Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Stonewielder (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #3)
This topic is about Stonewielder
Erikson and Esslemont - Malazan > Stonewielder [May 24, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Dramatis Personae

Of the Malazan Expeditionary Force

Greymane / Orjin Samarr – High Fist, Commander of the Expeditionary Force
Kyle, Adjunct to the High Fist
Nok, Admiral, Commander of Naval forces
Swirl, Admiral of Moranth Blue forces
Rillish Jal Keth, Divisional Fist of the Fourth Army
Khemet Shul, Divisional Fist of the Eighth Army
Devaleth, Cadre mage
Malazan 17th Squad, 4th Company, 2nd Division, Fourth Army
Betteries, Company Captain
Goss, Sergeant
Pyke, Heavy infantry
Yana, Heavy infantry
Suth, Heavy infantry
Lard, Heavy infantry
Dim, Heavy infantry
Wess, Heavy infantry
Len, Saboteur
Keri, Saboteur
Faro, Scout
Others
Urfa, Lieutenant of the 4th Company saboteurs
Twofoot, Sergeant of the 6th
Coral, Sergeant of the 20th
Tolat, A Barghast scout of the 4th Company

Of the Malazan Sixth Army

Yeull 'ul Taith, Overlord
Ussü, High Mage and Advisor
Borun, Commander of Black Moranth
Enesh-jer, Envoy of the Overlord
On the Stormwall
Hiam, Lord Protector of the Stormwall, Commander of all Korelri
Quint, Senior officer (Wall Marshall) of the Stormwall
Shool, Aide to Hiam
Toral Stimins, Master Engineer
Iron Bars, Champion of the Stormwall, and Crimson Guard Avowed
Corlo, A prisoner and Crimson Guardsman
Jemain, A prisoner and a member of Bars' crew
Hagen, Ex-Champion of the Stormwall
Tollen, A Malazan prisoner
In the Kingdom of Rool
Bakune, Chief Assessor of Banith
Karien'el, Lieutenant, later Captain, of the City Watch
Hyuke, A city watchman
Puller, A city watchman
Starvann Arl, Abbot of Our Lady the Saviour Cloister and Hospice
Ipshank, An ex-priest of Fener
Manask, A thief

Of the Jourilan Army of Reform

Beneth, Spiritual leader
Hegil Lesour 'an 'al, Commander of the cavalry
Martal, Commander of the army, the 'Black Queen'
Ivanr, Ex-Grand Champion of the Jourilan Imperial Games
Carr, A lieutenant of the army

Of the Crimson Guard

Blues
Fingers
Lazar
Shell
The Synod of Stygg
Totsin Jurth the Third
Brother Carfin
Sister Gosh
Sister Esa
Sister Nebras
Brother Jool Eye-open

In the Shadow Realm

Kiska, One-time bodyguard to Tayschrenn, High Mage of the Empire
Jheval, An agent of the Queen of Dreams

Of the Sea-Folk
Orzu, Patriarch of his clan
Ena, A young mother of the clan

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited May 20, 2019 04:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Prologue

(view spoiler)

Chapter 1

(view spoiler)

Chapter 2

(view spoiler)

Chapter 3

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited May 25, 2019 03:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 4

(view spoiler)

Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

Chapter 6

(view spoiler)

Chapter 7

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited May 28, 2019 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 8

(view spoiler)

Chapter 9

(view spoiler)

Chapter 10

(view spoiler)

Chapter 11

(view spoiler)

Chapter 12

(view spoiler)

Epilogue

(view spoiler)

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Omg. Here!

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm hoping to start a week before the main read. Life has just been too busy.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3486 comments Woo hoo!

Choko (chokog) | 5315 comments I will be here, of course 😎

message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Really cool piece of artwork I found of Coltaine.

Slick | 93 comments OH MY LAWD!! That is beautiful :O

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Slick wrote: "OH MY LAWD!! That is beautiful :O"

It really is. I'd love to see the same art from a few different perspectives. One including Squint and his POV and one including Duiker and his POV.

