Art Lovers discussion

Sculpture- George Wyatt

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 23, 2009 01:12PM) (new)

There is something very intense about sculpture, something very moving about the artistry and craftsmanship of the sculptor.

George Wyatt continues to sculpt incredible works. I have been interested in his work for some time. He is the sculptor in residence at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine here in NYC. He created the Fountain of Peace. It is one of the most creative sculptures I have encountered. The inscription at it's base reads:

"Peace Fountain celebrates the triumph of Good over Evil, and sets before us the world’s opposing forces—violence and harmony, light and darkness, life and death—which God reconciles in his peace."

If you visit, you may even come across one of the peacocks strutting around..what a sight.

If you happen to be walking around NY.. you may come across these sculptures by George Wyatt as well:

Fantasy Fountain, Gramercy Park

Scholar's Lion, Columbia University.

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Thank you, Mary! I find, through the other sculptures you've posted, that I am enjoying the other works of George Wyatt as well. The Scholar's Lion is so powerful and majestic, it seems to command attention and respect, just as a scholar's knowledge and intelligence would. I can't wait to show them to my aunt from California. I know she will appreciate them as much as we do!