Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

Books For Potential Group Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 230 (230 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Peggy (last edited Apr 21, 2019 07:26AM) (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 873 comments Our previous folder has been archived due to size; it went back several years. This new folder will be more practical, especially for those who use the app to access Good Reads. We are presently (April 2019) considering "Nethergate" or "To See A Fine Lady."

message 2: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Mendonsa | 403 comments Hi I love them both

message 3: by Barbara (last edited Apr 21, 2019 04:34PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Hi All, my last comments must have not posted for some reason . Always the way when you do a long and comprehensive one isn't it ! Maybe I got distracted by a small canine chewing up the edges of the plastic rug protection thing I have under the office chair. She is obsessed with the corners of it...….

Anyway, the gist was that Nethergate sounds like a good choice - as usual great secondary characters, the awful Lady Rosaleen and of course who can forget the Pratts...….

Are we on board ? Mary, I believe you do have access to your copy of this?

PS I am just as happy with TSAFL I should say , it is one of my very favourites

message 4: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Mendonsa | 403 comments I am happy with either of them - love them both !

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna | 143 comments I have only recently received my copy of Nethergate and do not have the other one being considered.

message 6: by Barbara (last edited Apr 27, 2019 08:57PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Well, lets go with Nethergate then shall we ?
I've opened a thread.

message 7: by Barbara (last edited Jun 30, 2019 10:49PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments We have more or less come to the end of Nethergate and a very interesting and satisfying discussion it has been hasn't it?

Tanya, and I think others, have said they would like our next group read to be another ( quite rare for NL) happy ending one.

'To See A Fine Lady' is one suggestion , and another has been 'How Far To Bethlehem?' which we used to do most years at Christmas but not for the last one at least. MaryC and Syb used to be great contributers to HFTB discussions .

So what do we think, my dear fellow Fans of NL?

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Are we any farther in deciding what to group read next ? All suggestions welcome - or votes for TSAFL.

message 9: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 701 comments I think TSAFL is a good choice.

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie | 111 comments I vote for TSAFL, too.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Goodo.
For those who may have forgotten, To See a Fine Lady's heroine is the redoubtable Araminta Glover from the poorest of rural labouring families. Her life journey introduces us to one of NLs best female villains, Mrs Stancy - and one of her sweetest heroes...

message 12: by Donna (new)

Donna | 143 comments I've just ordered TSAFL and should receive it by early Aug at the latest. Looking forward to adding another title to my Lofts' Books Read list.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Donna wrote: "I've just ordered TSAFL and should receive it by early Aug at the latest. Looking forward to adding another title to my Lofts' Books Read list."

Goodo. I think l’m going to assume we are going to do TSAFL when you get started on your copy, Donna, unless l hear to the contrary from others. Is that ok with everyone?

message 14: by Marie (new)

Marie | 111 comments Yes, definitely!

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin Grant | 71 comments Sorry to have been so absent. Life has been sort of overwhelming. But I love this book and will try to participate!

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna | 143 comments Donna wrote: "I've just ordered TSAFL and should receive it by early Aug at the latest. Looking forward to adding another title to my Lofts' Books Read list."

Barbara wrote: "Donna wrote: "I've just ordered TSAFL and should receive it by early Aug at the latest. Looking forward to adding another title to my Lofts' Books Read list."

Goodo. I think l’m going to assume we..."

My order of TSAFL has arrived. It looked familiar. Well, no wonder. I just searched My Books for all the Lofts titles I've read; among them is TSAFL, read in June 2014. I think now that I'm even better than good-to-go. Since none of the comments about this book sparked my memory of it, I'll see it afresh -- looking for the silver lining here.

message 17: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Mendonsa | 403 comments I think that, in Araminta Glover of TSAFL, we have one of NL's most intelligent and vibrant heroines. When The book opens, she is just 17, and already almost head girl at Pollards farm. She is always " reckoning " about how to improve herself and her lot, and, for that reason, is dismayed to find she's just fallen for Jan Honeywood, who is handsome, loving, and a good worker, but, still, just a labourer. She is far ahead of her times in that, although she is illiterate, she thinks a great deal, and, although she thinks it will be fatal to marry a labouring man ( like her father ), she also recognises their worth to the economic structure and feels sorry for them. It is a turning point in her life.

message 18: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Mendonsa | 403 comments It is interesting that Araminta, most of all NL's heroines ( apart from Sorrel in The Brittle Glass ) refuses to accept the diktats of her century and upbringing, where a woman's boundaries were strictly confined within the status of her husband, both economic and social, and where a woman's so-called " career" ended with marriage.

