Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Those Above (The Empty Throne, #1)
This topic is about Those Above
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Those Above [Jun 15, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4433 comments Mod
Those Above - Daniel Polansky
Those Above (The Empty Throne, #1) by Daniel Polansky
June 15, 2019.
Requested by Charlie.

Arka (ruineleint) In

Arka (ruineleint) Anyone reading?

I completed 4 chapters and I like it

message 4: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Interesting, short series and on my TBR already but I am swamped this month so if I end up here, I'll be late.

message 5: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4436 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Anyone reading?

I completed 4 chapters and I like it"

I've just started this morning. I've read the first chapter and so far I think it's great. I did take me an hour to read 18 pages though, which is insane. So I think this one will take me a while, it's not absorbing into my brain easily and I was having to reread parts to understand what I'd read.

Bas is interesting. We've been told over and over that he's a great fighter, good enough to kill a god. I want to see it. So I'm excited for a big battle to show his skills.

Arka (ruineleint) 14 chapters in

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4436 comments Wow you're flying through! I'm not clicking that spoiler!

message 8: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4436 comments Chapter 2 complete (view spoiler)

Arka (ruineleint) Charlie wrote: "Chapter 2 complete [spoilers removed]"

I love reading her character. She is at the centre of everything.

message 10: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4436 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Chapter 2 complete [spoilers removed]"

I love reading her character. She is at the centre of everything."

She really is. I get the feeling that nothing happens without her approval.

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Just got to Ch. 2... Interested to see if it is based on stories of the real Iliryan mythology...

message 12: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4436 comments Choko wrote: "Just got to Ch. 2... Interested to see if it is based on stories of the real Iliryan mythology..."

Ooh I don't think I know anything at all about this so that could be cool.

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments I am up to Ch 12, and honestly, I am not sure what exactly is going on. I get the human political intrigue, after all, it is always about power and influence. Eudokia is really good at it. I enjoy her chapters because I understand the game. However, once it comes to those humans and the different mixes with avian creatures, I have no idea what the rules of the world are. Maybe I am rushing it and have to wait for things to unroll in their own time, just usually by this point in a book I have a better grasp of things...

message 14: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Finished, I really enjoyed it. Clearly this book has a lot of set up elements in it. but I really really want to read the sequel now

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Ok, I got to Ch. 14 and I am starting to see where we are going. The big human loss, where Eudokia's husband died 25-30 years ago; the bird people wanting to teach them another lesson since some signs of rebellion are starting to come up again; a ton of foreshadowing... Now we are getting somewhere...

message 16: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4436 comments Just read chapters 3 and 4. (view spoiler)

message 17: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4436 comments Chapter 5 complete. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4436 comments Up to chapter 9. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4436 comments Arkadeb wrote: "14 chapters in

"

Agreed! (view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Those Above (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Daniel Polansky (other topics)