Slick | 93 comments Such a powerful scene man

message 13: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Scott wrote: "Really cool piece of artwork I found of Coltaine.

"

Oh thats so heart-renching! Thanks for sharing

Choko (chokog) | 5315 comments So, I started and just finished Ch. 2... (view spoiler)

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Choko wrote: "So, I started and just finished Ch. 2 ..."

(view spoiler)

message 16: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Posting to say i’ve started!
Excited about this one, not that Ove not been excited for every Malazan. But just love it so much!
More characters though?!?!?!

Choko (chokog) | 5315 comments Up to Ch 5... I do get lost from time to time, but I mostly know what is going on... (view spoiler)

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Choko wrote: "Up to Ch 5... .."

(view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Just started.

message 20: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Ch 2 spoiler (view spoiler)

message 21: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess wrote: "Ch 2 spoiler..."

Not the choice I would ever make but (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments will be here but terribly late

Choko (chokog) | 5315 comments That's ok, Mayim, we will be here:-)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 2

Btw, i feel like the writing is markedly better than the first two books. Now,I really get the Malazan feelings. ICE not as eloquent in describing scenes, and not as subtle in offering hints as SE, but it’s getting better.

Prologue
(view spoiler)

Chapter 1
(view spoiler)

Chapter 2
(view spoiler)

message 25: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Scott wrote: "Jess wrote: "Ch 2 spoiler..."

Not the choice I would ever make but [spoilers removed]"

Well, and knowing Rel would probably arrest/execute him if he didnt accept it...or else give him no peace.

message 26: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Barry wrote: "End of Ch 2

Btw, i feel like the writing is markedly better than the first two books. Now,I really get the Malazan feelings. ICE not as eloquent in describing scenes, and not as subtle in offering..."

Hey Barry,

Banith is located on the west side of the island of Fost, ehich is located to the east of Korel and the Stormwall. Im cheating and using the maps from this wiki:
https://atlasoficeandfireblog.files.w...

message 27: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments My guess of who Jheval is....
(view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 3
(view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Jess wrote: "Barry wrote: "End of Ch 2

Btw, i feel like the writing is markedly better than the first two books. Now,I really get the Malazan feelings. ICE not as eloquent in describing scenes, and not as subt..."

Thanks Jess. Much clearer than the maps provided in the beginning of the book heh.

message 30: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Barry wrote: "Jess wrote: "Barry wrote: "End of Ch 2

Btw, i feel like the writing is markedly better than the first two books. Now,I really get the Malazan feelings. ICE not as eloquent in describing scenes, an..."

Yep. The maps there dont really spoil anything so I use them constantly while reading.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Book I

(view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5315 comments I am so sorry you have to deal with that, Barry! I completely agree with you! Religion should never insite violence... As I said earlier, I hate religious zealots! They make life scary...

message 33: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Agree with your comments Barry.

message 34: by jess (last edited May 27, 2019 09:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments The more I read this book, the more similar the theme is and the story behind each character’s motivations. What Im trying to so ineloquently say is that there is a lot of the unspeakable truth of power, specifically with religion. Im kind of hoping some of these plotlines become divergent before converging again...

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Choko wrote: "I am so sorry you have to deal with that, Barry! I completely agree with you! Religion should never insite violence... As I said earlier, I hate religious zealots! They make life scary..."

Well, thankfully I don't really have to deal directly with those guys other than some minor inconveniences like traffic jams, seeing the riots unfolding on tv, having to stay at home (well not a bad thing lol!) because of the riots and relatively brief interruption to social media access. But, yeah, religious fanaticism of any kind is a huge problem in a lot of countries right now, I suppose. Sometimes, I feel like TCG is really sowing chaos in the real world right now.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 6
(view spoiler)

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barry wrote: "End of Ch 6.."

(view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3486 comments Starting today, hopefully!

message 39: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Up to Ch 5, and Im still trying to figure out the differences between the Chosen, the regulars and the Stormguard. Who gets drafted? Who is pressed into sevrvice bc of a debt or other criminal act?

