Palm Tree and The Neighbors -
22. Papa Satre
23. The Granada Trilogy (just Granada) - 59

24. The Anchor, Hanna Mina (the Snail and the Storm was listed 14)
25. The Lamp Of Umm Hashim, 36

26. Love In Exile, 19
27. The Story Of Zahra 52

28. The Stages Of Darkness,
29. The Druze Of Belgrade,
30. Return Of The Spirit, 44

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue | 628 comments Thanks for your work on this. There are books mentioned here that are on my tbr, actually have been there for a while.

message 18: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Sue wrote: "Thanks for your work on this. There are books mentioned here that are on my tbr, actually have been there for a while."

You are welcome. Happy Reading.

message 19: by Niledaughter (new)

Thanks Nan ! :)

message 20: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Thanks Nan ! :)"
You are welcome. I’m hoping to add more to the list soon. Maybe even with links.

message 21: by Niledaughter (new)

I moved this discussion to the Arabic literature section and started the list of discussions in here

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

#Note: the thread will be updated gradually .

message 22: by Niledaughter (new)

Please tell me which novels you are interested in reading in general , in other threads there was talking about :

Palace Walk- actually the whole Cairo triology
Zayni Barakat
The Lodging House
The Seven Days of Man

message 23: by Marcia, Arabic Literature (in English) (new)

Marcia Lynx | 155 comments Mod
Is "The Seven Days of Man" in print / available?

message 24: by Niledaughter (new)

Marcia wrote: "Is "The Seven Days of Man" in print / available?"

Sadly I do not know as I have the Arabic version , if you believe it is not; then we have to be careful about choosing it as a group read .

message 25: by Niledaughter (last edited Jul 04, 2019 10:48AM) (new)

Niledaughter wrote: "I moved this discussion to the Arabic literature section and started the list of discussions in here

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

I updated the list , we read 8 books in the group from this list so far .

message 26: by Niledaughter (new)

Nan wrote: "Niledaughter wrote: "I will try to make a thread with links to all the ones we read in the group over the years . you can suggest buddy reads here if you like .

Yes Jalila we can make something o..."

I thought of adding Marcia's thoughts about this list :)
https://arablit.org/2018/11/19/on-ban...

message 27: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Please tell me which novels you are interested in reading in general , in other threads there was talking about :

Palace Walk- actually the whole Cairo triology
[book:Zayni Barakat|8..."

Niledaughter wrote: "I moved this discussion to the Arabic literature section and started the list of discussions in here

I’d be interested in reading and hearing what others think of Zayni Barakat.

Also has anyone read or know anything about Seven Days Of Man?

message 28: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Niledaughter wrote: "I moved this discussion to the Arabic literature section and started the list of discussions in here

Thank you, Niledaughter for organizing this list. I found Marcia’s link helpful in organizing my own list of what to read next and next and next.

message 29: by Kenza (last edited Jul 05, 2019 03:34AM) (new)

Kenza | 32 comments Marcia wrote: "Is "The Seven Days of Man" in print / available?"

The last printed edition, and maybe the only one, is from 1996, and there seem to be few new copies available, also very expensive. The copies used are at a brand new price.

message 30: by Niledaughter (new)

Nan , you are welcome ..

For "the seven days of a man " , if books are out of print this means there is no available copies at libraries?

message 31: by Kenza (new)

Kenza | 32 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Nan , you are welcome ..

For "the seven days of a man " , if books are out of print this means there is no available copies at libraries?"

Everything depends on the library and where you live. Where I live in libraries there are no fiction books in English except some best seller of the moment worldwide, hopefully some classic like Shakespiere, but finding Arabic literature in English is impossible, my only option is always to buy, new or used.

message 32: by Niledaughter (new)

I see an available copy to borrow from open liberary ( part of archive.org)

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL96729...

message 33: by Kenza (new)

Kenza | 32 comments Niledaughter wrote: "I see an available copy to borrow from open liberary ( part of archive.org)

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL96729..."

The original question was if it would be possible to find it print.

message 34: by Niledaughter (new)

I am sorry about that Kenza . I do not face such problem because I read in Arabic .
I face it with other books , for it I use open liberary before buying , it has a big data base , maybe you will find your needs there .

message 35: by Niledaughter (new)

I am on my phone and I loose posts!
I understand your point , thanks.

message 36: by Kenza (new)

Kenza | 32 comments Niledaughter wrote: "I am on my phone and I loose posts!
I understand your point , thanks."

Thank you, no problem: Yes, I was answering Marcia's question. In my case I prefer the printed edition, even if it is used. I am not able to read a book on the computer or tablet, but your link is a good option for those who don't mind reading on a screen.

message 37: by Nan (last edited Jul 07, 2019 06:38AM) (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Nan wrote: "Niledaughter wrote: "I will try to make a thread with links to all the ones we read in the group over the years . you can suggest buddy reads here if you like .

Yes Jalila we can make something o..."

