Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available for beta reading - Fantasy and Romance

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (last edited Apr 21, 2019 11:08AM) (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 11 comments Hi everyone, :)
I am Laura, an avid reader and soon to be blogger.
Along with writing reviews, I also lend a hand by beta reading/editing for those who need it.

I provide in text notes with highlights for typos, fluency, language and phrasing, as well as plot and character observations. As a professional translator and interpreter for English, I pick a lot of details that are most often overlooked and most of the manuscripts I've beta read till now have been peppered with colourful highlights.

After reading the posts in Beta Reader Checklist I realised I am more of a Critique partner as language and phrasing goes. Professional hazard I would say. :D
My highlights will also contain what I liked, loved or found quite awesome, but I will also let you know, with brutal honesty, what doesn't work for me.

If you think this kind of beta reading would be of help to you, PM me or leave a message here and I'll beta read your book.

At present, I only accept manuscripts if they are in the genres of Fantasy or Romance

message 2: by SJ (new)

SJ Clary | 2 comments Hi Laura, I just wrote my first romance (or any book genre at all!) and I would like you to read but I have no idea how to PM :)

message 3: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Sevov | 81 comments Hi Laura,
Glad to have you here. I have a 97K YA Fantasy and Science Fiction novel that doesn't shy away from the dark realities of life. It is the story of war, vengeance and family drama. I would like you to comment on world building, characters and their development, grammar, plot and give me an overall opinion on the story. If you are interested please reach me at ssevov17@yahoo.com
Best of wishes!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 11 comments SJ wrote: "Hi Laura, I just wrote my first romance (or any book genre at all!) and I would like you to read but I have no idea how to PM :)"

Hi SJ. PM sent. :)

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 11 comments Stefan wrote: "Hi Laura,
Glad to have you here. I have a 97K YA Fantasy and Science Fiction novel that doesn't shy away from the dark realities of life. It is the story of war, vengeance and family drama. I would..."

Hi Stefan,
Mail sent. :)

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha | 68 comments Eighteen-year-old Ludik’s heart broke last spring when saving the world caused him to miss his own wedding day. He made it home despite the odds, and discovered his darling still waiting for him. Now it’s finally time to marry his beautiful sweetheart.

Right before the ceremony, an encounter between a villager and a shapeshifter from a neighboring kindred ends in their accidental deaths. The tragedy threatens to spread when a witness returns toward his home with a mistaken tale of murder.

Now Ludik and his outkindred friends must hunt the witness through the forest before he calls his people to revenge against Ludik’s home. If he can’t catch his quarry in time to prevent war between the kindreds, his wedding will be postponed– indefinitely.

message 7: by Josh (new)

Josh Torres | 21 comments Hello Laura, I have a YA fantasy around 80k words, but even if you can do a few chapters, that would be great.

Seventeen-year-old Amelia is hoping to escape the monotonous life her parents have planned for her and embarks on a journey across the world. She’s always yearned for adventure but finds more than she bargained for when she meets a woman named Casey upon arriving at her first destination.
Casey, twenty-six, has been on the run from the head of a terrorist organization who's seeking her because of her magical ability to restore any item.

Not knowing her fate is intertwined with three others, Amelia unwittingly gets involved in a terrorist plot to control ancient generators that bring stability to the world’s energy, a phenomenon which gives the world’s inhabitants unique abilities. Should she decide to standby and do nothing, war will be brought to a world that knows little of it.

Let me know if you're interested.

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith (faith512) | 16 comments Hi Laura! I've just completed my 3rd novel, and it's in the genre of time-travel romance. I'll message you my blurb to see if we'd be a good fit!

message 9: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Hartmann | 31 comments Hi Laura! I've begun outlining/plotting my next WIP and just finished writing the first chapter. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to give it a quick read (~3K words) and tell me if I'm on the right path with setting the scene, tone, characters, conflict, etc. It's a fantasy/adventure with Grimm's Fairy Tale themes and a romantic subplot.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 11 comments Hi everyone,

Thank you for the requests. I cannot accept any other manuscripts for now as I have already taken on to way too many!