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny H (jenny_norwich) | 378 comments Is there going to be a new thread for discussing TSAFL or have we started already?

message 20: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Mendonsa | 403 comments I think we've started already, and I'm delighted that I'm actually getting messages now, and not being left out in the cold by the mysteries of the internet !

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Jenny wrote: "Is there going to be a new thread for discussing TSAFL or have we started already?"

Hi Jenny I will start a new thread right away and cut and paste the relevant new posts , I kind of missed that people had started.
I'm so glad , I was getting a bit despondent !

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments What do you all think dear members, that we start again the tradition of reading How Far to Bethlehem before Christmas? Like now, right away?

We have finished TSAFL virtually and we have all read HFTB , including our newest member Kassie, so how about it ……..?

message 23: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 701 comments Sounds good to me! By the time we all get organized to read HFTB, Advent will be upon us! And (referring back to message 7), how's it for a happy ending?

message 24: by Werner (new)

Werner | 683 comments It won't fit into my schedule to reread the book right now; but I'll certainly follow the discussion (and comment, if appropriate!).

message 25: by Kassie (new)

Kassie (kassiebee) | 8 comments I’m in! I’ll put the other on hold. 😬

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 61 comments OY, I wish I had seen this earlier - just got a PM about the book and I have to get it from another library branch.
glad to have another read here!

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Lovely, lovely . I think Peggy will lead the discussion and it will be so good if ther are several of us in !

message 28: by Karyl (new)

Karyl Carlson | 82 comments One of the loveliest paragraphs I have ever read is Mary’s reaction to the annunciation.
“It was all exactly right, that was the beauty of it;——“

message 29: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 873 comments Karyl, we’ve started the discussion thread if you want to put this lovely observation there. If you go to the home page, the discussion thread should be the first one you see.

message 30: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments I feel we have the momentum , even though we have barely finished the wonderful HFTB read, to start canvassing for the next one.....what do you all think? .

message 31: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 61 comments I'm willing - especially if we plan far enough out that I can find the book through the library.

message 32: by Werner (new)

Werner | 683 comments I already have reading plans and commitments set up into July, and annual common reads in the four groups I'm in that have them start in August. (This year is unusual, even for me, in the degree to which I'm scheduled up early on!) But I'll be an interested observer from the sidelines.

message 33: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 873 comments I wondered how other groups scheduled discussions. Do any groups pick a number that they want to do, like one book every quarter, or one book a month? Is everyone pretty satisfied at the pace we use?

message 34: by Werner (new)

Werner | 683 comments Peggy wrote: "I wondered how other groups scheduled discussions. Do any groups pick a number that they want to do, like one book every quarter, or one book a month? Is everyone pretty satisfied at the pace we use?"

In groups that do common reads, I think the most common practice is to set a number they plan to do for the year, on a set annual schedule. (Many of them do a new read each calendar month, although I'm only in one group that has a schedule similar to that --and I normally don't join in!). But it varies from group to group; each one is free to set the kind of schedule that works best for them, and to change it if they want to!

message 35: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments Peggy wrote: "I wondered how other groups scheduled discussions. Do any groups pick a number that they want to do, like one book every quarter, or one book a month? Is everyone pretty satisfied at the pace we use?"

