Great African Reads discussion

Petit pays
This topic is about Petit pays
Archived | French Books 2019 > May-Jun 2019: Petit pays by Gaël Faye NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wim, French Readings (last edited Apr 21, 2019 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 666 comments Mod
One of the books we'll be reading in French in May and June 2019 is Petit pays by French-Rwandan author Gaël Faye.

In this "no spoilers" thread, feel free to discuss book editions, availability, expectations etc. - when you get into the book, please join us in the spoiler thread!

message 2: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anetq | 699 comments Mod
This sounds great and it's available in English on Kindle - so I'll join :)

Laura | 262 comments Easy to find in French as well on Kindle.

message 4: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 666 comments Mod
Indeed, I just ordered my (paper) copy and hope to get it by early May.

message 5: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anetq | 699 comments Mod
Who else started?

Nina Chachu | 205 comments I've actually started reading it - though in English. One of the book clubs I belong to has just finished reading We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families, by Philip Gourevitch, which is all about the Rwandan genocide, and some of the immediate aftermath.

message 7: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 666 comments Mod
I have also started reading and so far it is a pleasant read.

message 8: by Letitia (new) - added it

Letitia Mason | 9 comments I am reading in French so progress is slow but I am enjoying it.

message 9: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 666 comments Mod
Letitia wrote: "I am reading in French so progress is slow but I am enjoying it."

Letitia, wonderful you're reading in French! Not the easiest book I think, lots of vocabulary that is not very common.

message 10: by Diane, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane | 441 comments Mod
I enjoyed this. I suspect it is largely semi-autobiographical, since there are a lot of similarities between the main character and the author.

Laura | 262 comments yes Nina that's rights. He now lives in Paris and I watched an interview with him on the French TV. He is not only a writer but also a musician. Extremely similar. This begs the question as to why he chose the novel genre instead of the autobiographical. Probably to shield some of his early memories and people close to him.

Laura | 262 comments yes Nina that's rights. He now lives in Paris and I watched an interview with him on the French TV. He is not only a writer but also a musician. Extremely similar. This begs the question as to why he chose the novel genre instead of the autobiographical. Probably to shield some of his early memories and people close to him.

message 13: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 666 comments Mod
I also enjoyed the book. It indeed is semi-autobiographical as was confirmed to me by a friend who grew up in the same area in Bujumbura.