Here are books 31-50 on the Banipal list of 100 Best Arabic Novels.
There are authors and publication dates. An * indicates a novel published after 2000. There are no references to the AWU List. I’m typing this list with one finger on an iPad and apologize for any misspellings.

31. The Sail And The Storm,
Hanna Mina (1933)
32. The Yacoubian Building,
Alaa AlAswany
33. Azazeel, Youssef Ziedan
2008*
34.The Thief and the Dog,
NaguIb Mahfouz (1980)
35.The Latin Quarter,
Suhail Idriss (1989)
36. Gold Dust,
Ibrahim al-Koni (1999)
37. The Open Door,
Latina al-Zayyat (1960)
38. Sultana,
Ghalib Halasa (1988)
39. Maryam: Keeper Of Stories,
Alawiya Sobh,
(2002)*
40. Haddatha Abu Huraira Qal (Thus Spoke Abu Huraira),
Mahmoud Messadi (1939)
41. Death. In Beirut,
(Tawahin Bayrut[Windmills Of Beirut]), Tawfiq Awwad, (1972)
42. The Hostage,
(Al-Rahina), Zayd Mutee (sp?) Dammaj (1984)
43. Al-Laz (The Ace), Tahar Wattar (1974)
44. In Praise Of Hatred (Madison al-Karahiya), Khalid al-Khalifa, (2006)*
45. Najmat Aghustus. (August Star), Sonallah Ibrahim, (1974)
46. Memory In The Flesh (Dhakirat al-Jasad), Ahlam Mosteghanemi, (1993)
47. The Bamboo Stalk (Saab al-Bambou), Saud Alsanousi, (2012)*
48. Urs Baghl (A Mule’s Wedding), Tamar Wattar, (1978)
49. Midaq Alley(Zuqaq al-Madaq), Naguib Mahfouz, (1966)
50. My Name Is Adam, Children of the Ghetto, Elias Khoury (2016)*

message 38: by Niledaughter (new)

message 39: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Nile Daughter You are welcome!

message 40: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Hi Niledaughter, my question on which thread should I post the next books on the Banipal List. This one or Links to our discussion of Best Arab Literature?

I’m working at being able to provide links to the books that are listed.

message 41: by Niledaughter (new)

Nan ,
you can make a new thread for the whole list with "Banioal list " in the title , it should be in this same discussion board (Arabic literature) .
Thanks again for the effort!

message 42: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Sounds great. Im not sure how to start the thread. Do you know where to look for help? Thanking You In Advance. Nan

message 43: by Niledaughter (new)

Nan wrote: "Sounds great. Im not sure how to start the thread. Do you know where to look for help? Thanking You In Advance. Nan"

Just click "Arabic literature" above left in this page and then "new topic" right on the new page, if you prefer that I make the thread; no problem .

message 44: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Nan wrote: "Sounds great. Im not sure how to start the thread. Do you know where to look for help? Thanking You In Advance. Nan"

Just click "Arabic literature" above left in this page and then "ne..."

Niledaughter Thank you for the information. I see how to start a thread. I’ll start one soon. My plan is to finally figure out how to make the complete list with links.

message 45: by Niledaughter (last edited Jul 11, 2019 07:45AM) (new)

Nan wrote: "My plan is to finally figure out how to make the complete list with links...."

Thanks for the effort!
For adding a book with link click (add book) above right the message box, in the window that opens type the book name or easier the ISBN to avoid the title repetition .

I hope this is helpful .

message 46: by Nan (last edited Jul 11, 2019 08:47AM) (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments 21. The Palm Tree And The Neighbor, Ghaib Tu’ma Farman (1965) (no link found)
22. Papa Sartre: A Modern Arabic Novel

This is what I get when I click on add book/author. I add the book title and get #22. No author, date or indication that this is a link others could click on to find the book. Now I see green which indicates a link. But I only saw black before.

Well this is a humbling experience. Helping to develop my sense of humor I guess.

message 47: by Niledaughter (last edited Jul 11, 2019 09:21AM) (new)

Nan wrote: "21. The Palm Tree And The Neighbor, Ghaib Tu’ma Farman (1965) (no link found)
22. Papa Sartre: A Modern Arabic Novel

This is what I get when I click on add book/author. I add the b..."

I am glad you figured it out :D
for no 21 , I am not sure it is available in English
author : https://www.banipal.co.uk/contributor...
The novel in Arabic
النخلة والجيران

message 48: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 150 comments Thanks for your help. I just realized that I was adding the nex 21-40 on this thread. Sigh. So I copied it and added it I hope tp the Banipal thread.

Also his work sounds like it is important. Is any of it published in English?

message 49: by Niledaughter (new)

Nan wrote: "Also his work sounds like it is important. Is any of it published in English? ..."

Sadly I have no idea , hope Marcia can help, I did not read for this author either .

message 50: by Niledaughter (new)

I wanted to post a link to Nan's list:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

« previous 1