I am Peggy, but very willing to do as the majority wishes . I kind of like our ad hoc method but happy to change that too if necessary , no probs.

message 36: by Werner (new)

Werner | 683 comments Personally, I've never had any problem with the ad hoc method in this group; and I'm a great believer in the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Of course, that's just me! :-)

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments So .. are we ready to pick something to group read do you all think ? ?

message 38: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 61 comments I have read very little of NL, I think How Far to Bethlehem was only my third, after A Rose for Virtue and the Gad's Hall books. (I would re-read Gad's Hall)
I'm just going to throw out suggestions based on what is at my library & see if anyone likes these:

Her Own Special Island
Scent of Cloves
The Town House
Jassy
Pargeter's
A Wayside Tavern
The Maude Reed Tale
Bless This House
Lady Living Alone
Madselin
The Old Priory
The Day of the Butterfly
Knight's Acre
Domestic Life in England (but nonfiction?)

the following all seem like they might be too grim? what do people think of

Nethergate
Out of the Dark
The Lost Queen
The Little Wax Doll
Copsi Castle

message 39: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 873 comments Jackie, your library has a fabulous selection of Lofts books. Mine only has four but luckily I own most of her books.

My preference this time would be to consider selecting a book we haven’t already discussed.

message 40: by Karyl (new)

Karyl Carlson | 82 comments I just picked up Michael and All Angels. It looks really good.

message 41: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 306 comments Oh, I LOVED this one. It's also titled The Golden Fleece. BUT..it's a continuation of Hester Roon which should be read first.

message 42: by Werner (new)

Werner | 683 comments Hester Roon got five stars from me, but I didn't realize there was a sequel! It's not realistic to think I can work in a read of it this year, but I'll have to check out the book description, and see about adding it my (already too humongous!) to-read shelf. :-)

message 43: by Werner (new)

Werner | 683 comments As an addendum, having read the book description and a review, it's clear that The Golden Fleece (1943) is a high quality novel --no surprise, coming from NL! As a clarification, though, it's only a "continuation" of Hester Roon (1940) in that it's set in the same inn where Hester's story begins, but in 1817, more than forty years after the earlier novel. It doesn't follow Hester's fortunes, but rather is concerned with totally different people in younger generations; and Goodreads doesn't treat the two novels as a series.

message 44: by Sallie (new)

Sallie | 306 comments Werner stated it much more clearly than I. A continuation it is. Each is enjoyable read separately but fun to see the references of some of the HR characters in MAAA .

message 45: by Werner (new)

Werner | 683 comments Sallie wrote: "Werner stated it much more clearly than I. A continuation it is. Each is enjoyable read separately but fun to see the references of some of the HR characters in MAAA ."

Thanks for the clarification, Sallie! (I'm going to keep MAAA in mind.)

message 46: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 873 comments It is one of the few I haven’t read and don’t own. Just a helpful note, The Golden Fleece sells for less than Michael and All Angels. Thanks for pointing out alternate names

message 47: by Karyl (new)

Karyl Carlson | 82 comments Oh, I am so happy I mentioned it!

message 48: by Jenny (new)

Jenny H (jenny_norwich) | 378 comments Werner wrote: "it's only a "continuation" of Hester Roon (1940) in that it's set in the same inn where Hester's story begins, but in 1817, more than forty years after the earlier novel. It doesn't follow Hester's fortunes, but rather is concerned with totally different people in younger generations..."

But it does contain spoilers for Hester Roon, so it really would be better to read HR first.

message 49: by Werner (new)

Werner | 683 comments That's a good thing to know, Jenny; thanks!

message 50: by Barbara (last edited Jan 21, 2020 09:31PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2098 comments For some reason Tanya has ceased to get any emails in the annoying way that Goodreads arbitrarily does, but in a private email to me she suggested Hester Roon too as it happens .

Yes, M and A is not a sequel to HR, hardly even a 'continuation' to my mind , I see it more as just a clever, nostalgic referential setting - a little NL gift to her faithful, lol. Jenny is right though, M and AA does contain HR spoilers.

Don't go to this next link if you want to avoid spoilers !!

We last discussed Hester Roon six years ago, in 2014, a good , fairly comprehensive read. I'm always ready to do it again though if it is the popular choice .

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

« previous 1 3 4 5