Am I the only one confused? Does that get straightened out?

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Book II Ch 8
(view spoiler)

@Jess : I think Stormguard = Chosen. But, they need far more manpower than their own ranks, so they “recruit” from other places, usually prisoners or slaves, to man the Wall for them. Then, the Chosen act like the warden for these prisoners.

Choko (chokog) | 5315 comments Barry... About your Ch 8 point 1... (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5315 comments I also think that the Chosen, since they are chosen by the Lady, (view spoiler)

message 43: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Choko wrote: "I also think that the Chosen, since they are chosen by the Lady, [spoilers removed]"

So the Chosen are always Korelri-continent recruits who join to serve the lady? But then who are the regulars?

message 44: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited May 29, 2019 08:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I stole this directly from Malaz Wiki rather than summarize it myself. I don't recommend using this resource until you're done with the main series because it contains a lot of spoilers which I can edit out. For instance I know of people who were looking up one thing and found out about the ending of TtH prematurely.

The Stormguard, Korelri Chosen, or simply The Chosen, was a largely male religious military order worshiping the goddess known as Our Lady the Blessed Saviour, and dedicated to the defense of Korel and all lands of its subcontinent.

They were best known for defending the Stormwall against the onslaught of the Stormriders. The forces on the wall included the Chosen, who were volunteers and considered to be the core of the group, draftees sent from all parts of the Lands of Fist as part of long-standing agreements, and prisoners.

Every Stormguard fought during the winter season, and no Chosen was ever away from the Wall for more than a day. They were excellent fighters and excelled at coordinated group tactics. They were fanatical in their devotion, always choosing death over surrender.

On some parts of the Wall, Stormguard personnel functioned as overseers, chaining prisoners by the ankle at key defense positions. Weapons were withheld from prisoners until the last possible moment in order to prevent suicide. The Stormguard commanded from upper levels of the wall, descending ropes to remove the dead and lowering replacement prisoners into position with ropes which were immediately withdrawn. Whenever possible, the Chosen did not join the fight unless the available prisoners had been killed.

At times of great need they could take on the "Lady's Grace", an aura of faint blue fire that likely granted additional strength and combat ability while allowing them to ignore wounds.[9] The Lady's Mortal Sword Quint could channel the aura into a blast of energy directed at his enemies known as the "Lady's Wrath".

Stormguard uniforms were dark blue cloaks over silver-chased blue-black armour. They wore sandals set with iron nails for traction on the icy Wall.

The Stormguard were led by the Lord Protector of the Stormwall, Hiam

Choko (chokog) | 5315 comments The regulars are too, only do a different job, more like regular army... As I said, I think the Chosen are touched by the Lady... Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but this is how I understand it...

message 46: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Choko wrote: "The regulars are too, only do a different job, more like regular army... As I said, I think the Chosen are touched by the Lady... Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but this is how I understand it..."

Yes. It's like the Avowed in the Crimson Guard vs Crimson Guard regulars.

Choko (chokog) | 5315 comments Exactly, I didn't see your answer, Scott... That blue aura is the Lady's gift of some magic or energy, and I think she gives it only to her follower Chosen, not all of them on the wall...

message 48: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Choko wrote: "Exactly, I didn't see your answer, Scott... That blue aura is the Lady's gift of some magic or energy, and I think she gives it only to her follower Chosen, not all of them on the wall..."

I think we replied within seconds of each other and that's why you didn't see it. But no they don't have to be on the wall. They're a religious cult honoring the lady. The god and worshipers mutual power theme.

message 49: by Veronica (last edited May 29, 2019 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3486 comments Got a late start so I've only read the prologue so far. (view spoiler)

message 50: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Choko wrote: "Exactly, I didn't see your answer, Scott... That blue aura is the Lady's gift of some magic or energy, and I think she gives it only to her follower Chosen, not all of them on the wall..."

Oh interesting! Got it, thanks guys! Didnt realize Quint is a Mortal Sword, hope we get to see this power in action.

« previous 1