I'm booked till end of May.

message 11: by PaulBentham (new)

PaulBentham | 25 comments Hi Laura ,
I wonder do you stretch slightly to sci-fi fantasy?.
I haves two stories .Xiaon g12 ;features a maverick bounty hunter on a quest to track down a rogue agent,and uncovers a terrorist plot on an uncharted planet.
The second Transcendence;a businessman finds himself continually shifting through time ,in a series of his own past events and must use all his wits to find a way back to his own reality.
let me know if any of these would be suitable for you cheers Paul.[EMail;Paulsteele27@hotmail.co.uk.]

message 12: by Dareia (new)

Dareia | 9 comments Hi Laura,

I was wondering if you'd be interested in reading my romance/erotic novel. It's 125k. (It's slightly fan fiction, the main male character based on a football player but it can be easily re-edited, given I mainly just used him as a face claim and his profession in the story.)

Thank you in advance.

Summary:

“Marry me!” He blurted with complete seriousness over his face and she bursted into laughter.

“I think you had one too many tequila last night,” she croaked as she tried to catch her breath. She should have known something was off with him when he ordered everything from the menu after a one night stand. “I just told you, I dumped my 2 years of a boyfriend for the exact same question.”

“No. Just hear me out. This could be benefitial for both of us.” She wiped a tear from the corner of her eye, tilted her head to side and nodded.

“Amuse me, shiny eyes.” She waved at him and threw her legs over the arm of the chair. There was a crazy glint in his eyes and she was curious to find out what he had on mind.

It took 1 second for Harley to have her entire life to crumble, 36 minutes to lose her boyfriend and best friend, 6 hours 46 minutes to start again besides someone who needed her for what she was, fake.

Roman was desperate to switch clubs, to start again somewhere new where the shadows of past would blur into the background and he needed one tiny little thing to achieve his dream, a wife.

message 13: by Elena (new)

Elena Leman (elena_leman) | 44 comments Hi! If you're still looking for books to beta-read, here's my blurb. Let me know if you'd be interested.

Cheers!

Elena

Rough Blurb

Orobella is a cosmic wanderer, living borrowed lives in borrowed bodies. Her mission on Instaar is the same as always—collecting the psychic crystals while having as much fun as her new physical form is capable of, no strings attached. But once she meets the hypnotically mysterious Sambor, both her body and soul start yearning for more. She makes him an offer he cannot refuse.

In the world where creatures of death and darkness drive men mad, unfeeling has been Sambor’s greatest life achievement. As the future leader of the Lasota tribe and a spiritual tattoo artist, he cannot afford the luxury of mental weakness. Yet his meticulously constructed equilibrium is shaken up when a disturbingly alluring pixie promises to save his baby sister, in exchange for a sacred Lasota tattoo. He can’t say no. Even if that means his demons will get the best of him.

Filled with elemental magic, spirit animals, psychic terror, and a whole lot of sexual tension, this romantic fantasy is more than a love story. It’s a journey through a soul.

Genre: Romantic Fantasy / Fantasy Romance / New Adult

Word Count: 93k words

1st installment in a 3-book series (can be read as a standalone)

Working title: Instaar

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 11 comments Hi everyone.

I am sorry, but I am not able to accept any more manuscripts for beta reading for now. I am in the final stages of setting up my book review and cover art blog
http://themagicbookcorner.com/aboutRe...

and I cannot fit beta reading next to that too.

In case you'd like me to review for you, my review policy is in the above link.
Thank you all for considering me. :)

message 15: by Elena (new)

Elena Leman (elena_leman) | 44 comments That's lovely, Laura. I will get back to you when my book is ready for reviews. Cheers and good luck with the new project! :*

Laura wrote: "Hi everyone.

I am sorry, but I am not able to accept any more manuscripts for beta reading for now. I am in the final stages of setting up my book review and cover art blog
http://themagicbookco..."

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 11 comments Thank you Elena! :)
Good luck with your book and I'll be waiting for a copy for review. :)

message 17: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Miller | 106 comments Hi Laura, would you be interested in a paranormal romance where the male lead is a shifter?

Brooke

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 11 comments Hi Brooke.

For review?

message 19: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Miller | 106 comments Hi Laura, it would be for beta reading or critique.

Brooke

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 11 comments I am sorry Brooke but I cannot accept manuscript for beta reading for now.

I need to finalise my blog first. I'll post again here if I can beta read in the future.

message 21: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Miller | 106 comments Hi Laura, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Okay, that's fine, maybe another time.

Brooke