Great African Reads discussion

Ève de ses décombres
This topic is about Ève de ses décombres
Archived | French Books 2019 > May-Jun 2019: Eve de ses décombres, by Ananda Devi NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wim, French Readings (last edited Apr 21, 2019 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 665 comments Mod
One of the books we'll be reading in French in May and June 2019 is Ève de ses décombres by Ananda Devi from Île Maurice.

In this "no spoilers" thread, feel free to discuss book editions, availability, expectations etc. - when you get into the book, please join us in the spoiler thread!

message 2: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 665 comments Mod
This book also exists in English translation, Eve Out of Her Ruins, which ended second in our general poll for Eastern African reads.

If you don't read in French, you can still read the English translation and join the discussion here.

message 3: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anetq | 694 comments Mod
I will be reading along in the English version!

George P. | 188 comments I also want to read in English; I was the nominator of the book. Will the discussion be bilingual (English/French)? I only speak 1.5 languages, being semi-fluent in Spanish.

message 5: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 665 comments Mod
George wrote: "Will the discussion be bilingual (English/French)? "

Hello George,
In theory people are free to use English and French in the discussion, though it turns out to be mostly English that we're using. So you can join without any problem. (And else, there still is google translate...)

Sanne (sanneennas) | 18 comments oh fun! I happen to have bought the English translation rather recently, so I'll definitely be joining in!

message 7: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 665 comments Mod
The original French version is not available as e-book, though the English translation is...
My French copy should reach me in 2-3 weeks.

George P. | 188 comments Wim wrote: "The original French version is not available as e-book, though the English translation is...
My French copy should reach me in 2-3 weeks."

The Kindle ebook in English is $10. Though I have access to 4 public libraries, none had it and I bought a used paper copy for about $6 and am also awaiting it.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 262 comments Sam here. Coukdnt find the French version on ebook so have ordered a copy. Should get it in 2 weeks I hope

Valerie (valroos) | 271 comments Will also be joining in. I ordered the book and hope to get it in a week or so.

George P. | 188 comments I received my copy a few days ago and started reading today, just the forward and a few pages. It's a short book, but I plan to read it slowly while I also read several other longer books.
The writing style so far seems quite poetical and has a definite dark tone, which doesn't bother me (I loved Heart of Darkness).

message 12: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anetq | 694 comments Mod
I read this today - actually lying around a pool on a touristic island, where one only sees the pretty side - so oddly appropriate even if far from the reality of the book. I really liked it, interesting use of language as well - I highly recommend it.

message 13: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 665 comments Mod
I received my copy yesterday and just started reading. Already impressed by the beauty of the language, especially in French. Pure poetry. Must have been a difficult book to translate.

message 14: by George P. (last edited May 19, 2019 04:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

George P. | 188 comments I'm 2/3 through reading the book. After your last comment Wim, I wish I were able to read it in French. However the poetic passages are often very striking in English, so that I read many passages a second time. The story is an evocative one of powerlessness and frustration, something that many authors have sought to depict.
The style of using a 1st person POV that shifts among several characters is well carried off so far.

George P. | 188 comments Kind of a three and a half star book for me. Some good writing, definitely. The jumps between what is essentially poetry and straightforward narrative doesn't appeal to me as much as it would other readers.
If you've never read a book by a writer from Mauritius and want to, this is probably your best bet. I see that Diane rated it five stars.

George P. | 188 comments Wim wrote: ".... Must have been a difficult book to translate."

In my English-language paper copy there's an afterward by the translator with an interesting couple of pages of notes on how he handled some of the translation difficulties.

message 17: by Diane, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane | 439 comments Mod
I loved this book. The language is gorgeous.

Sanne (sanneennas) | 18 comments I just started it ... and can't believe that I'm already half-way. Beautiful language (and wonderful translation!). I feel this is going to be a late night as I have to finish this book immediately!

Valerie (valroos) | 271 comments George wrote: "Kind of a three and a half star book for me. Some good writing, definitely. The jumps between what is essentially poetry and straightforward narrative doesn't appeal to me as much as it would other..."

I felt the same. It is a very striking story, but the language and narrative style didn't appeal to me that much.
Another Mauritius author worth reading would be Natacha Appanah. I have two of her books on my shelves but haven't read them yet (though I think one of them is set on Mayotte, not Mauritius).

Sanne (sanneennas) | 18 comments Valerie wrote: "Another Mauritius author worth reading would be Natacha Appanah. I have two of her books on my shelves but haven't read them yet (though I think one of them is set on Mayotte, not Mauritius)."

Natacha Appanah was one of my favorite discoveries last year! I loved Tropique de la violence, which is also about a group of teenages living in a slum (but set on Mayotte). Her writing style is very different, so I would definitely recommend it to people who liked the themes of Eve..., but didn't get on with the writing style. Tropique de la violence is action-packed and written in very simple prose.

message 21: by Cam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cam | 95 comments Thank you for the recommendation Valerie and Sanne! I will try to find her books.