Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Warrior Heir
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Warrior Heir [Jul 20, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
The Warrior Heir - Cinda Williams Chima
The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima
July 20, 2019.
Requested by Charlie.

message 2: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments //tentatively steps back into buddy reads

I'd like to join in please.

message 3: by Hailee (last edited Jul 13, 2019 01:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hailee | 2496 comments More the merrier Sha.

Rlygirl | 28 comments July 20 is the start reading or stop date?

message 5: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Hum. I shouldn't, but I want to join.

Rlygirl | 28 comments I'm in! Just picked up the book today.

message 7: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Starting~

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I'll be starting tomorrow night I think, excited to start this!

message 9: by Hailee (last edited Jul 27, 2019 01:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hailee | 2496 comments Well I was a complete failure during this buddy read. I forgot to update my thoughts as I read it since I was reading it during a readathon and just powered right through finishing it within about three days.

I enjoyed it but it didn't blow me away. It was a very 3 star book in my opinion. (view spoiler)

I'm interested enough to continue on with the second book though.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I haven't read very far at all, I'll post some thoughts later :).

message 11: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments I have not been a good buddy either.

I think it's an interesting story so far and I'm reasonably find of all the characters so yay. But I don't feel like there's really much I can discuss about?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments That's how I feel Sha, I'm enjoying it, but not much to say! We're rubbish! 😂

message 13: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I started it, just the prologue and some from the first chapter (that's around 7% of the ebook) but I'm not feeling it :/ I don't even know why, especially since I love her other series ! Does it pick up soon or is the beginning slowish ?

message 14: by Sha (last edited Jul 28, 2019 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Things shift drastically between the prologue and chapter 1. Depending on what you like in a story you may find Jack's more linear plotline more interesting it actually starts off. Idk. personal opinions? I actually really liked the prologue and was disappointed when it came back to the modern day.

I'm at 78% and so far I like this less than the Shattered Realms but more than the Seven Realms. Just don't ask me for particulars.

message 15: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 3 comments I just got the book hoping to start it tonight. Is it hard to get into?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Kaitlyn I've found it hasn't grabbed me as much as I thought it would.

message 17: by Hailee (last edited Jul 28, 2019 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hailee | 2496 comments Sha wrote: "I have not been a good buddy either.

I think it's an interesting story so far and I'm reasonably find of all the characters so yay. But I don't feel like there's really much I can discuss about?"

Charlie wrote: "That's how I feel Sha, I'm enjoying it, but not much to say! We're rubbish! 😂"

Yep I totally agree. When I was reading I did think about posting on the thread but couldn't think of anything worthwhile to say so kept putting it off. Next thing I knew I was finished lol.

I'm intending to read the next one in August because I already own it but if this one doesn't wow me better than the first I'm going to not bother with the others and move onto the Seven Realms series which I've heard is much better. The Heir Chroncles are only companion books to each other anyway.

message 18: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Finished.

I think the last half of the book was more interesting than the first, and I liked the Worldbuilding with all of the (view spoiler) I'm definitely in for the next one.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I'm still only 50 pages in and a bit bored honestly. I thinks it's possibly due to the face I've read some great books this week, things I've really enjoyed and this isn't up to scratch.

I don't find Jack particularly interesting and the people around him talk to him like he's 10 years old.

Here's hoping it gets better.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I'm 95 pages in and it's getting more exciting but the writing just comes across as very juvenile and the dialogue is cringey. Is it supposed to be middle grade?

message 21: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments I think it's supposed to be YA, at least according to the preliminary google search. It's also not very middle-gradey in theme, I think.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Sha wrote: "I think it's supposed to be YA, at least according to the preliminary google search. It's also not very middle-gradey in theme, I think."

That's what confuses me. The themes aren't very MG but the writing and dialogue definitely are. That being said, I've read plenty of MG where the dialog was not cringey at all so I think it's probably just this book.

I'm just disappointed so far. I was expecting great things and I'm just not feeling it. I'm hoping I'll like it more as I progress further into the story.

message 23: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Well, age specific genre definition doesn't always work all that well because of all the potential for overlaps. I'm still not over the Animorphs themes two decades later, and the prose in those books was very definitely middle-grade.

I don't think I found the prose particularly childish, but I have to admit I usually shrug off the prose unless it really annoys or delights me. Delight for me is usually with pithy, witty prose like Bujold, Novik and/or Pratchett, while florid and "emotive" prose tends to make me irritated. This book's prose was pretty bland, which kept it from coming on my "notice the prose" radar.

I will admit that the dialogue is not very good, though. Prose I can willfully ignore. Dialogue not so much.

Hailee | 2496 comments Charlie wrote: "Sha wrote: "I think it's supposed to be YA, at least according to the preliminary google search. It's also not very middle-gradey in theme, I think."

That's what confuses me. The themes aren't ver..."

Charlie I think the story got a lot more interesting towards the last part of the book but some of the characters didn't get any less annoying.

It's been good reading both of your comments because it has helped me to decide I really don't want to read the second book in August. i'm still planning of giving it a go but I'll leave it till September.

I have filled my August TBR with loads of books that I am desperate to pick up and think I can read really quickly and The Wizard Heir was the odd one out I only chose it because it fitted well into one of the prompts I needed to fill (read a book with your Hogwarts house colours on the cover) so I have now treated myself to a new book that fills the prompt instead (My Favourite Half-Night Stand.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Hailee wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Sha wrote: "I think it's supposed to be YA, at least according to the preliminary google search. It's also not very middle-gradey in theme, I think."

That's what confuses me. The t..."

Definitely prioritise the books you're excited to read, you'll enjoy them much more.

Rlygirl | 28 comments Yeah, I'm agreeing with a lot of your comments above. This book had an excellent "prologue" but the rest of the story was rather YA/juvenile for me too.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I've picked this up three times in three days and put it down again. I'm just not into it. I think in gonna need to lock myself away and force myself to read it.

message 28: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Is anybody planning to continue with the next book in the series?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Not for me I'm afraid.

Hailee | 2496 comments Sha wrote: "Is anybody planning to continue with the next book in the series?"

I will in September. I'm not sure I'll like it any better but I own it so I may as well give it a go.

message 31: by Charlie (last edited Aug 08, 2019 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I think I'm gonna trade my copy of this book in to my local used book shop to be honest. It's not bad, it's just not great to me and I won't read it again.

message 32: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Hailee wrote: "Sha wrote: "Is anybody planning to continue with the next book in the series?"

I will in September. I'm not sure I'll like it any better but I own it so I may as well give it a go."

I'll join in. I like it enough to continue.

message 33: by Hailee (last edited Aug 12, 2019 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hailee | 2496 comments Ok great. Would the 5th Sept be ok to start?

I have a couple of chunky buddy read books starting the 10th and 15th so it'd be good to get The Wizard Heir finished before they start.

message 34: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1522 comments It's fine. :) I always have other books to read in the meantime.

Hailee | 2496 comments Great I'll ask for a thread now 😀