Great African Reads discussion

Ève de ses décombres
This topic is about Ève de ses décombres
Archived | French Books 2019 > May-Jun 2019: Eve de ses décombres, by Ananda Devi SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 681 comments Mod
This thread is for our May and June 2019 read of Ève de ses décombres by Ananda Devi from Île Maurice, SPOILERS ALLOWED (find the no-spoiler thread here)

Looking forward to read your views and comments!

message 2: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anetq | 709 comments Mod
I skipped the foreword, and luckily, as it turned out to contain loads of spoilers (so beware and read it afterwards)
At first I have to admit I found the flowery language a bit much - but it works really well and the contrast between the poetic language and the harsh realities described puts the lives described even more into perspective.

message 3: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 681 comments Mod
No foreword in my edition, luckily :)

The contrast between the language and the hard lives of these young people works indeed. I also enjoyed the poetic language, especially in the first part of the book.

The second part, starting with the murder of Savita, was more driven by the plot than by poetry. It was quite obvious to me who killed her, I found the story a bit too predictable, except for the end. What did you think?

A bit strange that Eve decided to finish him herself, instead of talking to the police inspector. Nevertheless, she (and the other young people of Troumaron) live in a different reality in which the police is viewed as the true enemy.

Valerie (valroos) | 277 comments I had a hard time liking the language - while I appreciate that the staccato rhythm she used fits with the (inner) world(s) she was trying to represent I thought it was sometimes trying too hard to be poetic. There were several times where I thought an evocative phrasing was ruined by adding on to it two or three overly flowery sentences, taking away some of the hard-hitting effect of the first phrasing. But that's a question of personal taste.

The story was a bit predictable but then I guess the book was less about story-telling and more about evoking 'un certain vecu' (sorry, am not finding the English words at the moment). I did like the ending; I saw Eve killing him as a form of redemption of herself and of taking back control, so in that way, it makes sense that she would choose this over going to the police.

In all the bleakness portrayed in the book, I liked how Sad's relationship to Eve was portrayed. His genuine affection was like a constant small ray of light, even though Eve didn't seem able to see it.

message 5: by Cam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cam | 95 comments Sorry - got completely snowed under at work and didn't manage to join any of the group reads. I read this book last year and loved the language - thought Ananda Devi did a great job at conjuring Troumarron and her characters and I remember reading the whole novel in one night, completely hypnotised by it in a way I hadn't been in a while.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ève de ses décombres (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ananda Devi (other topics)