Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Pax (Pax #1)
This topic is about Pax
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Pax [Jul 5, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Pax - Sara Pennypacker
Pax by Sara Pennypacker
July 5, 2019.
Requested by Charlie.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments In! Thanks Jenna :)

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Siobhan wrote: "In! Thanks Jenna :)"

You're welcome :)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Getting my copy today. I've read a part of it a while ago and it's going to be very sad the first pages. Beware!

Melissa | 1264 comments Thanks for the warning Saar.

I'm a poor multi-tasker, so I expect I'll pick this up in a few days once I finish the current book I'm on. Perhaps this weekend.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments I was fully expecting sad just from the blurb!

I'm probably going to start at the weekend too, Melissa. I need to finish something I'm currently reading!

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments I'm starting this weekend too. I've tried to read this one 2 times, but I couldn't come over the first pages, because of one particular sad moment, but I have you guys on my side ;)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I'm starting this weekend too. I've tried to read this one 2 times, but I couldn't come over the first pages, because of one particular sad moment, but I have you guys on my side ;)"

We'll be here for each other. ❤️ I'm scared now!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments OK, I've made it through chapter 1. I might have cried a little... but I'm ok. 😢 (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Chapter 8 - (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1264 comments Siobhan wrote: "OK, I've made it through chapter 1. I might have cried a little... but I'm ok. 😢 [spoilers removed]"

Started tonight. Chapter 1 (view spoiler)

Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Melissa wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "OK, I've made it through chapter 1. I might have cried a little... but I'm ok. 😢 [spoilers removed]"

Started tonight. Chapter 1 [spoilers removed]

Chapter 2 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Chapter 13 - (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1264 comments Chapter 6 (view spoiler)

Chapter 8 (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Siobhan wrote: "OK, I've made it through chapter 1. I might have cried a little... but I'm ok. 😢 [spoilers removed]"

This seriously upset me! (view spoiler)

Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 8 - Well, Peter "

I'm quite conflicted about this. (view spoiler)

Melissa wrote: "Chapter 6 [spoilers removed]

Chapter 8 [spoilers removed]"

I liked (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1264 comments Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1264 comments Chapter 14 (view spoiler)

Chapter 18 (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1264 comments Chapter 19 (view spoiler)

Finished (view spoiler)

message 19: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Jul 09, 2019 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments I've started and I'm now on chapter 4.
Chapter 1 untill 4:
(view spoiler)
I don't know if you know the movie, but for a part the book reminds me of a French (?) film: 'the girl and the fox.'
Will continue tomorrow.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Melissa wrote: "Chapter 12 "

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Finished - I agree Melissa (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Melissa wrote: "Chapter 12 I'm glad he went back to Vola. Seemed to be a waste of a character not to see her again. And lo' and behold, she becomes a mentor figure.

I really like the quote about peace.

"I have ..."

Chapter 12 - (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Saar The Bo."

I'm also (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Up to chapter 18 (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Charlie wrote: "Up to chapter 18 [spoilers removed]"

So sad :( (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Still reading, but behind on everything. Not reading the spoilers yet ;)

Melissa | 1264 comments Siobhan - I don't know, I wouldn't have a problem having a nine year old read this. I know I read tons of sad animal books around that age. Where the Red Fern Grows and such.

Then again, I grew up with a lot of animals. Some that got into fights and came back bloody, some that had to be put down. And then there was the time I saw one of the cats catch and eat a pet mouse. There goes Snow White. I remember my mother taking us outside and being more traumatized than we were. I guess what I mean to say is that kids are pretty understanding and resilient.

That said, I still cry buckets when I hear that music from the Disney movie The Fox and the Hound! So sad!

Melissa | 1264 comments Siobhan - Oh, and yeah I'm still in Japan. I took a new job though and this year has been pretty miserable because of it. Still exhausted from moving this spring. I don't think I could bear recontracting, but haven't figured out yet where I should go next to find that place of peace, of being where I need to be.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Melissa wrote: "Siobhan - Oh, and yeah I'm still in Japan. I took a new job though and this year has been pretty miserable because of it. Still exhausted from moving this spring. I don't think I could bear recontr..."

Sorry it's been so stressful and exhausting for you. Hope things get better soon and you figure it out! ❤️

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Melissa wrote: "Siobhan - I don't know, I wouldn't have a problem having a nine year old read this. I know I read tons of sad animal books around that age. Where the Red Fern Grows and such.

Then again, I grew u..."

I guess you're right, kids are resilient and do need to learn reality. I must just be too soft! XD

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I'm finished, I sobbed! (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1264 comments Charlie, I know what you mean.
(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Haha thanks Melissa! That's much better!!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments On no, I just teared up again! 😅

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Siobhan wrote: "On no, I just teared up again! 😅"

This book man! It's killing me! I need to listening to some Disney songs or something, something happy!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Had the Moana soundtrack on in the car earlier! 😅

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Haha that'll do it!

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 8 - Well, Peter is pretty useless. Not sure how he's going to find Pax if he keeps breaking bones and stuff.
Glad Pax is doing a bit better with the other foxes. "

About Peter: (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Melissa wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "OK, I've made it through chapter 1. I might have cried a little... but I'm ok. 😢 [spoilers removed]"

Started tonight. Chapter 1 [spoilers removed]

Chapter 2 [spoilers removed]"

Most of the time if adults say to a child that it's for their own good, it's going to be negative for them. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Charlie (last edited Jul 17, 2019 02:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Saar I agree, I thought it was really cruel that (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 13 - [spoilers removed]"

I think that (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Melissa wrote: "Chapter 6 [spoilers removed]

Chapter 8 [spoilers removed]"

I even thought that (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Charlie wrote: "Saar The Bo."

I'm also really unhappy with the way the dad is handling things. He's doing a lot of damage to his son, it's not okay.

I never considered the mum killing herself but I guess that m..."

About the father: (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Charlie wrote: "Up to chapter 18 [spoilers removed]"

It makes definately sense: (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Almost finished. I need to read about 20 pages.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "Almost finished. I need to read about 20 pages."

I hope you enjoy the ending, I have very mixed feelings.

message 47: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Jul 20, 2019 04:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Charlie wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "Almost finished. I need to read about 20 pages."

I hope you enjoy the ending, I have very mixed feelings."

Me too. What were yours? I had the feeling that it was over to soon. (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm finished, I sobbed! [spoilers removed]"

Yes, that had been a good idea. It hadn't that 'they lived happily ever after' - feeling.

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Melissa wrote: "Charlie, I know what you mean.
I'm also glad that Peter found Pax, but in addition to the ending feeling rushed, I feel like the material didn't support the "happy ending" of Pax returning to the..."

Yes, it gave a false feeling of 'happy' ending.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Saar (view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pax (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sara Pennypacker (other topics)