Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

Little Princess in Fairy Forest
This topic is about Little Princess in Fairy Forest
Light Novels > Little Princess in Fairy Forest Group Read

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Selena (last edited Aug 06, 2019 05:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1504 comments Mod
Little Princess in Fairy Forest is a breathtaking saga of a young princess, Lala, who must fight for her very existence with the last of her royal knights, Gideon Thorn. Her pursuer, the tyrannical Lord Designs Siegfried, will stop at nothing to wed Princess Lala and legitimize his reign—he’s already massacred the rest of the royal family.

Princess Lala and Gideon are doggedly pursued even as they flee into the Forbidden Forest, a land relegated to myth and legend because of dragons—the mortal enemies of knights. Join Lala and Gideon as they flee for their lives in an attempt to survive the traitor’s deadly machinations. Gideon is willing to do anything to protect his princess, even if it means engaging the mighty dragons in combat.

Discuss Little Princess in Fairy Forest here!

Reading Schedule:
5/12-5/18: Prologue, Chapter 1-2
5/19-5/25: Chapter 3-4
5/26-6/1: Chapter 5-7
6/2-6/8: Chapter 8-10
6/9-6/15: Chapter 11-13, Epilogue

message 2: by Selena (last edited Apr 21, 2019 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

So the reading schedule is based on the ebook, and since I don't have page numbers to work with, I kind of guessed a good schedule for us. I usually aim for ~40 pages a week, so I tried to do something similar here.

Let me know if the schedule should be adjusted because I'm a little out of my element with ebooks here. ^^;;;

danicatalyst | 5 comments I wish I have a copy, this sounds interesting.

message 4: by Gord (last edited Apr 21, 2019 09:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord I was able to find this on Kobo so I snagged it. I was wondering what to read next so I'll probably tackle this one.

Howard | 68 comments Just picked up a copy from Amazon. I love getting ebook credits for letting them ship my light novels (physical) when they want. It's only a dollar a shipment, but it adds up over time.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 4 comments Hmm, maybe it’s the translation, but I’m a little iffy on how all the characters are referred to by titles that feel like they need a “the” before them when used in place of pronouns.

Story isn’t really captivating me yet either. Seems very fortuitous that the dragon doesn’t just incinerate them and instead instantly makes friends with the Princess

Howard | 68 comments I'm about to start this weeks chapters, but, is anybody else getting the 4 panel manga feeling to the first few chapters?

Joseph wrote: "Hmm, maybe it’s the translation, but I’m a little iffy on how all the characters are referred to by titles that feel like they need a “the” before them when used in place of pronouns."

I noticed that in another light novel we read recently, Goblin Slayer. I'd be curious to know why they went with that stylistically in the English version. In Japanese, there isn't really a "the," grammatically speaking, to purposefully drop, so the sentence would have read normally in the original, I think.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 4 comments I read ahead. I’m out. You can’t write what was written in chapter 5 after the simplistic writing of the prior chapters. I’m out

Joseph wrote: "I read ahead. I’m out. You can’t write what was written in chapter 5 after the simplistic writing of the prior chapters. I’m out"

That does not bode well lol. Can you share what the problem was without too many spoilers?

message 11: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord I'm getting a little worried as well.

message 12: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 4 comments I will say this though. Ch 5 starts with very stilted writing and a lot of tell instead of show, which I’ve been accepting of in the book since it’s read like something intended for younger audiences (I still think the show v tell issue is a problem no matter what your intended audience is). Although that view was challenged by the current chapters we’re reading with the cliche attempted rape (that should have been a bigger red flag for me).

I can no longer accept that view after ch 5. It deals with stuff from some of the darkest chapters of human history and I will be very critical when an author decides to use imagery and connotations of it. There is no proper tact nor buildup you need for something like that. It was disgusting and insulting to put in a book about fairy godmothers and kind dragons.

Dang, this is written like a middle grade fantasy romp, but it got really dark in chapters 4 and 5. I'm not sure I like where it's going either...

message 14: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord I started reading the first chapter today and the writing reminded me of a web novel I'm reading. A fan translated amateur web novel.

Howard | 68 comments Just finished chapter 7 and I agree, thus book went from fluffy fantasy to dark fantasy quickly. As a fan of dark fantasy, thus book got a lot more interesting.

Howard wrote: "Just finished chapter 7 and I agree, thus book went from fluffy fantasy to dark fantasy quickly. As a fan of dark fantasy, thus book got a lot more interesting."

This definitely gets more interesting the darker it gets. Plot-wise, it's working pretty well for me. The writing really doesn't match the tone the plot would need, and I think that's what's throwing me at least.

message 17: by Javier (last edited May 29, 2019 09:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Javier (palchetti) | 4 comments I kind of liked the atmosphere better when the story resembled one of those classic European fairy tales from yore.

(view spoiler)

Very intrigued about the later development though.

I read ahead and finished this morning.

By the end, it still kind of resembles a European fairy tale, just one of the original darker ones. I feel like the writing's a little... too light for some of the content. Particularly the attempted rape and the child murders.

Considering those old fairy tales, those plot points are pretty reasonable for an old-school fairy tale. I just wish the writing wasn't quite so juvenile.

message 19: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord I just finished this off and my overall opinion is "meh". It wasn't a bad book but it never really ever did anything for me. Now to be fair to the book I'm also reading two other books right now that I am loving a lot so it's rather hard to compare to them.

The vibe I got from the book was all over the place which didn't really help. There were times where it felt like a children's/YA kind of fantasy, then there were moments that it got darker, and then there were weird anime moments thrown in. That's not even touching on that ending. (view spoiler)

message 20: by Terrence (new) - added it

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments I own this one. Only read a bit of the intro though.

I'm busy with that I Survived Using Potions one now, but I'll try this at some point.

Howard | 68 comments Just finished this up. The mode and style of story seemed to switch around a lot. About the only thing that was consistent is the good guys were good and the bad guys were bad (with the exception of the witch, which did as she pleased, kind of true neutral).

Overall a good read with a satisfying ending.

I think I'd call the witch chaotic neutral myself. :)

Did you like the style and mode switches? I kept getting thrown a bit by them, but generally I liked the book.

Howard | 68 comments At first the story seemed a little fluffy to me but the mode and style change to the darker side kept my interest (as a lover of Goblin Slayer and Zeroth Maria) and made me excited to keep reading.